Join our zoo community

Musical Instruments

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by natel12, 3 Jun 2018.

1. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t believe there has been a thread like this, so I decided to make one. Does anyone happen to play a musical instrument? If so, what? I happen to be a pretty good saxophonist.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I play keyboards (piano and synth).

Did a year of flute in high school followed by a year of trombone - but it would take me a while to re-learn the fingering / slide positions for those since it was so long ago.

I'm pretty good at drum machine programming too - having done a lot of that back in the early 90s. Have a couple of what would be called "vintage" synths - although my favourite is in desperate need of a strip-down/clean/rebuild to fix some well known issues with the keyboard.

My son is learning piano and saxophone and did a year of clarinet previously, daughter has just started learning piano a few weeks ago - so I'm starting to get back into playing and producing music a bit more and recently bought an entry-level synth for the kids to muck around on and learn how to construct sounds - I'm enjoying it too!

natel12 likes this.
  3. natel12

Trombone is quite a difficult instrument, and both instruments are difficult to learn while in high school. That is great that you play the piano. I played for about five years and still can I just cannot play bass and treble at the same time. I’m glad that you have influenced your kids to play instruments, my parents did not. Best of luck to your son on the sax, he will go quite far if he takes private lessons with an expert. Starting your daughter with the piano at a young age really helps them with learning new instruments in the future, as they already know how to read sheet music.

4. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Like you I’m a saxophonist (5 years of playing) and I recently took up a new instrument, the bassoon. In a few weeks, it would have been a year of me playing bassoon.

natel12 likes this.
  5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Epic sax guy: Saxophone is the best instrument.
    Big marvel:Hold my beer

natel12 likes this.
  6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can sort of play the Ukulele.

natel12 likes this.
  7. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Clarinet, recorders, piano a little, teaching myself guitar (going badly) and ukelele (the easiest instrument on the planet). Can turn my hand to most woodwind instruments. Played violin badly for a while whilst a teenager. Teach ocarina in school.

natel12 likes this.
  8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can you play any of the songs from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

9. BeakerUK

Nope, fraid not. It is a brilliant instrument to teach to children, though - I used to teach recorder, but the ocarina is so much easier for them.

10. natel12

You can go quite far with a bassoon. Best of luck with that

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  11. natel12

I honestly didn’t think the ukelele was easy (never played it) the clarinet is great. Each instrument has such a large range however I only know how to play the basic C D E F and G on it

12. BeakerUK

The ukelele can get much more complex, but at a basic level - you can't get much easier than making a chord with one finger, hehe.