Join our zoo community

Moody Gardens Moody Gardens News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 18 Dec 2015.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Milwaukee Man

4. Milwaukee Man

5. Milwaukee Man

6. Milwaukee Man

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On Jan. 1 2021 a King penguin has hatched :) :

Smaggledagle and The Cassowary like this.
  8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another intresting ( and important ) hatchling : a Great blue turaco hatched Nov. 27 2020 :).

9. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I have just uploaded a rather comprehensive set of photos of the Rainforest in the gallery, they are the first images posted in over four years. I will post photos of the Aquarium soon as well. Here are some highlights of the Rainforest:

Last edited: 8 Jul 2021
  10. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Well, @geomorph are you going to type up a review of Moody Gardens? It's a fantastic establishment that is part-zoo, part-aquarium and other than the Giant Otters I think that all of the animal exhibits are indoors. A few years ago the facility had 6 penguin species, 4 sea turtle species and 3 pinniped species...is that still the case? Also, thanks for counting the exhibits in the pyramids (50 in the Rainforest and 29 in the Aquarium) as that's something that I would normally do but I didn't during my 2015 tour. :)

11. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I never realized until now that Moody Gardens is run by a non-profit. I guess I always assumed this kind of place would be a for-profit institution. I need to plan a trip out to this place. I probably can't do it as a day trip but want to spend a weekend in Houston at some point.

Also a red-knobbed imperial pigeon recently hatched according to the gardens twitter.

iluvwhales likes this.
  12. geomorph

I won't write a detailed review other than to agree that it is a very nice attraction and I enjoyed both the Rainforest and Aquarium. The only outdoor exhibit is indeed the giant river otter exhibit, although the only viewing areas to see it are all indoors either from the Rainforest or Visitor Center. The Rainforest is comparable to many of the finest indoor rainforest buildings in the country, and has a good variety of species, spaces, and flora. The Aquarium has 5 feature exhibits, 4 of which are viewed from two levels; it could use a greater number of intimate exhibits with a few species each, but those that do exist are nice. There are currently 5 penguin species and 2 pinniped species, but I did not see any sea turtles! Unfortunately the signage for the South Pacific and Caribbean feature exhibits is nearly non-existent, so attempting a species list for the Aquarium is useless. However I will post a Rainforest species list here.

13. geomorph

14. TheMightyOrca

Meet Duke, a 7-year-old California sea lion making a splash at Galveston’s Moody Gardens

They got a new sea lion recently.

I have a membership to Moody Gardens and I go fairly regularly. Do you guys want me to try and get photos of something specific next time I'm there?

I can confirm that the rainforest exhibit is spectacular. The open rainforest area itself has a lot of free roaming birds and lots of trees for them to hide in. You see something different every time you go, kind of feels like being in a real rainforest, lol.

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  15. geomorph

I would be interested to hear how the butterflies behave when they are on exhibit, have you seen them? It seems like if there were not many, they would get 'lost' visually in that huge space!

16. TheMightyOrca

They don't have the butterflies in the rainforest pyramid any more any more. The sign is still there though. When they did have the butterflies, they didn't have full roam of the rainforest pyramid. A portion of the rainforest pathway was netted off and you'd go through that.

17. geomorph

18. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2021 News:

On April 13th, the zoo announced that (0.0.2+?) humphead cichlids were hatched.

On April 16th, the zoo announced they have acquired a (1.0) giant Pacific octopus named Jasper which is now on exhibit in the North Pacific section of the aquarium.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=512418326445784

On June 21st, the zoo announced that a (1.0) hyacinth macaw named Coby has passed away.

On July 6th, the zoo announced that a (0.0.1) red-knobbed imperial pigeon was born on June 24th.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2022 News:

On January 3rd, the zoo announced that a (1.0) California sea lion named Duke passed away on December 30th, 2021, due to never regaining consciousness following a medical procedure. He was 7 years old.

On January 18th, the zoo announced that a (0.0.1) chinstrap penguin was hatched.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=708531033866713

On April 13th, the zoo announced that their (1.0) harbor seal named Porter has passed away the week prior at the age of 22.

On May 3rd, the zoo announced that a (0.1) western crowned pigeon has hatched.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1002703987041660

On May 4th, the zoo announced they have acquired a (0.1) California sea lion named Arnette.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1074009946486156

On May 20th, the zoo announced they have acquired a European honeybee colony, which is now on exhibit in the Rainforest Pyramid.

Also on May 20th, the zoo announced they have acquired (0.0.6) nurse sharks from the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Washington which are now on exhibit in the Caribbean Tunnel exhibit.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=7871535486197798

On June 10th, the zoo announced that their (1.0) giant Pacific octopus named Jasper passed away due to a decline in health in old age.

On July 15th, the zoo announced that a (0.0.1) chain catshark was hatched.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=5694151693957864

On August 9th, the zoo announced they have acquired a (0.0.1) black spiny-tailed iguana from U.S. Customs and Border Protection after it was found hidden in container stacks at the Houston Seaport.

https://www.facebook.com/moodygardens/photos/a.135646547824/10158922193682825

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  19. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

20. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member