Join our zoo community

Movie Review Rant 2021

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Brum, 16 Jul 2021.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're spot-on, and it's not just the bathroom scene. The whole thing comes across as a rather uninspired rehash of Teen Wolf, with only slight yet all too gaudy alterations to appeal to the current American zeitgeist and most of all, China. Unlike @Sarus Crane , I find little to laugh about in the teaser / trailer, with the protagonist coming across as annoying, shrill, tiresome and not very likeable.

*Sigh* I miss the days when PIXAR was still making original movies with interesting, novel stories and characters...

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Spider-Man - No Way Home

Come on, we all knew I was off to see this film as soon as I got the chance to! ;)

No proper spoiler review (yet) but I will say that if you're a fan of Spider-Man films in general then go watch this as soon as possible, absolutely effing amazing in so many respects. All the cast put on stellar performances, some far better than they did in their previous iterations of the same characters (*cough* Jamie Foxx *cough*), so much (well done) fan service that me and my friend genuinely clapped during the film (along with the rest of the packed cinema!), and soooooo many twists and turns it blows your mind.

10/10 until I rewatch it next week with a more objective view point.

3. Brum

So I rewatched No Way Home last night and I still love it. The film has flaws that are far more noticable on a second viewing but it is still a proper fan favourite movie, but I don't think you could go into this without any prior knowledge of all of the Spider-Man franchises of the past 20 years. Well yoiu could but a lot of the villains back and forth would go completely over your head. Acting highlights are definitely Alfred Molina, Willem Dafoe, and of course Tom Holland. All three bring their A game, and Molina and Dafoe really relish bringing their iconic villains back to life. Still a solid movie, still up there with Endgame as a true event movie and one hell of a cinema-going experience. My final verdict is probably going to be (a slightly lower but still great) 9.5 out of 10 from this Spider-Fan!

Also Hawkeye is amazing, definitely my favourite MCU TV show yet, even better than Loki! :D

TheGerenuk likes this.
  4. Batto

I don't agree with Brum's positive evaluations of recent MCU (and one Sony Films) productions. However, after watching Spider-Man: No way home last night, I do agree with him that this latest Spider-Man movie is indeed a very entertaining film that is worth watching on the big screen.

Brum likes this.
  5. Brum

I can understand disliking Eternals and Black Widow, and even I don't know why I enjoyed Venom so much, but come on, Shang-Chi was pretty damn good, and most of the TV stuff is pretty good as well.

Yeah, I'm finding it really hard to work out whether it is objectively good or whether it is just all nostalgia making me think it's a good film. But 100% worth a trip to the cinema just for the audience reactions at certain parts.

Batto likes this.
  6. Batto

Loki is playing the second fiddle in his own show, being deliberately dumbed down for the sake of "female empowerment". The story and characters of Shang-Chi made even less sense than the usual MCU movie (which do not tend to be intellectual challenges).

The new Spider-Man did what it did very well, which is entertain on a good professional level without preaching or insulting (one's intellect). And that has become quite a rarity in modern cinema...

Brum likes this.
  7. Brum

But Loki is dumbed down from the second the show starts, the TVA agents walk all over him, Mobius shows him up, He Who Shal Not Be Named makes him look like a fool... So Lady Loki is just going along with everyone else! ;) Seriously though, I genuinely see your point on this but I managed to overlook it because I quite enjoyed Tom Hiddleston acting differently compared to what we saw previously.

I thought it was a fun old time and enjoyed it, thought it was slightly different to a lot of other MCU origin stories and enjoyed the hand to hand combat scenes. The big battle at the end threw me for a loop though, I know the film wasn't exactly grounded but I wasn't expecting the big CGI battle of giant creatures in the sky but more of an epic hand to hand to magic mass battle, but Marvel's gotta Marvel I suppose.... And in the movies favour they didn't resort to that old classic Blue Beam In The Sky during the climax! ;)

8. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anyone seen Extinct on Netflix? I thought it was a pretty mediocre animated film. Seeing as the premise is about an animal (albeit a fictional one) that became extinct in the 1800s, I thought it might be a good opportunity to talk about how humans have caused the extinction of many species in recent times. But nope… please scroll over the next paragraph if you want to avoid spoilers.

The species in question, the flummels, are not extinct because of overhunting, habitat destruction, invasive species, or anything like that… instead, it’s all because of one time-traveling dog committing genocide on them out of jealously. Apparently flummels in their wild, unaltered state make perfectly good pets, and they become more popular than dogs. I think this definitely sends a problematic message to people who think that a wild animal like a slow loris or a pygmy marmoset would make a good pet just because it’s cute.

The most positive thing I can say about the movie as an animal nerd is that it has a Macrauchenia and a thylacine in it, which obviously don’t appear in a lot of animated films. Bulldog rats, Aztec cats, Garganoris, stag-moose, sloth lemurs, giant beavers, Russian retrievers, and Japanese sea lions are also referenced in a musical number.

Batto likes this.