Join our zoo community

Moscow zoo Moscow zoo

Discussion in 'Russia' started by kiang, 26 Apr 2009.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A female gorilla has arrived at the zoo, from a zoo in the Czech republic, perhaps Pertinax could fill in the blanks ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The new gorilla in Moscow is Shinda, born 9.10.2001 in Arnhem/Holland, moved 11/2008 to Dvur Kralove, sent to Liberec 25.11.2011 because of the reconstruction of the ape house in DK, sent to Moscow 26.7.2012 because the male in DK is infertile (and DK is not in EAZA anymore too).

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At least again some news from Moscow Zoo :
    1 Sichuan takin born
    4.1 Forest Reindeer born

4. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Strangely, this is not highlighted neither in news, nor at zoo's site.
    The takin was born last year.
    Probably animals you're speaking about were born in the zoo's breeding facility?

5. Elephas Maximus

Small the Western long-beaked echidna, the only one in Europe, has died recently, reaching about 18 years.
    Hope he would be preserved, if those vets hadn't cut him to pieces.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2013
  6. Elephas Maximus

A 3rd gorilla is born at the zoo, the mother is Shinda (recently imported female).
    [​IMG]

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking well after the infant?

8. Elephas Maximus

Yes, she's a good mother, and has an example to look at.
    Newborn's gender isn't determined yet. Previous baby is a female, and 2009 one is a male.
    By next year, all 3 babies will be playing together, as youngest ones grow enough :)
    The gorilla indoor exhibit is open for visitors, who are urged to be quiet and turn off camera flashes.
    After the giraffe feeding accident, the zoo hired volunteers to watch after visitors. Expanding security staff or installing many cams would be too expensive. And, if even so, the zoo can't claim fines for just feeding & flash shooting. Such is the Russian law...

9. Elephas Maximus

The baby is a girl))) That means she will permanently live in this group, not being transferred (as may happen with 1st male baby when he reaches puberty)

10. Elephas Maximus

2 Masai giraffes died in October, 1 is left.
    Hope they had a better use than 2 reticulated females in 2004, that were mercilessly incinerated.
    In Soviet times, the giraffes got mounted at least.

11. Kifaru Bwana

@ElephasMaximus, the zoo AFAIK only ever imported 2 giraffe of unknown ancestry (M Samson from Sankt Petersburg in August 1995 and still alive around 2006 - possibly now deceased) and 1 reticulated giraffe (F ca;ptive-born in 2003 and died during December 2004). All other giraffe arrived in the capital Moskwa were of the Transvaal / southern giraffe type.

Truthfully, the longevity and husbandry record with the species has not been good in Moskwa Zoo. I do not know the reasons behind this can / could be. For a fact, quite a few of the new imports died before ever reproducing. Sadly, this usually started with males not making it to adulthood (in the giraffa cohort).

As you speak of several giraffe deaths and different spp/ ssp. as per above, I am interested to know what you may know regarding the ancestry of and the history of these (even names of the animals that died what be nice).

Thanks in advance!

K.B.

P.S. not doubting your expertise and knowledge, ... far from it. I am just presenting what I know / have on giraffes at Moskwa Zoo and perhaps you can clarify / add on to that.

12. Elephas Maximus

Samson is still alive and well, but lonely :(
    2 females were imported for him, with the sponsorship of billionaire Alec N. Wildenstein.
    The origin of both is African Safari Wildlife Park.
    First one, Liouba (named after Alec's second wife from Russia) arrived in July 2002, at the age of 13 months.
    The transfer route was: Port Clinton - Chicago (by truck), Chicago - Shannon - Frankfurt - Moscow (by plane). During the flight, she injured a leg (twisted digits).
    Liouba began to be exhibited since late January 2003. She undergone 2 surgery operations on the leg, but ultimately collapsed and died in mid February 2004.
    Zoo officials proudly told that she was cremated. Damn it, how wise!!! Giraffes grow on trees, indeed - and any museum can pick one if needed.
    The second one, named Twiga (renamed Dosia) arrived 13 october 2004. However, she wasn't administered anthrax vaccine before, and officials decided to do it at the end of quarantine term. The animal died from instantly developed allergy.

I confused the others' subspecies btw, they're actually South african giraffes.
    The recent death of 2 SA giraffes is not reported at the news, I knew about it from zoo's response at guestbook. In return, I asked about animals' bodies fate... bet they won't reply.
    Time to go on safari and bag a giraffe for my university museum, heh.

13. AdvoCat

AdvoCat Well-Known Member

Amur leopard Akra 0,1 from Tallinn has safely arrived to Moscow breeding nursery.

14. Elephas Maximus

Asian elephant female died last Tuesday.
    Poor specimen. I'm 99% sure they destroyed her.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Elephant female Prima.

16. Elephas Maximus

As expected, they cremated her :(

You foreigners have loads of elephants in zoos, they're breeding well and most of them ultimately get dumped after death. From the other hand, your museums have top-class exhibits, and elephants that were preserved look good and lifelike.
    Our zoos and museums are different (let's admit it, worse). And it's even more heartbreaking to see those few elephants remaining in Russia being destroyed.
    Curse those biohazard rules.
    I'll try to save my zoo elephant when the time comes.

17. Elephas Maximus

Dalmatian pelicans & Great white pelicans are raising chicks, one for each species. Hatched in January.
    The first cae of breeding was in 2012, and chick had to be hand-raised.
    [​IMG]

18. PBVV

PBVV New Member

Hello All, I am hoping that someone here can help me in explaining the serious cases of hair loss on these Orangutans at the Moscow Zoo.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  19. Elephas Maximus

20. Elephas Maximus

The main reason of above-mentioned elephant death was incorrect position during anesthesia, and lack of equipment to change the animal's pose quickly...
    May the vets who urged to cremate the elephant get no grave after they die.