Join our zoo community

Monthly Photo Showcasing

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Julio C Castro, 9 Jan 2020.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While it sounds nice, Flickr is not a good idea and is not necessary (no offense to the person who suggested it and I understand why you suggested it). There are several reasons. First of all, @Simon Hampel has stated elsewhere that he does NOT like photos inserted that are linked from other sources; he wants photos uploaded directly to ZooChat. Second of all I don't think it will overload the gallery because I assume we are only linking photos that we would have uploaded anyway. Third, if it is a showcase of our best work then people should not be uploading meaningless photos of animal rear ends or boring enclosures for the purpose of this monthly gallery.

2. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

You make great points and I didn’t know about that policy, we will just upload them on here and it should be photos worth posting which I think everyone is on the same page. It would be rather redundant if an animal’s butt shot kept popping up in the thread haha I know we all have different skill sets, I’m fairly new to photography and still want to learn to be better every day. I do believe there are so many talented photographers on here and I feel jealous of so many of them including yourself :( and I think there won’t be a problem if the same butt kept showing up that was rather uninteresting.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

You could create an album for each monthly competition?

upload_2020-1-13_9-49-13.png

... just be sure to set "View media in album" to "Everyone" and "Add media to album" to "Members only"

upload_2020-1-13_9-48-42.png

I'm not sure if that will do exactly what you want, but it's worth trying to see how well it works.

Julio C Castro and TinoPup like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Space isn't an issue anymore - it's more about clutter. Having hundreds of photos of the same enclosure from almost the exact same angle isn't really that interesting.

However, there's nothing stopping us from putting competition photos in a different part of the gallery so that they don't clutter up the main zoo galleries.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

PS. we just passed 400,000 photos in the gallery :eek:

TNT and TinoPup like this.
  6. Julio C Castro

Oh awesome! Thank you very much, this is perfect!

7. Arizona Docent

Julio C Castro likes this.
  8. Julio C Castro

I was thinking about what if we were to increase the amount of entries we could have per month for more engagement/activity to the thread? Let me know and we can settle on a number if the limit we have is too low for most or just want to post me. All the other rules will still apply. I’m seriously loving all the entries we have had, felines are taking over the album and I love it :p

Neva and Arizona Docent like this.
  9. Arizona Docent

I do NOT think we should allow individuals to enter more. We don't want it to become a showcase for just a couple members. The key is to get more members to submit photos, which I hope will come over time. We will try it for a while and see how it goes. If we are not getting enough entries we can perhaps change it to every other month (January-February, etc). On the other hand it may spread and take off...

10. Julio C Castro

You’re right, that way we don’t overflood it and those who are interested will make it spread further. We can do every other month submissions if it stays stagnant for a prolonged time, but it is just starting now and maybe in due time it will go around :)

Arizona Docent likes this.
  11. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

I just got aware about this initiative and would also like to participate in future - however all zoos are closed since several weeks and traveling is suspended for some more months at least…

How do you want us to deal with that - still sticking only to pictures taken in that specific month? If not - where to draw the line?

It might be an other option to open some 'historic' albums for either specific months, quarters or years where people could add (a limited number) of their best pictures from that period?

12. Julio C Castro

Anyone can join the group and of course they uploads can be from a long time ago, even before all of this happened I had mentioned before that the month in the title was more for an emphasis but older photos definitely can be uploaded :) I started the April Photo Showcasing and know about how hard it will be to get any, if possible, new photos during this pandemic. So please feel free to take a look at the new post in the Animal Photography forum to see the rules and can’t wait to see more of your work! :D