Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by littleRedPanda, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Re-release of an absolute classic. Recommended for anyone who has never seen it, Gary Oldman is legendary! "EVERYONE"

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

New Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer came out! Man is the new version better than the older one.

evilmonkey239 and birdsandbats like this.
  3. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Teaser trailer for new Scooby-Doo animated movie, regarding their origins.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Ah, finally, their origins explained! - They met each other. Oh. Well that wasn't as exciting as expected...

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought the same thing! If they have Scoob just be a stray at the beginning then it's even less clear and more pointless. I can see them having a 2 minute sequence at the beginning where he escapes from a super scaring animal testing lab or something first, though.

~Thylo

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

It's kind of weird how nobody seems to think it odd that Scooby and Scrappy can talk. You can sort of understand it with regards to Scooby because he's more making noises which sound only roughly like words, but Scrappy actually talks coherently.

Everybody is just like "Ghosts! Oh no! Oh wait, it's just a guy in a mask. Everything is completely normal, including those talking dogs which walk on their hind legs..."

7. Brum

So I watched Joker earlier and (spoiler alert) it was a bit sh*t... I genuinely thought it was going to be much better and much more thought provoking, what I got was a decent(ish) knock off of Taxi Driver, King Of Comedy et al... It was decidedly average in my opinion.
    Things I liked were far and few between, and the use of a Gary Glitter song absolutely appalled me for obvious reasons. The whole Thomas Wayne connection seemed unnecessary as well, it seemed like an easy way to shoehorn Batman into it, though I did enjoy seeing a young Bruce using a fire-fighters pole, absolute classic.

I think this film suffered in my eyes due to the hype it has received, I was expecting a masterpiece but I didn't get it. And this is probably one of the longest films I've ever sat through that has a runtime of less than two hours, it just didn't seem to be going anywhere for ages. A disappointing 5/10 from me.

8. ThylacineAlive

I thought Joker was great! 8/10 for me honestly. Some of the music choices were odd and it's definitely a slow burn even when not compared to most comic book movies, but Arthur as a character was great and the story develops really nicely. IMO, the only reason I think people feel the Thomas Wayne connection is there to force Bruce into the story is simply because they're the Wayne family so you might expect them to have to be in the story. There's nothing wrong with their storyline and personally I fell if they had been named something different people wouldn't even be mentioning it. Bruce is only in the movie for maybe a few minutes after all, it's his dad that plays a larger role.

~Thylo

9. Brum

Correct me if I'm wrong but you saw it when it was fresh out at the cinema, right? I genuinely think that my dissatisfaction with it is because I waited so long to see it and the hype train ran me over. I was expecting brilliance. It was like the opposite effect of Venom, where because I was expecting less I enjoyed what I got more.

As I said, I don't hate Joker but I just thought it was decidedly average and I kept drawing (expected) comparisons to better movies.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  10. ThylacineAlive

I saw it last weekend. I can understand that, I felt similarly as I was watching it for the first time but by the end and especially afterwards I've gained more appreciation for it.

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

So what you're saying is you watched a 5/10 movie but then ret-conned it into an 8/10 movie because Batman. That's just sad. Be true to your heart, Thylo, don't push down the hate. Give in to it. Give in to it.

12. Brum

I'm pretty fresh off watching it so I'll see if it improves as I think about it more.

13. ThylacineAlive

My opinion had changed by the end of it, though :p And Bruce is more in the middle.

~Thylo

14. Chlidonias

Hmm, you didn't like it for the first half, Batman appears, you liked it by the end. I see... :p

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  15. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

:D

16. Brum

I hate to be pedantic but it's more like Batboy in this movie. :p

17. ThylacineAlive

It's more like a child who I don't think even speaks once :p

~Thylo

18. Brum

Now you mention it, I think you're right. Alfred gets a few lines in though...

19. ThylacineAlive

Indeed he does, though I don't think he is ever named. I don't know if Bruce is ever named either, except maybe by Alfred in that one scene?

~Thylo

20. Brum

Thinking back, Arthur asks Bruce is name at the gate (just before Alfred interupts) and he says "Bruce". So he does speak, just not much.