Join our zoo community

Most exotic animals seen on the pet trade

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by animalszoos, 19 Mar 2017.

1. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They also have other seemingly random articles about Polar Bears and Pallas's Cats :p

~Thylo

3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of course they are. They're used to make the Bengal cat breed. There's less now than there were at the height of the F1 generations, but they're still kept by at least dozens of people and there's always a few for sale.

birdsandbats likes this.
  4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Until recently there was a private breeder based in Ukraine who regularly advertised to the US market.

~Thylo

5. Sicarius

Sicarius Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have seen loads of birds for sale in the pet trade. Going from quetzals to toucan barbets, from magnificent riflebirds to cassowaries. Herp-wise I have seen spider-tailed horned vipers, Fiji crested iguanas, marine iguanas, etc. For mammals, the coolest things I have seen for sale were pygmy anteaters. But I have also come across honey badgers, hyenas, tarsiers, giant flying squirrels, etc. All of the mentioned animals above were here in Europe.

Great Argus likes this.
  6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species of quetzal out of curiosity?

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I would imagine Golden-headed; Walsrode breeds the species rather regularly.

Great Argus likes this.
  8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fossas are actually in the pet trade though, unlike Polar Bears and Pallas's Cat.

But yeah, some of those articles on Exotic Animals for Sale are basically just for search engine hits.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  9. Tyrannosaurus-PicoPico

Tyrannosaurus-PicoPico Well-Known Member

A wee bit late to the party, but once I managed to find a listing for a breeding pair of either African or American Honey Badgers. I've seen some weird stuff for pets, but some of of these listings have really got me questioning where in the actual hell people are finding them. I'll absolutely go nuts if I manage to find someone with a pet African Wild Dog, though.

10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No such thing as an ‘American’ Honey Badger. It’s most unlikely these would be house pets. Many people keep exotic animals in suitable enclosures, without actually having a zoo.

TinoPup likes this.
  11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

He mean to be either Honey Badgers (an African species) or American Badgers.

12. birdsandbats

I've seen both American Badgers and Honey Badgers for sale in the US. American Badgers can and occasionally are kept as house pets.

TinoPup likes this.
  13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Breeding pairs, especially, aren't being sold as pets. Honey badger sellers usually require a USDA license for the buyer. American badgers are sometimes pets, though, as @birdsandbats said; they've been kept as pets for a long time, like skunks and raccoons. Teddy Roosevelt's son had one as a child.
    You're not going to find a pet AWD.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Active Member

I Just saw a Warthog. The exotic animal trade is crazy!

15. King of Komodo Dragons

King of Komodo Dragons Well-Known Member

Sulawesi Bear Cuscus are extremely rare in zoos but occasionally I will see them posted for sale

16. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With all due respect, i think this thread would be more beneficial with links provided. That way members can see the sources and know their reliability. Versus just being a bunch of heresay of species that might be being sold be someone who might exist and might not be a scam.

Great Argus likes this.
  17. doggoswoofwoof

doggoswoofwoof Member

I saw someone selling a pair of giant anteaters as well as several people selling critically endangered ruffed lemurs.

18. birdsandbats

Both ruffed lemurs are pretty common in the pet trade. Giant Anteaters are much rarer but I have seen them for sale before.

Neil chace likes this.
  19. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A gentleman I was Facebook friends with managed to acquire a young male warthog, then later a female. He kept a lot of exotics, mostly reptiles and standard unusual farm fare like llamas and ratites.

He loved that warthog and had raised it from a very young age, having even visited it at it's previous residence at a petting zoo. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, until I didn't.

One day he had to make some repairs to the fence in the enclosure he'd built. The male was mature and had paired with the now also mature sow. Every time he bent down to tend to the fence, the male charged and cut his legs out from under him. There was nothing he could do about it but scream once the boar started goring him when he was on his back. He managed to get himself to safety after sustaining life-threatening injuries. The pictures he posted were nothing short of horrifying.

In short, I'm probably going to pass if I even have a chance to buy a warthog.

BenFoxster, TinoPup and Coelacanth18 like this.
  20. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Usually I'm 100% for providing sources, I think it's good practice generally - but this is one instance where I'm not sure regularly providing links is best. Discussing exotic animals seen for sale online is one thing, but if we are constantly providing links to rare animal sales this thread may become a platform for visitors to easily shop for species they likely shouldn't have - something that many/most of us try to discourage elsewhere on the forum. We also can't fully vet whether all of these sales being mentioned are legal...

This potentially gets at bigger implications of how we should be approaching/using this thread (myself included), but keeping it more strictly to discussion is a start. Maybe links are only necessary if there's a consensus that a claim is seriously doubtful - and even then, maybe just the name of the website would suffice?