Join our zoo community

Name a zoo which no other zoochatter visited!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jurek7, 21 May 2022.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are lots of wildlife parks in Europe, and interesting zoos in Asia, Africa and South America, which are completely not mentioned on this forum. Some have interesting species or exhibits. So a challenge: did anybody visit a zoo which no other zoochatter visited? Can you describe what animals are there?

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's tons in the USA, too. I'll be stopping at a few in the next week, even. I post photos of every place I visit, so other zoochatters can see what they look like.

birdsandbats likes this.
  3. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

I don't believe anyone else on Zoochat has visited Reefworld at Hervey Bay. I visited when I was rather young, so I don't have any photos and my memory of it is patchy. I recall that it is a fairly small place, 2 indoor rooms and an outdoor pool. I recall seeing Plectropomus sp., Reef Stonefish, Epaulette Sharks, a Panther Grouper, a reef shark species and a Copperband Butterflyfish in the indoor tanks (although there was most certainly more than this!). Most tanks were absolutely encrusted with Aiptasia anemones. Indoor section had lots of mounted specimens, like spider crabs and shark jaws. The outside has a deep pool, which contained Blacktip Reef Sharks and Green Sea Turtles.

I would not call it a fantastic aquarium - it's rather small, and the exhibits are not particularly great - some cool species though! For what it is, it's decent. Good way to kill some time.

Swanson02 likes this.
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I've visited plenty of American and Canadian zoos that no other ZooChatter has ever been to. Plus, when I went on my big 95-zoo, 33-day European trip in 2019, I visited approximately a dozen zoos (mainly in Germany) that no ZooChatter had ever been to before. I remember having to ask a moderator to add a lot of zoos to the ZooChat gallery as there weren't any photos from previous visitors.

There must be a high number of zoo nerds who have been to zoos in Africa and South America that very few others have been to.

5. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Leaf Productions went to Iguanaland which as far as I know no other user has visted yet.

I have been to the Ataturk Forest Farm Zoo as well as the Eskişehir Municipality Zoo, and the Gaziantep Municipality zoo in Turkey. I am confdent about AFF but the latter two may or may not have been visited by users who visited or live in Turkey but who are not active as much on ZC as I am.

Leaf Productions likes this.
  6. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Here are my offerings, in case any of them haven’t been described yet:

Meserani Snake Park (Arusha, Tanzania)
    Quito Zoo (Quito, Ecuador)
    Quito Vivarium (Quito, Ecuador)
    Yanacocha Rescue Center (Ecuador)

UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  7. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Heh, I remember when I uploaded pictures of Hald Ege Miniregnskov and was convinced I was the only Zoochatter to visit that place: Hald Ege Miniregnskov - ZooChat. Well, I might still be the only one; it's a very small place that doesn't advertise itself much and doesn't have much to attract zoo nerds, but I've visited it several times because I grew up a few kilometers from it (where my parents still live).

I'd also hazard a guess that I might be the only one to have visited Dyreparken NBV (Dyreparken NBV - ZooChat) and Otterup Andedam (Otterup Andedam - ZooChat) which are also extremely small and obscure places. I found out about Dyreparken NBV because my grandmom lives very close to it, and I only discovered Otterup's existence by pure accident after some random googling about waterfowl.

Maybe also some of the small farm zoos (Farm Fun, Fun Park etc.) and the deer parks outside of the larger cities (Løvbakke, Vejle, Randers etc.).

I don't think there's anything outside of Denmark that I'm the only Zoochatter to have visited - the most rarely-visited places would probably be Filmtierpark in Germany and Tange Dyrepark in Norway.

8. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Cardiff Zoo, Barry?
    Peakirk?

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'd counsel caution on assuming that "no photos in gallery" equals "no Zoochatter has ever visited" :p as I know of plenty of well-travelled European and British zoochatters who have been to a lot of obscure places, but whose photos from said places were film! The Great Purge will have had an impact too, given it was the obscure and seldom-viewed images we lost on that occasion. Out of curiosity, which specific places are you thinking about in Germany?

On a different note, I think there *is* a chance I am the only one to have visited Wildgehege Klovensteen, as barring a comment by Sooty Mangabey in reply to myself, I am literally the only Zoochatter to have mentioned the place, and I don't think any of the Zoochatters I alluded to above have been.

TinoPup and TNT like this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

I think there's a few older members past and present who visited Peakirk, but you may be right about Cardiff Zoo (though some have visited the collection in its later incarnation as Welsh Hawking Centre).

11. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

Possibly the Lake District Coast Aquarium. While I don't know for absolutely certain whether or not other Zoochatters have been there, it looks as if I'm the only person who's ever uploaded photos from there to this site. Granted this aquarium is no Blue Planet, Sea Life or The Deep, it's a small place with not much to attract Zoonerds, but it's the closest animal collection to where I live and I've been visiting semi-regularly for years.

12. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Polar Park, Tromsø Mini zoo in Northern Norway.
    Polaria at Tromsø is also an option, but less likely.

Lovech zoo, Dobrich zoo (old and new), old Plovdiv zoo, Stara Zagora zoo, Pavlikeni zoo and Blagoevgrad zoo in Bulgaria. Both Plovdiv and Stara Zagora are expected to open after renovation.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  13. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The panda house in Macau. If doubt anyone have been there consider the only photo in Macau is from funkygibbon and he haven't been

Nicholas_ likes this.
  14. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Would be surprised if any other zoochatter has visited Lory Park Zoo in Midrand, South Africa.
    Lovely little place with some rare species like black-footed cats and Knysna Turaco.

15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone else been to the Verulamium Zoo at St Albans?

16. TeaLovingDave

I believe devilfish has!

On a sidenote, do you have photos of the turaco?

TNT likes this.
  17. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Parque Zoológico da Povoação would be my best shot. Possibly Europe's most remote zoo as it's situated in the Azores

Shirokuma likes this.
  18. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Back in July 2019, I had to request for a ZooChat gallery to be made for these 15 German zoos:

Affen + Vogelpark Eckenhagen
    Drachenwelt Reptile Zoo
    Dunnwald Wildlife Park
    Gronau Zoo
    Tierpark Alsdorf
    Wildfreigehege Nottler Berg
    Wildpark Gangelt
    Wildpark Reuschenberg
    Tiergehege Kaisergarten
    TerraZoo
    Tiergarten Monchengladbach
    Tierpark Petermoor
    Tierpark Strohen
    Olderdissen Zoo

Gronau Zoo

Mr. Zootycoon and TeaLovingDave like this.
  19. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

I believe I have a couple.

. Umengi River Bird Park (Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa)
    . Richardson Nature Center (Bloomington, Minnesota, United States)
    . Wood Lake Nature Center (Richfield, Minnesota, United States)
    . Westwood Hills Nature Center (Saint Louis Park, Minnesota, United States)
    . Safari North Wildlife Park (?)(Crow Wing County, Minnesota, United States)
    . Bailey-Mathews National She’ll Museum (Sanibel Island, Florida, United States)
    . C.R.O.W (Sanibel Island, Florida, United States

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  20. TeaLovingDave

Well, quite apart from any of the other ones, you're *definitely* not the only one to have visited this one ;) given the fact I'm the one who recommended you visit TerraZoo Rheinburg!

TinoPup and snowleopard like this.