Join our zoo community

Nairobi National Park

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Lemurs, 11 Dec 2014.

1. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

Has anyone been to the above? I've booked to go to Madagascar in June and have paid a little extra to give myself about 30 hours in Nairobi.

If so, can anyone recommend a hotel for a solo traveller in a safe area, and a tour company? It'll be the rainy season, will that make viewing particularly difficult..? I'll be in the city from late afternoon on a Friday then my flight back to the UK is late Saturday night.

Cheers :)

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I have been to Nairobi National Park and although I'm not going to be able to recommend any hotels I would recommend visiting the nearby elephant orphanage if you have a bit of time:).

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was in Nairobi National Park in July 2001. It wasn't raining, even though it was the wet season. Your concern about safety is definitely well taken and a good travel agency would hopefully be able to give you some current recommendations of good hotels in safe areas.

I was in Nairobi for the day like yourself and arranged a Nairobi National Park tour through the hotel I was staying at, so it is pretty easy to do. When I was there I saw Masai giraffes, zebras, Nile crocodile, buffalo, and a tree full of pink-backed pelicans (the most impressive sight of my game drive). I know people who have seen lions, cheetahs, and black rhinos there too, so as with all game drives, it's a new adventure every time.