Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Must see exhibits

Discussion in 'United States' started by The_UltimateBea, 29 Aug 2019.

1. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

I am going to the zoo on Friday but may not have enough time to see everything. What are the must sees?

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Congo Gorilla Forest is absolutely essential, make sure you see that as soon as you get to the zoo.

The other “must sees” are JungleWorld, Wild Asia Monorail and Madagascar. If you’ve seen those exhibits and still have extra time, go and see the World Of Birds and the Mouse House, as these exhibits have some interesting species and exhibits.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow you live in a good place zoo-wise :)

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh boy... Purely from an exhibit standpoint (ignoring species) I'd stick to the following:

Absolute Must See
    Congo Gorilla Forest
    Madagascar!
    JungleWorld

Highly Suggested
    Baboon Reserve
    Wild Asia Monorail
    World of Birds

Time Allowing
    African Plains
    Aquatic Bird House/SeaBird Aviary
    Zoo Center
    World of Reptiles
    Children's Zoo

Skippable
    Astor Court
    Bears
    Butterfly Garden

Don't Bother
    Carter Giraffe Building
    Birds of Prey

~Thylo

Pleistohorse and Brum like this.
  5. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wild Asia certainly

6. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Piggy-backing off everyone else; don't miss Tiger Mountain or the Himalayan Highlands which are both excellent from an exhibitory standpoint. I fully agree: Congo Forest, Jungle World, Wild Asia and Madagascar are can't misses. As well as Tiger Mountain and the Himalayan Highlands I would also fit in the African Plains/Baboon Reserve, World of Birds and World of Reptiles. That should fill about 5 hours (less if you are a fast walker!). If you can, eat at the Baboon Reserve (African Café) since they have better food then at the main cafeteria with a great view. I have been able to do the entire zoo in less than 6 hours, but that means getting there to walk through the gates at 10am.

It's going to be warm tomorrow, so hope you get an early start and enjoy!

Pleistohorse and ThylacineAlive like this.
  7. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

I think you forgot the ever impressive Dinosaur safari...worth the wait and space that could be utilized for living animals!

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I also forgot Tiger Mountain and Himalayan Highlands!! :eek::oops: I also forgot Northern Ponds as well. I'd split those between Highly Suggested and Time Allowing. Dinosaur Safari I've decided is a necessary evil. It's undoubtedly brought in a lot of money for the zoo that's led to them bringing in new species and updated older exhibits. It's not like any animals were going to go there anytime soon anyway. I'm pretty sure their planned future Latin America exhibit is slated for this area, though, so presumably the safari will either move or go altogether.

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I disagree with everyone else, I think some of those depend on what other zoos you've been to. #1 must see for me is world of birds, it's the one thing that I don't think is matched anywhere else. I'd also say Madagascar, the nearby children's zoo, and the monorail, since the latter two are closed half the year and both have uncommon species. If you're going to try for the monorail, start there, because the line quickly builds up during the day.