Join our zoo community

Mugga Lane Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Danale, 4 Mar 2008.

1. Danale

Danale Well-Known Member

found a flyer for the zoo when it was open, it said they had bushbabies??? can anyone confirm this? what other wow species did they display and where did they all go???

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Maybe they are sing the Name Bush Babies as a collective noun for Possums, Gliders and things like that

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

years ago i downloaded a list of DEH approved species for import (no doubt many of you also downloaded this now defunct list).

i remember sengal galagos, were definitely listed and virtually all other oddities i saw on that particular document, have since been mentioned on this forum as something they remember seeing as one zoo or another way back when.

thus, i would consider it likely that someone did import bushbabies at some stage, and its possible that they may have ended up at that particular zoo.

4. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

before the Pearl Coast Zoo in Broome closed it even had tarsiers. TARSIERS!
    i dont know if any one ever went there, and im sure it would have had pretty crappy enclosures but the range of species was phenomenal

5. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

sounds like it - isn't this where melbourne/werribee got its male congo buffalo from?

what else did they have - tell me glyn, tell me!

6. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can never find any information about it and every website has an identical write up about it.

7. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know alot of the animals at tipperary were purchased from a zoo in broome, so this may be the place, if that's any help Patrick.

8. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

From what I can recall the collection was basically parrots and ungulates. No big cats or anything like that.(I know that they had Gemsbok).

When they folded, the surviving ungulates were bought by Warren Anderson,Tipperary, and the parrots came east to some place aound Coffs Harbour, NSW.

9. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mugga Lane
    Not sure what Mugga Lane had in the past, but I went there in early 2000 (very much closed and run-down) to pick up 2 servals. The only other things I saw/heard about were an old male Barbary sheep and some assorted raptors.

Pearl Coast
    Never went there but heard plenty of good stories. Kept virtually every species of parrot native to Australia (night and ground parrots being exceptions) and an impressive range of macaws. Excellant breeding facilities apparently. Also kept a nice range of ungulates incl. pygmy hippos, grevy's zebras, gemsbok, sitatunga and lechwe(?). They did import cheetahs (3?) but if I remember rightly they were tainted with the 'original' mad-cow scare, and so euthanased. All the hoofstock went to Tipperary station, and some subsequently to Mareeba. Anderson wasn't interested in the parrots, and I thought they had been dispersed around the country to various breeders.

Obscure prosimians
    Adelaide kept Senegal bushbabies and Slender loris (during the late '70s). Perth kept a couple of Greater bush babies (late '80s into early '90s, may of even bred them). Slow loris have turned up ad hoc, probably through confiscations, at Perth and Melbourne (at least). Unfortunately the ARAZPA zoos have never sorted out what species to go for and kept to the plan! A constant source of frustration with them for me.

10. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Would you like the history of this zoo? List of species housed, also list of species that were bred there if you want.

Chlidonias and CGSwans like this.
  11. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Danale hasn't logged into Zoochat in nearly six years, but I would like this info if you have it. :)

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. Terry Thomas

In 1975 a proposal was put to the then Dept,. of the Capital Territory. Three and a half years later approval was given and work began in an empty paddock. . On 19/12/1979 the zoo was officially opened by the. Hon. R.J.Elliott, QC, MP, The then minister for the Capital Territory. Originally known as the Canberra Wildlife Gardens, the name was changed about 3 years later to Mugga Lane Zoo, following a farcical period. The Dept. of Health said that only a registered zoo could have a licence and that as we were not registered we could not have one. Following many months of stupidity, a licence was at last granted. Fierce opposition always came from the Conservation Branch, who advised several departments that no zoo would be allowed to develop in the ACT. Most of the opposition was from the then Director of Conservation, who was responsible for all permission to import and to exhibit wildlife in the ACT. A list of species was submitted and every one refused. The only species to be given permits were all domestic species. An appeal, the first of many over the next ten years, was made. At this time there were heavy restrictions on the species which could be displayed in inland zoos. A typical example was the refusal of a permit to keep a hand reared red kangaroo, on the grounds that "kangaroos should only be seen and appreciated in the wild".
    After pressure was brought to bear on the Director, Brian Pratt, by higher authorities, some permits were granted and the place began to make progress. Landscaping, building and planting all continued. As the ACT was entering what turned out to be a severe three year drought, most of thousands of plants did not survive. Only one household water supply was allowed for the 20 acre block, and no concessions given. A bore was sunk almost 90 metres, but only a small amount of water was available from it. A one and a half million gallon dam was constructed, and became a water feature.
    Originally all pens and yards were constructed using pine logs, and all shelters were covered with pine off-cuts, the aim being to blend everything into a natural background. In later years these logs were replaced by steel frames and the early aviaries enlarged at the same time.
    In about 1987 a building was constructed to house an exhibition of fossils, by Mike Durrant, who later went on to construct another fossil display in the Gold Creek area. By that time there were approx. 120 species on display, including Greater bushbabies, Crab-eating macaques and Bonnet monkeys. The only Pardine genet known to be in the country survived for three years past the longevity record, and continued to survive for another couple of years, after new owners had taken over. Agoutis, skunks, deer, antelope and servals were all displayed, along with a variety of other species, including many native species. A large collection of birds included parrots, pheasants, pigeons and doves, waterfowl, various raptors and many smaller birds. An ecological display was one of the first exhibits. A group of domestic species was popular. Grey kangaroos and wallabies were easily seen in a walk-through enclosure. Many species reproduced and we were proud of our breeding record.

How do I know all this?? Well, I was the one who,with my wife, began this zoo.
    We were responsible for the first ten years of it's growth. We sold the zoo to another person in 1989. He seems to have turned the place over to a son, aged about 17, with very little knowledge of anything to do with animals or zoos. Within a short period of time I began to get reports of how sad the zoo was looking. We had moved from Canberra to the Mid North coast of NSW by this time . Phone calls made, and advise offered were not received too well! Staff called me, but there was nothing I could do to help them, as the new owners would accept no assistance or direction. The rest is a very sad history. I have often wondered what became of all the animals. I believe that 3 wedge-tailed eagles went to a zoo in Port Macquarie, but about the others I have no info.
    Ten years of my life went into that zoo, and now I look back on it as one of my best achievements. To hear about how it was neglected was, and still is, very hard.
    If you want any more info I am happy to oblige.

13. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you Terry Thomas, that was very interesting! I have a personal question to ask you, and it is ok if you don't want to answer but how much did the Zoo cost to build and to run on a weekly basis?

14. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Obviously it's up to Terry whether to answer this question, but I wouldn't read too much into any answer: inflation is such that $100 in 1979 is $465 now.

PS - thanks for the wonderful post, Terry. I hadn't realised Mugga Lane was such a substantial collection. We'd love to see any photos you wanted to upload to the gallery (though I realise they are probably not digitised).

15. Terry Thomas

Over the ten years that we owned the zoo virtually all of the money we had, and received, went into the running and upkeep of the zoo. Luckily my wife had a decent job! As monies came in, mainly from gate takings, we budgeted for the next project and when there was enough, a new exhibit would be constructed. Each exhibit was designed for the animal we could get. Animals were often purchased from Taronga, Adelaide and Perth Zoos. Several exotic species came to us as breeding loans. The cost of constructing Mugga Lane Zoo would have run into hundreds of thousands of dollars, over the time we owned the zoo. I would need to do quite a lot of homework to be able to really answer your question. At one stage we employed thirteen staff.
    The zoo was never really a financial success, although there was only one year, when there was rain almost every weekend, that we did not make enough to continue growing. As we grew the expenses also grew, so financially we sort of stood still. We received a considerable amount of help from several operators of the Fyshwick markets, in the way of fruits, vegetables and meats etc., etc., which they donated each week. Other donations such as mice,rats and guinea pigs came to us from scientific institutions in Canberra. Having spend three years with CSIRO Division of Wildlife Research and then another six years with Conservation, at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, I had many contacts in the ACT. My wife, with a government job, also had many contacts, otherwise we probably would not have been able to grow. The zoo never reached it's full potential, mainly due to the opposition from Conservation Branch, who considered me to be a black sheep, having worked for them for six years, were also committed to stopping anyone from keeping birds etc., in the ACT. After we sold the zoo the ACT became self governing, and many laws and rules were changed, which if we had still been there would have made a huge difference. Every new animal had to have a new permit, both to keep and also to import into the ACT. Designs of the exhibit had to be submitted and approved by our opposition. As there was a huge gap in knowledge and understanding of exotic species by the people who controlled what we could keep, it was always very difficult and almost every new species was an uphill battle to get the permits. An example; when we were offered a Binturong by Taronga. The permit was refused on the grounds that if it escaped it could survive by living in someones roof. Then there were the regular inspections, by people who had never even heard, let alone seen many of the species. These people decided whether the animals were properly cared for etc.. When they saw anything they did not like then a negative report was made. No mention of anything good was noted. An example was one time when a very early morning inspection was made. Although the person making the inspection passed, and observed the keepers at work, cleaning etc., The report that was written stated that many of the pens were dirty, with foodstuffs, droppings etc., on the floors. No mention of the fact that the keepers had not got as far as those pens. Then there was the government vet who was sent to check the health of the bushbabies, who requested that he inspect the female pouch. On being informed that primates did not have pouches he showed surprise, as he had thought they were a species of possum!! At least we had a laugh now and then. I have many photos of the zoo and will try to make them available to you. Good to know that there is still some interest in my effort.

Jake, zooboy28, CGSwans and 1 other person like this.
  16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Pardine Genet is an exciting surprise to have been there!

It might be a bit much to ask, but any chance of a species list for the zoo? Everyone on Zoochat likes lists of animals, especially historic ones.

17. Terry Thomas

Stretching the memory a bit, but here is list from memory and some old records.......

MAMMALS: Red, E.Grey, W.Grey roos, Wallaroos, Swamp, R.necked Wallabies, R.n.Pademelons. Common wombat, Northern and Southern dingoes, R. foxes, Fallow deer, Blackbucks, Thick-tailed bushbabies, Pardine genet, Striped skunk, G.R. agoutis, Bonnet and Crab-eating macaques, Barbary sheep, Servals (my last exhibit), Various domestic mammals, including Feral cat.

PARROTS: Cockatiels, Superb, Bourke's, Princess, King, Red-rumped, Crimson-winged, Rose-ringed, Mallee ringneck, Cloncurry ringneck parrots. Sulphur-crested, Major Mitchells, Gang-gang cockatoos, Galahs, S.billed and L.billed corellas. Eastern, Crimson, Western, Pale-headed rosellas, Rainbow, S.breasted, Musk lorikeets. Masked, P.faced, Fischer's lovebirds, Y.f kakarikis.

PIGEONS+DOVES : Green-winged, Bar-shouldered, C.b-winged, Common b-winged, Spinifex, domestic pigeons, W-breasted ground doves. Barbary, Bar-shouldered, Green-winged, Namaqua, Diamond, Peaceful, Senegal, Spotted turtle doves.

PHEASANTS etc.: Ring-necked, Golden, Amherst, Nepal, Southern green, Reeves, Silver, Swinhoes, Edward's X pheasants, Chukor partridges. Brown, Stubble, King, Bob-White, Californian-crested quails. Blue, White peafowl.

FINCHES: Zebra, Gold, Long-tailed, Red-browed, Double-bars, Cuban, Plum-headed, Star finches. Diamond firetails, Bengalese, Java sparrows. Black-headed, Nutmeg, Chestnut-breasted mannikins. Canaries.

WATERFOWL: Black, Wood, Domestic ducks + geese, Grey teal, Cape Barren, Egyptian geese.

VARIOUS SPECIES: Indian mynas, Red-whiskered bulbuls, Common starlings, White ibis, Cattle egrets, Guinea-fowl, Emus, Ostriches, L. kookaburras, B.b magpies, Aust. kestrels, Wedge-tailed eagles, Boobook owls, Tawny frogmouths. Various domestic birds.

There were other species, but I can't remember them!

Permits were easier to obtain for birds, and many mammals were either too expensive for us to buy, or too expensive to house and feed at that time.

18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I notice 'Edwards's x' Pheasants on this list. Maybe hybridised with Swinhoe's in an attempt to keep the species going? I imagine they are now gone from Australia?

19. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just to add a little more info, the last serval (male) was transferred to Nat Zoo. The only other animal that I'm aware of was a male Barbary Sheep. This was well after Mugga Lane had closed.

20. Terry Thomas

The Edward's cross were thought to some of the last in the country. Not certain what they were crossed with but you are probably correct. In appearance they were Edward's. These were actually loaned to the zoo, by a pheasant breeding friend, in Canberra. I only managed to get a small number of eggs from them, and none were fertile.

I note the photo of crested macaques. Five years ago I backpacked through northern Sulawesi, and was able to get close to a group of them, as they came down from their tree roosts, early one morning, after a walk through the forest, starting when it was still dark. Bit of an experience.