Join our zoo community

Monterey Bay Aquarium Monterey Bay Aquarium News

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 28 Aug 2008.

Tags:
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

beautiful aquarium

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At $49.95 for a one-day ticket, admission is certainly not cheap. In planning my upcoming visit, however, I have just discovered a nice offering. If you are staying in an area hotel that has a partnership with the aquarium (which thankfully I am), you can purchase a ticket from your hotel for the same price that is valid two consecutive days. So now I can go in the evening and go back again in the morning. The aquarium itself does not offer this through their website or admission window, you can only get it from a hotel (though in many cases you can buy in advance from a link on the hotel website).

4. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Once again, another reason to visit this amazing aquarium. According to their Instagram page, the facility has gotten two new seabirds that will go on show with their current Laysan Albatross. Another, younger albatross names Alika and the bigger deal, Suka, a red footed booby. Both will be trained like the aquarium’s current bird to be used to people and eventually go on show. In the meantime they can be seen behind the scenes.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  5. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. vogelcommando

YouTube clip about Monterey Bay Aquariums Sea otter rescue and release program :

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This might be a really stupid question, but this exhibit most likely won’t feature live deep sea animals, right? I mean to recreate that intense pressure that these animals need to survive must be really hard. I’ve heard of an aquarium (might be Monterey) working on recreating deep ocean pressure at the surface, but I didn’t get the impression that it was fully functional yet.

Either way, a deep sea exhibit would be really cool (only had the chance to see one once before) and would fit in really well at Monterey.

11. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Seems like a frivolous lawsuit to me. If the article reflects the entire allegation, the complaint is that once or twice a week after clocking out they had to drop some letters off in the aquarium mailroom on their way out. Do they honestly consider this a labor violation?

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The exhibit will feature deep sea creatures. I had the fortunate experience of touring the facility last October and their sister research facility (a colleague of mine works for the MBA). The organisms are collected in specialty designed pressure chambers, brought the service, and carefully adjusted to the pressure on the surface. All said an done, this exhibit should be a groundbreaking achievement for the institution.

13. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definitely a groundbreaking achievement. Being able to see deep sea creatures at the surface would certainly bolster Monterey’s already magnificent line up.

StoppableSan and Great Argus like this.
  14. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Regardless of what deep sea life goes on display, I'll have to go see them anyway! Luckily I live only 4 hours away! :)

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. vogelcommando

16. dinosauria

dinosauria Well-Known Member

17. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They seem to rotate through youngsters pretty regularly, they had 2 in the open sea exhibit when I was there in March last year. They do grow pretty quickly though so exhibit time is limited.
    Though some of the Japanese aquariums seem to keep rather large sunfish in smaller tanks, I wonder what the difference is.

bgeezle513 and StoppableSan like this.
  18. dinosauria

dinosauria Well-Known Member

19. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Statement from Monterey Bay Aquarium on the Huntington Beach Oil Spill

“California is no stranger to the destructive impacts of oil spills and offshore oil drilling. The 1969 Santa Barbara Channel disaster was a catalyst for the modern environmental movement, and for California taking leadership to ban new offshore oil production in state waters. This latest spill is regrettably more evidence of how devastating offshore oil production is for California and for our climate. As Californians mobilize to save our remarkable wildlife and habitats from this catastrophe, we also must accelerate our shift away from oil extraction and toward a clean-energy future,” said Executive Director Julie Packard.

https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/newsroom/press-releases/statement-huntington-beach-oil-spill

20. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

splendens and TinoPup like this.