Join our zoo community

Mystic Aquarium Mystic Aquarium News

Discussion in 'United States' started by gerenuk, 20 Oct 2010.

1. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

NOAA regulates belugas accordingly and has determined there are five stocks of beluga whales all in Alaskan waters—the Beaufort Sea, Bristol Bay, Cook Inlet (endangered population which has declined by 80%), eastern Bering Sea, and eastern Chukchi Sea stocks. NOAA has determined that these groups are a distinct population segment.

"Under the Endangered Species Act, a distinct population segment—or DPS—is a vertebrate population or group of populations that is discrete from other populations of the species and significant in relation to the entire species." Glossary: Endangered Species Act

"The population of Sakhalin Bay-Nikolaya Bay-Amur River beluga whales, a stock in the eastern North Pacific off the coast of Russia, is estimated to be around 3,961 whales. In response to a petition, NOAA Fisheries conducted a status review of the stock and designated it as depleted under the MMPA in 2016." Beluga Whale That petition was the botched Georgia Aquarium beluga import permit.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Once more: Any scientific papers on beluga genetics? I would appreciate if someone could corroborate what has been said on definite distinct populations (just saying so, does not make it so and if it is the case elaborate and enlighten us) with scientific evidence to that effect, both in population biology and genetics? Thank you very much!

3. NAIB Volunteer

Goodness. NOAA is a scientific agency so them just "saying so" obviously doesn't cut it for them. They rely on evidence with their own scientists and experts in the field. I'm sure you can manage some research on your own, considering I found this study in a couple minutes.

Migratory culture, population structure and stock identity in North Pacific beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From reading the documents it seems clear that breeding would not be allowed for 5 years, the length of the permit. Whales may be transferred to Georgia Aquarium during this time, yet no other institution is involved. At the end of the permit disposition of the whales will be done in consultation with NOAA. It seems breeding is not disallowed after this time, although it may be added as a condition if the permit is not renewed.

Lizardman64 likes this.
  5. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I do hope your interpretation is correct! It would be a welcome genetic diversity, I do worry about long term effects of any contraception efforts. We have seen how that has not served the US polar bear population well in the long term!

Lizardman64 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thank you very much and appreciated. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Personal note: a (very) few of the sample sizes are below the minimum (20+ sample sizes for a given population) to allow any conclusions to be drawn from. The majority however do indicate population structuring to the point that within the BCB several disjunct groups exist.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know what species of Poison Dart Frogs are found in the Frogs exhibit? There were at least four or five unsigned species when I went this morning. Thanks!

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ameerega trivittata and Dendrobates tinctorius "azureus" I think are the only species I remember for sure are there.

~Thylo

Neil chace likes this.
  9. NAIB Volunteer

10. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  11. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The aquarium now has two baby harbor seals on display :) Their first day out was last tuesday (March 23). They were born last May.

12. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

SaritaWolf and ThylacineAlive like this.
  13. ThylacineAlive

Wow, they actually did it. Now question, when the permit expires in 2025, will the whales have to be deported back to Marineland or is the aquarium free to breed these animals afterwards?

Any word on Georgia receiving animals still?

~Thylo

14. NAIB Volunteer

They'll have to apply for a continuance in the permit which would in all likely be granted unless a condition of the permit was violated. I believe the permit also dictated that notice and approval would need to be provided to NOAA for any transfer to Georgia. There are numerous conditions for these five belugas which I could assume during a permit renewal they could add some changes such as breeding and transfer to other AZA facilities

15. NAIB Volunteer

Also, I believe that only Mystic and Georgia can hold these five - not Shedd or any of the Sea World parks during the next five years as only Georgia was listed as a potential secondary holder if need be

16. ThylacineAlive

Thanks for the information! I do hope these animals can join the breeding population in due time. I wonder if contraceptives will be used in order to allow them to mix with the existing whales without breeding, but the pod size could still stimulate breeding among the existing animals.

~Thylo

17. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really hope they do not use contraceptives. There plan they submitted to NOAA was to separate the Marineland females from any males during breeding season, no mention of contraception. Contraception is dangerous here I think, in my opinion, it is the use of contraception in polar bears that caused the population to be what it is now. Even after withdrawing contraception in the polar bears, the previous proven breeding females did not have success in future breeding. We can't risk that and have a sustainable beluga population in the US!

18. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Contraception in cetaceans is quite a bit different than in polar bears. The most commonly used method is orally dosed regumate to the females, or a lupron injection to the males. Especially with regumate, is is very commonly used, easily reversible, and generally doesn't seem to cause any long term reproductive issues, even if its used for a number of years. Couple that with the fact belugas only cycle for a fairly short period of time every year, and mystic is well equipped to regulate breeding through pool design and social structure (they can easily split into two groups, the two males with their two older non-breeding cows, and the ML females together), I think their future breeding potential will remain intact.

19. NAIB Volunteer

20. ThylacineAlive

"Mystic officials said the five whales left an overcrowded habitat with about 50 other Belugas in Canada..."

50!?

~Thylo

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.