Join our zoo community

MY ALL in One question topics

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by zoomania18, 17 Feb 2011.

1. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Of course not every one likes that.
    On Page 188 of "Zoo The Modern Ark" Maier/Page (Keyporterbooks 1990) under a historical photograph of the crocodile pool in the reptile house of the Bronx zoo 1901 which was planted as a lush jungle it states, and I quote

"This charming space has something of the ambiance of the Solarium in a rich mans mansion. such a design has the effect of domesticating and in effect belittling the wild." un quote

I think it looked great personally and a little ahead of it's time.

2. zoomania18

zoomania18 Well-Known Member

Personally I do not have the opportunity to visit any other zoo . The only zoo that I have visited in my whole life is Singapore zoo , night safari and Jurong bird park. I would Really need some zoochat experience member to help me on this.. Is there any exhibits/enclosure that the predator and prey is staying near each other using only ditches , dry / wet moats and hot wire to separate them. The one I know is Colombus zoo [hearts of Africa]

3. zoomania18

I mean in 1 look you will think they are actually staying in the same enclosure , but they they are divided by ditches or moats

4. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In ZOOM Gelsenkirchen, you can see the savanna
    with hoofstock like zebras and antilopes in the distance
    when you are standing in front of the lion enclosure,
    so you can see both predator and prey at the same time.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

6. zoomania18

Thanks guys for your effort in telling me this . Really appreciate much
    If can , can recommend me somemore

7. zoomania18

How do you think of "Singapore Zoo"

Hey everyone here ,

Anyone who been to Singapore zoo , what is your personal views of it . what is your opinion on Singapore zoo . please share your comment on how you felt about the zoo . for me , I think is quite a beautiful zoo that you feel like you are in the jungle/forest with them . there is almost no cage less exhibit found in the zoo .

every enclosure is 'open concept' which there is no problem /hinder in taking the animal photo . but I think mostly some of the exhibit are small or normal size . and most animal exhibit will have tropical rainforest foliage/fauna even that those animal does not belong to the tropical rainforest area.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Dec 2015
  8. temp

temp Well-Known Member

I do realize that you really like your home zoo Singapore (and it is a nice zoo), but please do consider using the Singapore section for your Singapore Zoo posts. It's under Asia on the ZooChat Discussion front page; here's the direct link:

http://www.zoochat.com/forums/country/singapore/

It also makes it easier for people looking for posts specific to one zoo.
    The general forum section is mainly for general discussion not specific to one zoo.

9. zoomania18

Which zoo in Uk /US/ is comparable to Singapore zoo

Is there any zoo that are similar to Singapore . In term of the exhibits design and the environment. IS Singapore zoo really the best zoo in the world?from what I lookup in the Google. And it is the Singapore zoo that are the first top ten zoo in the world. In term of the landscape design , which other zoo that can match with Singapore zoo?

10. zoomania18

Can someone tell me which zoo should I go if I am going to US or UK . In term of similar exhibit displayed?

11. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Defining "the" best zoo(s) is a matter of constant dispute among zoofans as it's commonly an aspect of individual taste, influenced by personal experience and expertise as well as the individual cultural, social and academic background. It depends on many aspects, may it be the quality of husbandry, zoo design, architecture and history, diversity and quantity of kept species, visitor amenitities, staff satisfaction, profitableness, research and conservation impact, location of the zoo and so on and on, all which are valued differently. Some ZooChatters love old-fashioned zoos with a focus on species diversity and zoo history, while others prefer zoos offering modern entertainment options and animal theme parks. Therefore, Anthony D. Sheridan's or others' rankings of zoos are often highly debated among zoos and zoo fans. Reviews on Tripadvisor and other travel websites offer a more generalized rating of the individual zoo, often influenced by the (very) personal expertise (or lack thereof) of the reviewer.

As you can see, it's not easy to answer your questions. As a zoo in the Tropics, Singapore Zoo has different preconditions to maintain and represent species than zoos located in different climate zones. This greatly influences husbandry, landscape design etc. No zoo is the same, even though general issues and problems are shared among zoos all over the world (like escaped animals, underpaid staff or unruly visitors).

As for which zoo to visit in the UK or US, expect several replies, with some (Chester, Durrell Wildlife Park, Bronx Zoo, San Diego Zoo etc.) more likely to be mentioned and recommended than others for the reasons mentioned above.

12. zoomania18

nocturnal (night)zoo who like this ideas

I personally like the nocturnal zoo where most predator is at their most active hours for big cats , big dog and etc.. I noticed that every time I view the lion in zoo , mostly they are not being active or they are just sleeping in their enclosure. If I am not wrong , they spend 10-15 hours sleeping? Anyone same as me ,like viewing the zoo in nighttime

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes I love the idea. In the southwest USA where I live, several zoos have started having night openings in summer (usually on a weekend). It is hot in the desert southwest in summer, so night makes a better time to visit, since day is often over 100 Farenheit.

Singapore works well because it is warm year round. However, lots of zoos have winter night openings right now for Christmas light displays and they are very popular, so it seems people are willing to venture out in the cold. I would personally love to see more zoos open at night.

14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Right now in the Northern Hemisphere evening comes at or even before closing hours of many zoos. I have many memories of seeing carnivores, other small mammals, owls etc. active, playing, interacting and displaying at dusk in winter zoos. Definitely longer opening hours of zoos are the good thing.

The only problem of the idea of zoo open at night is employing extra staff, and making sure that zoo does not become a place for night binges. Maybe allow longer entry only for people holding the year card, to discourage non-interested visitors? I am sure there is practical way around this problem.

15. zoomania18

(2015) latest top ten tiger exhibits of the world

As above, which zoo have the best tiger exhibit in your opinion. In term of exhibits size and etc. For me, I think jacksonville zoo and Singapore zoo, Singapore night safari tiger exhibit.

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Sumatran tiger enclosure in the Islands section at Chester is the newest in the UK and perhaps the best: the other one I really like is the Siberian tiger exhibit at the Highland Wildlife Park.

Alan

17. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd have to say Highland Wildlife Park as well. Very large natural enclosure full of trees. Singapore tiny in comparison.

18. zoomania18

I agree that Singapore tiger exhibit is bit on the normal size exhibit. But the use of tropical rainforest tree and plants make me feel that this is normally how they live in the tropical rainforest (jungle) settings( I mean it just looks they are in their nature habitats??)

19. zoomania18

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2015
  20. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

QUIZ: Which Asian zoo first punished an employee who was giving useful information on the internet, and then started the most annoying hidden advertisement campaign?