Join our zoo community

Musth

Discussion in 'India' started by dragon(ele)nerd, 5 May 2009.

1. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I already make a thread about Musth on starelephants to see what captive elephants in India are like in Musth. Most are in around 2.5 to 4 months but of course with the exception of one elephant in it for over 7.5 months.

They are basically tied anda continously squirted with a hose to regulate body temperature. It is best for an elephant to have it in the rainy season for it is good for the owners cause this will make the elephant be able to participate in procession regularly. And also cools the elephants body regularly.

Apparently in northern india elephants are let free to forest during musth period and mahout keeps a watch on them as to which area they are going etc. When musth is over mahout approaches the elephant and is taken back to home without the "ketti azhikkal" or any punishment methods. I doubt whether any elephant owner would take that in kerala as it according to my friends there elephants must be controlled with fear.

What is Musth control like in zoos. I have never seen Bong Su the local bull at Melbourne in Musth. Do they put the bull in a seperate holding yard and let him just be himself?