Join our zoo community

Moonlit Sanctuary Moonlit Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MRJ, 1 Feb 2008.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

oh, I thought you might have been there in the afternoon too. Okay, there are some new photos in the gallery that I put there the other day.

The walk-in aviary is very nice indeed, and is near the entrance (to the left) next to the new (2015) wombat enclosures which you also may not have seen unless they are on the night tour. I'm not sure about the other one you mention? There is a set of three aviaries in the wallaby area which had those species previously, but they weren't walk-in.

The eagle aviary is really nice too, I liked it, haven't seen another one designed like that before (I think I've only ever seen birds of prey in standard aviaries or tethered). There are a few new bits and pieces about the place to see next time you go there.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

No, I missed the day visit unfortunately. But I did see the (excellent) new wombat exhibits.
    I was wrong about those aviaries being walk-in, because of course they are not, it is just the viewing shelters that are walk in!
    The new eagle aviary looks great, and I don;t recall having seen anything similar - although it kind of reminds me of the Livingstone's Fruit Bat exhibit at Jersey Zoo.

3. Chlidonias

4. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Is there a chance that Moonlit Sanctuary will keep any Tasmanian endemic fauna in the future, such as Tasmanian devils, giant yabbies or other endangered Australian fauna like mountain pygmy possums?

5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Moonlit Sanctuary already hold Tasmanian devils, and are heavily involved with orange-bellied parrots. We have held eastern bettongs and red-bellied pademelons since we opened and have held eastern quolls in the past and plan to again in the near future. Of course none of these three species are Tasmanian endemics but all survive in the wild only in Tasmania presently. Actually there are not large numbers of endemic Tasmanian species to choose from. If we were to hold a giant freshwater crayfish (and we would like to) it would probably be the local Gippsland spiny crayfish.

Regarding threatened fauna, about one third of the species at Moonlit Sanctuary have a conservation status. We prefer to work with programs for threatened species, and are involved with programs of one sort or another for orange-bellied parrots, regent honeyeaters, Tasmanian devils, spot-tailed quolls, and bush stone-curlews. We are unlikely to be involved with mountain pygmy possums unless the program requires additional spaces.

6. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Great to know. Your zoo is very unique and inspirational. I am still figuring this hypothetical scenario out but if I were only able to go to Aus for a weekend or so Melbourne and Moonlit seems like a top. candidate for my choice of where to go.

MRJ likes this.
  7. MRJ

Moonlit Sanctuary has just opened it's new dingo habitat. At around 1000m2, it is more than 8 times the size of the old exhibit. Included in the habitat are two rocky outcrops and a small forest. A bathing pool and sand pit are yet to be finished.

8. zooboy28

Sounds great, and by the looks of the map it is located up by the old wombat exhibit? What will become of the existing dingo exhibit?

9. MRJ

The new enclosure is on the opposite, ie west side, of the wetlands. The old enclosure is being demolished and the space will become part of a rebuilt and expanded koala area. This by the way is our third dingo enclosure.

10. Chlidonias

it is on the right side of the lake on the map, in the big empty space below the devils.

11. zooboy28

Oh, I hadn't realised there was already a second exhibit! Koala expansions sound good too.

12. MRJ

Sorry not clear. 3rd since we opened. 1 + 2 have both bitten the dust.

13. MRJ

The new koala complex at Moonlit Sanctuary is now open. It consists of a large enclosure for up to 6-8 koalas (and typically will be used to hold females), four smaller enclosures for 1 - 3 koalas and an encounter area with improved queuing and presentation areas. Visitor access is via a raised walkway, including under cover observation areas with glass windows to provide easy viewing for children and those in wheelchairs. The complex occupies the entire area used for koalas previously as well as the old dingo enclosure area. We have managed to include a number of mature eucalyptus in the enclosures which adds considerably to the ambience. Even the smaller enclosures are about 3 times the size of the previous enclosures. While the complex is in use and accessible to patrons, it is not yet complete with decorative panelling and landscaping to be completed.

14. MRJ

Thrilled to announce the first breeding at Moonlit of the Critically. Endangered Regent Honeyeater. Two chicks fledged today.

15. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Well done!!!

:p

Hix

MRJ likes this.
  16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really nice breeding result and another successful holder institution for the regent's recovery in situ. Well done.

MRJ likes this.
  17. MRJ

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. MRJ

One male two females

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

thank you for doing what you are doing. good luck birds. Go forth and multiply.

MRJ likes this.