Join our zoo community

Most Common Zoo Animals

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MountainBongo, 22 Feb 2012.

1. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

I think that zoos have alot of kudus, capybaras, lemurs, lions, tigers, meerkats, barnyard animals, and many more animals. What are some more?

2. hadrada

hadrada Well-Known Member

Red Panda's it seems nowadays. :rolleyes:

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

See this thread for more discussion of this: http://www.zoochat.com/2/what-most-common-species-represented-zoos-253038/

For Europe (in terms of number of zoos keeping a species, rather than number of individuals):

Having just checked again, Snowy Owl has now overtaken Red-necked Wallaby to move into fifth place in Europe!

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bit surprised at No 9. Common Raccoon. Formerly very common, particularly in smaller collections, but then for many years they seemed to disappear almost entirely, at least in UK zoos, but now seem to have returned again to some extent.

5. Maguari

344 zoos in Europe with Procyon lotor, as per Zootierliste (though a slight pinch of salt - it's got Gentleshaw twice somehow!). Like Fallow Deer and Mouflon (No. 12), it gets a boost from the large numbers of wildparks in central Europe, but the total does include a good number of UK zoos.

I remember 'starting out' as a zoo enthusiast proper in the 90s it was very hard to find one in the UK - eventually tracked one down at Manor House WP.

6. MountainBongo

In America it seems that there are lemurs at every zoo! Same with the UK?

TheAmurTiger likes this.
  7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

@JBZ - I think I've never been to a lemurless collection!

I still have never seen a raccoon ;) the vast majority of places keeping the species are smaller collections which are either not worth my visiting purely for the one species, or too far away to reach without a lot of time and money wasted!

And the one collection listed as keeping them on Zootierliste which I have visited - Bristol - seems to no longer have them onshow ;)

In terms of species I could stand to see a lot less of, my personal top three would be:

Meerkat
    Short-Clawed Otter
    Ring-tailed Lemur

8. Maguari

Though Bristol did release a new postcard with a raccoon on quite recently. Curiously.

Numbers 14, 41 and 20 respectively on the European rankings. :D

(surprisingly low for the otter in particular)

9. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Do Bristol keep a raccoon as a show/educational animal rather than being on display all the time?

10. MountainBongo

US zoos have almost no raccoons! I know that
    San Diego has some, but I don't know about any others!

11. Maguari

I suspect this may be the solution. The source on Zootierliste is the 2008 stocklist, which is a reliable source but not a recent one!

12. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

Do you think the reason could be there they are very common to see in their (semi!) wild state?

13. MountainBongo

Yes! I see raccoons almost everyday on the side on the road (if you know what I mean.)

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Yes, I suspect so - there are a number of species they are listed as having which I never saw, and it's not exactly a big enough place that you would easily miss spotting a load of enclosures.... so more likely to be "Animal encounter" species for children.

15. chantelle

chantelle New Member

hi all my mum and are trying to find any information on the elephant that was at adelaide zoo if you can help please let me know any information would be great thanks

16. grafxman

grafxman Active Member

Here you go Dave:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/80431173@N00/4639282681/"]IMG_9052_39 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/80431173@N00/4639894984/"]IMG_9054_39 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

They're pretty much vermin where I live. About one third of them in Florida test positive for rabies.

17. American_birds

American_birds Active Member

If you go looking, you can find live ones with incredible ease. I usually have some eating underneath my birdfeeders.

18. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I'm surprised grey wolves aren't on the list. Almost every zoo I go to has at least one type of wolf, usually Canis Lupus.

19. MountainBongo

I didn't think about wolves before, but now that I think about almost all zoos have Timber, Grey, Maned, Arctic, or Mexican Wolves.

20. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

Yes I know what you mean, it's the same here except insert foxes and badgers for raccoons.
    Sadly wolves are not so common in UK zoos.