Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Names of lions at Longleat

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hunting dogs, 15 Feb 2014.

1. Hunting dogs

Hunting dogs Well-Known Member

What are the names, sexes and ages of the lions currently at Longleat Safari Park, Wiltshire, UK?, plus their relationships to one another?

2. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

nibalo the male in bride b and Hugo is the male in pride a. pride b has also got a castrated male but not sure of his name.

3. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is there still a Pride A ? Henry died as did Louisa and their 4 cubs and Hugo was moved to Folly Farm along with Lunar and 4 cubs. What happened to Kimya, Nikita and cubs ? Are they still there ?

4. Embu

Rather than clog up the Longleat thread, does anyone have any updates on the lion prides?

As stated on Animal Park lionesses Kimya & Nikita moved to Dartmoor zoo in 2019 and Nikita's son Harry was introduced to a sub pride of 8 females formed from the original pride B.
    No cubs have been born that I'm aware of but is the plan to keep a non breeding pride or is it hoped Harry will mate? It's just the 3 "top girls" Mailika, Sweet Pea & Pepper are 17yrs and 16yrs respectictivly and only Mailika has produced cubs to date.
    There are 4 younger females presumably Mailika's daughters but they are at least 8 years old now(not old by any means I know) but just wondered if anyone knows any updates?

5. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Has Jasira the younger Sister of Malika passed away? I rember an episode of Animal Park where Jasira was born quickly after Malika. The keepers were unsure if Malika could survive on her own while Yendi nursed Jasira.

I have an update on Nikita and Kimya. These 2 Lionesses were transferred to Dartmoor Zoo in Devon.Nakita was supposedly euthanized due to renal problems. I am Friends with Benjamín Mee and he said that the lions were fighting. Jasiri was the instigator. Due to this I think Nikita may have been Euthanized. I was told if a home could not be found Euthansia would be the only option. Kimya now resides with Jasiri Dartmoor's male.

6. Embu

Malika and Jassera had different mothers and both mothers were successful and went on to have at least 1 more litter each. I'm aware Jassera is a non breeding female and is living in the other pride of 13(all are non breeding) with her siblings(Simba & Klaus etc).

I am just interested in Harry's pride as he is related to the females( albeit distantly ie; Harry's grandfather Wallace was full and 1/2 brother to Lunar and Yendi(Mailika's mother and auntie)

Last edited: 5 Mar 2022
  7. Megan Jones

Megan Jones Well-Known Member

Some under the radar breeding took place before everything was halted as a result I believe sweet pea is beryl’s mother ( I could definitely have the names wrong there), this was something i picked up in an Animal park episode where i lioness has suspected renal issues.
    Last I asked they still weren’t planning on breeding and if i were to guess i would say that situation would remain until they clear out the older generations and maybe the bachelor pride.

8. Megan Jones

Jasiri is a problem lion, he’s displayed excessive aggression with every animal he’s ever been placed with. He’s also Luisa’s uncle, this line has some pronounced aggression in various generations.

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have an idea he might even have been a bit nasty with his brothers?
    Such a handsome lion though:)

Megan Jones likes this.
  10. The Hedgehog

@FBBird I didn’t mean to sound harsh but it will be a blessing when Jasiri dies. Not only is Jasiri unable to Father young due to having the snip, but he is particularly volatile. In my view Jasiri is a danger to any Lion that he comes across. Jasiri has been aggressive to his Littermates Lenny and Leo,Amhale at Newquay Zoo and finally Nikita and Kimya at Dartmoor Zoo. I don’t even think Jasiri is calm around Kimya. I would highly recommend moving Jasiri to Longleat’s Bachelor Pride. In exchange for Jasiri I think Longleat should allocate Dartmoor one of their many Males.

When Jasiri and Kimya pass,I think Dartmoor should hold Asiatic Lions. So many collections are phasing the species out. Dartmoor Zoo would be the perfect setting for Asiatics that have been retired from the Breeding Program.

11. The Hedgehog

@Megan Jones when you reference Luisa do you mean Louisa. Their was a Lioness called Louisa born at Linton Zoo (Jasiri’s birth place). Louisa was later Euthanised along with her Cubs at Longleat due to a Neurological condition.

Megan Jones likes this.
  12. Megan Jones

You can’t just add males to bachelor prides like other animals, longleat’s pride are all brothers who have grown up together. Jasiri is also quite old now. Longleat are unlikely to use any of their males are they are massively over represented in the UK. Yes that is the luisa i’m referring to. Furthermore, though i have yet to prove this but i believe zulu of blair drummond was also of the same line and he killed two lionesses when being introduced to that pride.

zoosafari123 likes this.
  13. Rupert89

Rupert89 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Nikita passed away due to ill health and not for management purposes.
    Jasiri and kimya have been currently living together without any issues for some time

14. Dchaz29

Dchaz29 New Member

I was unaware of longleat having a bachelor pride . Can anyone give information on age and parents ? I assume there off show?

15. Megan Jones

Toby , dandy , ghost and george though one of them has passed away and i personally don’t know which. Most specific information i can give you is they were born between 2011-2014. Dandy and Ghost are sweet pea’s. Toby is Klaus’s and maybe Yendi’s; no idea about george but if you match litter names could be the same litter. Also my statement above about beryl is wrong as corrected by a user that knows a lot more than me.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2022
    Embu likes this.
  16. Embu

There was Jumba as well and he featured on Animal Park 2021 having the tip of his tail amputated to prevent the infection after sustaining a large cut.

17. Megan Jones

He’s in simba and klaus’ pride , so is sylvester.