Join our zoo community

Most pleasantly surprised Zoo that you have visited this year

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by garyjp, 29 Jul 2017.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A bit of fun as it says in the title most pleasantly surprised zoo you have visited this year.Perhaps a smaller collection or one that has undergone considerable improvement.
    You only get one vote .
    For me Monkey Haven Isle of Wight - just a nice little collection in nice surroundings and good enclosures

2. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well Rotterdam seemed pretty shocked to see me!

garyjp, nicholas, Brum and 5 others like this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've only been to fifteen collections this year, so out of those I guess I'll go for Taiping Zoo in Malaysia. I've never managed to get there before, and while I had heard it was amongst the best in Asia I was still very pleased with how good it was.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This should be in general discussions shouldn't it?

For me it would have to be Blackpool, haven't visited for many years, few changes since I last went but still refreshingly easy to view animals there, unlike some other weathier zoos I could mention, and they have good Primates too, not to mention the very visible Spanish wolves!

5. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

I have only visited Blackpool and Chester this year but I am planning to maybe visit some other collections later in the year.I was more surprised at the amount of work that has happened to Blackpool since it was five years since I last visited and I was impressed at what was taking place especially with the new elephant house nearing completion.Plenty of new species in the reptile house such as Cane toads and even for some odd reason mealworms and common house spiders.

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ventura Wildlife was pretty impressive. A small site but a fair few animals including hutia, straw-necked ibis and fossa! ;) The whole place looks very professional, Ashley (the owner) was very friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable and the place has plenty of plans (and space) to expand! :)

pipaluk likes this.
  7. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most pleasantly surprising collections for me this year have been Shepreth and Linton: both fairly reasonably-priced, easily accessible by public transport, not too busy and decent, albeit small, collections.

pipaluk and FunkyGibbon like this.
  8. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cotswold Falconry Centre; some interesting bird presented by knowledgeable and friendly presenters.