Join our zoo community

Montekristo Animal Park

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by MartinSt, 12 Oct 2021.

1. MartinSt

MartinSt Member

Hi All,

As I mentioned in my introduction, I have recently become the curator of a private collection, that one day hopes to meet the criteria to open as an animal park to the public. I'm currently overhauling everything, from feeding schedules, to enclosure enrichment. This place has somewhat of a reputation, and I hope under my guidance we one day become an accredited zoo.

It's a long journey, and in the matter of public interest as well as my own records, I hope to document some of the journey here.

Here's an incomplete species list of what we currently house;

White Cockatoo
    Galah Cockatoo
    Yellow Crested Cockatoo
    Vasa Parrot
    African Grey Parrot
    Various Pigeon Breeds
    Rainbow Lorikeet
    Dusky Lorikeet
    Derbyan Parakeet
    Burrowing Parrot
    Common Myna
    Australian Ring-Neck
    Various Chicken Breeds
    Various Terrapins
    Cockatiel
    Various Quail
    Budgerigar
    Maltese Black Chicken
    Fantail Pigeon
    Frillback Pigeon
    Roule Roule Partridge
    Red Rump Parrot
    Kookaburra
    Barbary Dove
    Bobwhite Quail
    Zebra Finch
    Common Pheasant
    Ring-Neck Parakeet
    Rock Dove
    Guinea Fowl
    Golden Pheasant
    Hybrid Pheasant
    Guinea Turaco
    Emu
    Violet Turaco
    Diamond Dove
    Eastern Rosella
    Senegal Parrot
    Blue and Yellow Macaw
    Catalina Macaw
    Red and Green Macaw
    Chinese Painted Quail
    Black Swan
    White Swan
    Great White Pelican
    White Stork
    Grey Crowned Crane
    African Sacred Ibis
    Eurasian Spoonbill
    Mallard
    Guinea Fowl
    Peacock
    Mini Deer
    Rock Doves
    Straw Necked Ibis
    Greater Flamingo
    Japanese Crane
    Demoiselle crane
    Scarlet Ibis
    Mini Deer
    Ponies
    Lovebird
    Lesser Flamingo
    Patagonian Mara
    Sheep
    Goat
    African Spurred Tortoise
    Bengal Tiger
    Lion
    Ostrich
    Water Buffalo
    Camel
    Barbary Sheep
    Barbary Ape
    Baboon
    Ring-Tail Lemur
    Black Lemur
    Pied Crow
    Harris Hawk
    Red Tailed Hawk
    Golden Eagle
    Various Donkey breeds.

Some of the above might not be accurate descriptions of the animals, however it's a start.

I'll be writing up specimen profiles and posting them as time permits.

2. MartinSt

MartinSt Member

Woo, today I can confidently say that we house approximately 1300 animals, of approximately 110 species! I haven't quite identified all the various ducks, chickens and some types of domestic livestock, so I can't quite be sure, but I am working on it.

In the meantime, I'd like to introduce what I think may be our oldest resident; Lady at 25 years old!
    ID42_Crop_1.jpg

Lady is a White Cockatoo, and was hatched in July 1996 in the Netherlands. She is quite shy, however is more then happy to come collect a peanut or slice of apple if offered. I am slowly working on increasing her confidence around people, and the clever girl is learning quickly. Well, about as quickly as one could hope to teach an old parrot new tricks!

My next post will be about her mate, who very sadly doesn't even have a name according to the collection's records. I'm open to suggestions; and yes I've already thought of the very obvious one...

TinoPup likes this.
  3. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

What do you mean by mini deer? Muntjacs?

4. MartinSt

MartinSt Member

Indeed, you'll have to excuse some crude terminology here and there. As I mentioned our document keeping has been poor under previous management so I am essentially starting from scratch.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  5. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Awesome to see you starting from almost scratch! Some great starter species, and I am curious to see the enclosures some of the animals are kept in!

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  6. MartinSt

MartinSt Member

I am starting from scratch, the establishment itself has been in existence for 10 years, if not more, however has been poorly managed. Goal is to bring us up to standards, and open as a zoo, and join EAZA. Given what I have to work with, this is a grueling task; however I believe that we can make it work. Animals are getting regular vet checkups again, I've flagged a number of critical issues, we're working on improving the water quality, and animal diets and overall security.

Once I'm satisfied with the base care being given, I will work on enclosure enrichment, and improvement. Unfortunately a lot of the past management's attitude was 'that'll do' with little forward planning, a number of species are breeding out of control as a result, while others have suffered and dwindled greatly, if not disappeared completely from our inventory. It's not a situation anyone would want to be in, and will take great efforts and careful planning to fix.

The management aspect of it will become significantly easier once I start migrating data to ZIMS, as the paperwork and various spreadsheets I've got are a chokepoint for my work, and things on premises will start improving at a rapid pace once all the little maintenance jobs are taken care of, things which are otherwise hindering my staff's daily tasks (eg; broken lights, water access points, drinkers..).

I think one of our Vasa parrots is a good example of improved conditions & better keeping;

Mid-September :
    248337702_1060633298101926_8784286520669308591_n.jpg

Mid October :
    247183992_1379638739239429_5993204352578984805_n.jpg

Not all the parrots have bounced back quite as well, but they are all showing signs of improvement.

Edit: In regards to the enclosures there are some old photos posted on ZooChat already, unfortunately not much has changed to date.

7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read here with great interest and will follow the re-birth of this collection.

However to show a pic of a vasa parrots to prove better keeping conditions is strange. Vasa parrots, the female, lose portion of feders naturally during breeding season. Mature female will get for some weeks completely naked neck where you see yellow skin. Feders will grow back outside the season.

Here a pic from Zoochat gallery where you can see a mature breeding female in top condition.
    [​IMG]

8. MartinSt

MartinSt Member

There's my lack of expertise showing!

I take it to mean that both of our Vasa Parrots are female then. However, as mentioned, we have had signs of plucking on other parrot species; Macaws, and Lorikeets (Rainbow & Dusky), and those I am certain were plucking, as it extended down to the breast area along with the ruffled appearance. One Macaw was in a particularly bad state, is showing signs of feather regrowth, hopefully it will recover fully.

If nothing else not having an aggressive dog kept in the same area as the aviaries is a change for the better...

Bengal Tiger and PicanBird like this.
  9. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

From what I can see, very interesting to see the images that ZC has and you saying time froze basically in development. Some huge aviaries but tiny carnivore enclosures. I will definitely follow development in this.

10. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to ZTL, the zoo is still closed - has it reopened after the mauling?
    I can't find anything online saying it has, so are you just working behind the scenes in a closed zoo?

11. MartinSt

MartinSt Member

The zoo is indeed closed. These are behind the scenes glimpes into what I hope can be looked back at in a few years time as a success story.

PicanBird likes this.
  12. amur leopard

Oh I see - well good luck then! Would love to see this place resurrected :).

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  13. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

100% We’ll all be here with you on this journey :)

14. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

A new italian zoo? Great news! We always need more :D

15. amur leopard

*Maltese.

16. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Oh right my bad

17. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited this zoo when it was open, and under previous owners. You most certainly have your work cut out, but I wish you good luck. Have you purchased the zoo from the previous owners, and have you made a completely clean break from them. As I remember it was a large site with lots of other bits and pieces on it beyond the exotics collection.
    I am generally in Malta every 2-3 years (we have family there) so very much loo forward to coming to see how it develops.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are there any animals that you fear that you may have to give up to another zoo or sanctuary in order to make space for other animals?

Or is the owner not willing to give up any animal away?

Last edited: 31 Oct 2021
  19. MartinSt

MartinSt Member

I should clarify that I am not the owner, I am just the director/curator of the park.

To my knowledge we cannot currently legally transfer any animals, at least not to any reputable establishments. My intent is to lessen the quanitity of certain specimens when it becomes feasable to do so, or at the very least prevent further breeding in the overstocked enclosures.

Newzooboy, TinoPup and Mickey like this.