Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by littleRedPanda, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Nate Brother

Nate Brother Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here we go again

Jambo likes this.
  2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh no. Why, oh why again!

The trailer seems to make no sense. I’ve heard of rumours that Elsa may be the villian...

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Because Disney wants to break the record for the biggest box office year, duh. They only need to beat out the current first place holder: Disney. Oh and the second place winner: Disney.

~Thylo

Jambo likes this.
  4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have no clue who the German girl is. And frankly, I have no intention to change that.

As for Frozen 2: as a father of a young daughter who loves the franchise, my immediate reaction to the trailer can be summed up as: "Brace yourself; Winter is coming".

Given all those maple leaves, I wonder whether it'll feature Canada, eh? ;)

Last edited: 14 Feb 2019
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Elsa was originally intended to be the antagonist of the first movie. I think if it had a stayed that way, it would have made the movie a whole lot better (I HATE the way the movie ended up).

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Let it go.

7. ThylacineAlive

You stop that.

~Thylo

8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No! ;)

(And I'm only saying that because I was going to type it but you beat me!) :p

9. Nate Brother

Nate Brother Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will when Disney does

evilmonkey239 and Jambo like this.
  10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

[​IMG]

I just can’t let the horror go....

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  11. ThylacineAlive

Frozen is the 13th highest grossing film of all time (5th when it first came out), of course they were going to make a sequel.

~Thylo

12. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, I'd rather have Frozen 2 than any of the remakes Disney has planned. (And even if Frozen 2 doesn't turn out that good, at least it won't be as bad as the direct-to-video sequels).

Nate Brother likes this.
  13. Brum

Have you not seen The Lion King 3 (or 1.5)? A work of minor genius and well worth watching. :)

14. ThylacineAlive

Aladdin 3 as well.

~Thylo

15. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That has some funny moments, but I'll never forgive it for cheapening the opening of the original film, making Pumbaa's farting the reason the animals bowed to Simba.

Jambo likes this.
  16. Brum

The Lego Movie 2

I went to the cinema to watch this yesterday, and I was slightly worried after finding out it was a musical. I hate musicals as a general rule, but this was on a completely different level. It was absolutely brilliant! :)

Where to start? Well first up there's soooooo many pop culture references, meta humour, cameos, and callbacks to certain characters previous cinematic outings, for example Batman prefers his Michael Keaton portrayal over Christian Bale's! :p I left the cinema and still couldn't get my head around just how many jokes they squeezed in, trust me when I say this film is definitely geared towards adults as well as kids.

The plot's pretty straightforward, with one twist that you probably won't see coming. The voice cast is brilliant, stand out performance is probably Will Arnett . Bruce Willis pops up, along with several DCEU actors, and I'm pretty sure Gal Gadot pops up as one version of Wonder Woman even though she wasn't listed on IMDB.

This film is close to perfect so I'm giving it a 10 out of 10, it was that good. Equally as good as the original movie and close to Lego Batman's solo movie in quality.

And to finish off my glowing review here's a song from the film. If you don't find it brilliant then we can no longer be friends.

evilmonkey239 and TheGerenuk like this.
  17. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

I saw How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World last night. These movies have a special place in my heart, they've been a huge part of my life since the first film came out. I grew up with them and always related a lot to Hiccup, who's always been close in age to me in each film. They're truly something special, and bravo to Dreamworks for creating the best film trilogy of the last decade.

The relationships between Hiccup and Toothless, Hiccup and Astrid, and Toothless and the Light Fury were all so charming and believable. The animation is breathtaking, the sequences in the hidden world and between Toothless and the Light Fury are gorgeous to watch. John Powell's score perfectly complements the film and I'd consider it some of his best work. And oh god the ending absolutely ripped my heart out, I can't remember the last time I cried so much during a movie.

There are some flaws, the pacing was eh but that's been a consistent thing throughout the series. Some scenes go on too long, others are far too short. I also thought that the antagonist, Grimmel, could have used more development.

Overall the film was a fitting end to an amazing trilogy, and I'm glad it went out on a high note. It ranks slightly above the first but below the second. I'd give it a 8.5/10 but that may change to a 9/10 after a second viewing, we'll see.

18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I went to see Happy Death Day 2U last weekend and I thoroughly recommend it. I think it is still basically being billed as a horror, which is unfortunate for me because the trailers they played before it were all horror trailers and (as stated earlier) I don't like horror movies. Even the first Happy Death Day wasn't a horror as such, and the sequel is even less-so. It would be better described as sci-fi with a random knife-murderer in it.

Interestingly, the sequel doesn't just remake the original as hollywood is prone to do, but instead takes the actual characters and makes the sequel around them. So even though the genre has sort of changed, it doesn't matter because it is a natural progression from the first movie from the point of view of the characters.

Speaking of characters though, the lead actress (Jessica Rothe) is almost 32 and is playing a new college student. I didn't notice this when watching the first movie on a small screen, but with a cinema-sized screen it is pretty obvious she isn't 18. Not meaning that in a mean way, of course, she looks great - but clearly not the age the character is supposed to be!

I won't go into any details or spoilers, but I do encourage people to go see this movie. (Watch the first one beforehand though - I guess you could watch the sequel as a stand-alone but I think knowing what happened previously would make it a lot more enjoyable and understandable).

19. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Though I am a fan of the franchise I'm slighly more critical. I agree with most of the good points you note, and it was in no way a bad film. It delivered what I (and I think many others) expected, but little more. See spoiler for details. Also Grimmel was in no way the most interesting or dangerous villian in the franchise. Not as strong as Drago, not as (over the top) crazy as Dagur, not as smart and cunning as Viggo, and not as calculating as Krogan. He was the most evil I think, but other than that he didn't really stand out in any way.

What I mean with "It delivered what I expected, but little more" is that any element we want from this film was in there and it was nicely done. A great dragon fight, Hiccup and Astrid getting married, Toothless finally finding a mate, a bittersweet but fitting ending to the franchise and that great farewell scene. But it lacked a surprise element, something truly emotional and unpredictable that would shock both characters and viewers. They showed us they dare to do that in the second film with Stoick's death, and that film was so much better because of it. The final film did not have such a moment, which prevented it from going beyond good into great in my opinion. One could argue the downfall of Berk was such a moment (and it maybe it was meant to be) but it was not delivered very well. For a franchise that likes to stretch certain things out this part felt a bit rushed and could have used a lot more emotion. But aside from that moment, there were (too) few unexpected things.

Overall though, it is a good film that gives a great franchise the ending it deserved. I certainly recommand it. It's currently my least favourite of the trilogy but that may chance if I watch it a second time.

20. ThylacineAlive

New trailer for Hellboy

I think it looks pretty interesting. The original Hellboy movie is on Netflix so I'll have to check it out sometime.

~Thylo