Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by littleRedPanda, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

BeakerUK and Jambo like this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Wow, that looks... I want to say awful? This does not excite me at all. It looks like a high school production. Obviously I'll watch it, eventually, not at the cinema, but I can't say I'm expecting much from it.

Brum and Batto like this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Who is the little girl supposed to be?

~Thylo

4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A gender-bent John (Joan) Connor from an alternative feminist universe / future?

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. Batto

Indeed - or rather, just as the Batwoman trailer, it reminds me of one of the better fan-made trailers. Let's be honest - T2 was the peak of the franchise. I doubt that even James Cameron's return as a producer will change that.
    Terminator Thumbs Up GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

6. ThylacineAlive

The term "producer" can mean so little, too. I mean he owns the franchise so he gets a producer credit even if he never even watches the film. With him busy working on his 600 Avatar sequels, I highly doubt he's all too involved in this project.

~Thylo

7. Chlidonias

It's weird how John is nowhere to be seen when he is the focus character of the whole series, isn't it? (Although it's not surprising with the current output of replace-all-men-in-every-remake-because-they-are-evil movies). I'm guessing the girl has to be the new resistance leader: options could be just because this is an alternate timeline; or there could be several resistance factions in the future and she is the leader of one of them; but probably most likely is that John ends up being killed (in the future) and she is the next leader (even though Skynet had already lost in the beginning of the original Terminator and them sending the T-800 back to kill Sarah was their last-ditch effort at winning), so they need to make sure she survives to become that leader.

This film counts as the third movie - nothing else after T2 exists, and that's why Sarah is still alive rather than having died of cancer - so I do wonder how Arnold is there. The good T-800 was melted at the end of T2, so for him to be there he either has to be an entirely different T-800 sent back at some point (and he seems to be another good T-800) or he's the original human model for the T-800 design.

Batto and ThylacineAlive like this.
  8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Of course, they already tried that one.....

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  9. Chlidonias

Ew, I watched that Batwoman trailer yesterday (or rather I watched That Star Wars Girl's reaction to it). It was horrible. All the lines like that the batsuit would be perfection "when it fits a woman", and how she "won't let a man take credit for her work" - you know, after she has just got a man to remake the batsuit for her, and after she has literally just taken all of Batman's stuff and is running with his established mythology.

Just to be clear (because things can easily be read the wrong way on the internet), I don't "hate" women characters. Ripley or Sarah Connor were perfect examples of female action characters where they don't need to constantly harp on about how they are righteous women and men are the enemy. The MCU has a good track record too, until Brie Larson showed up at least. But a lot of the current remakes have just appalling attitudes.

Related both to the above and to Terminator, I also watched yesterday a deleted scene from the Captain Marvel movie where Brie Larson is looking at a map, a biker shows up and starts hitting on her, and then there follows a direct steal from T2 (the "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle" scene), where the supposed-hero Captain Marvel assaults the guy, steals his stuff, then steals clothes from a nearby shop, and then causes a traffic accident while fleeing the scene of the crime. In T2 the scene was setting up the plot twist where it turns out the T-800 is actually the good guy this time around (although of course this had already been ruined in the trailers for the movie, because Hollywood is stupid), but in Captain Marvel she's supposed to be the good guy right from the start.

Mr. Zootycoon and Batto like this.
  10. Chlidonias

It's about the first minute of this video:

11. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've got two Disney remake reviews coming right up!

One movie I've seen several weeks ago:
    Dumbo (2019):
    I am no fan of this remake. The main reason for this is the amount of change there is from the original film to the remake (mostly due to the lack of a major character from the original: Timothy Mouse). I know it's meant to conform with society;s views on animals not being in circuses, but that just resulted in, in my opinion, the movie becoming one of the worst I've ever seen. I wouldn't waste my time watching it again.
    Final Score: 3/10 (where the original would be an 8 or 9).
    (Side note: I've read somewhere that PETA had a part in remaking the film.)

Plus one that I've seen today:
    Aladdin (2019):
    Unlike the remade Dumbo, this remake is actually quite good. The plot seems to closely follow that of the original film, the cast is great (I think Will Smith was a good Genie), and not much was missed. Overall, it's a very good movie, and I'd recommend watching it.
    Final Score: 8/10 (the original would be a 9)

Now I've just gotta wait for the Lion King remake.

Last edited: 25 May 2019
    Brum, Jambo and Hipporex like this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

Roughly the first 12 seconds of that are still in the movie.

~Thylo

13. Batto

The great, vast majority of men (and women, and everything in between) doesn't hate women characters, and I find it sad that one has to state this like a defensive reflex whenever a badly written female character or a product attached to such is rightfully challenged. Both Ghostbusters (2016) or Ocean's Eight, to name two recent examples, are just not great or even good movies, female cast or not. And the Batwoman trailer is just cringe-worthy (i.e. in German: zum Fremdschämen).

Last edited: 26 May 2019
    ThylacineAlive likes this.
  14. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw two movies today: John Wick 3 and Aladdin. For John Wick 3, I really liked it and recommend it if you like the first two. All I'll say is trust no one. As for Aladdin, I mean it was okay but honestly I'd recommend just saving your money. The CGI was wonky at parts and Will Smith wasn't as humorous as I thought he'd be. The one good thing though is hearing the music reminded me of this amazing video:

15. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I delved back into the world of DC yesterday and watched Shazam! which wasn't awful. Unfortunately it wasn't that great either, but it was the best DC film since Wonder Woman and had a far more consistent tone than WW as well. Shazam! isn't aiming to be anything more than a fun superhero romp and it succeeds in most respects, only let down by a heartbreaking scene involving the lead and his birth mother. I enjoyed that part but felt it was quite a jarring shift which should have been left for the sequel.

In summary it's well worth a watch, but don't expect to be blown away. 6/10

Mr. Zootycoon and ThylacineAlive like this.
  16. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That was the greatest song parody I've seen in quite a while!!!

Hipporex likes this.
  17. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Have you skipped Aquaman? I enjoyed it much more than Wonder Woman.

And yes, that does mean I finally watched WW. I liked it, but it was not that great.

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  18. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have skipped Aquaman, it looks fun but I'm just not feeling the love. I will get round to it but probably not for a while.

I'd agree with that. ;)

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  19. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aquaman is probably my favourite DC film. I know there are a lot of flaws to point out, but I figured the humorous, slightly marvel-ish tone did fit very well with the almost inherently silly hero that Aquaman is. Instead of taking itself too serious this movie was funny and way over the top at times without sacrificing all tension, which I think was a good choice. I don't know if it is objectively better than WW, but I certainly enjoyed it a lot more.

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

One of the latest pitch meetings pretty much sums op GoT season 8 very accurately:

Anyone unfamiliar care to guess which line from this was actually spoken by one of the writers/showrunners?

~Thylo