Join our zoo community

Naples Zoo Naples Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 5 Dec 2008.

Tags:
  1. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

I could not bring myself to watch the deputy's body cam video which has been released, but from how it's been described, the deputy asked for a tranquilizer but one wasn't available. Maybe it wasn't possible, but a warning shot on the ground or near Eko might've startled him enough to make him let go. Having learned a little more now about what happened (albeit second hand since I don't want to watch the video) I do have some sympathy for the deputy who was put in an awful position by the irresponsible and reckless actions of a 26 year old man. He will have to live with what he was essentially forced to do to Eko.

I am hopeful that the individual responsible will face criminal charges and be convicted of them. Some time in jail, perhaps with cell wallpaper featuring Eko staring at him, may teach him some lessons.

Wild wolverine likes this.
  2. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In these situations where a human life is in immediate danger, a tranquilizer will never be an option. It’s takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes for most drugs to take effect, and in such situations the animal’s adrenaline will often fight the drugs and it can take longer or have the reverse effect. Just today I immobilized two very tractable aoudad for yearly exams, and in a very calm, dark, barn they still took 10-12 minutes to go down. One could argue that perhaps a dart gun could have been used first just to see if the tiger would drop the man after being startled, but hind sight is always 20/20 and it would not be a guarantee and could just as easily escalate the situation.

Warning shots or shots at the ground are also not viable options due to the threat of the returning bullet/ricochet. Both go against all gun safety protocols.

This all just further exemplifies the points in my initial post.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2021
  3. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its sad for him,but alas,he put himself in that position with a lapse in thought. I'd never wish ill of anyone and hope he makes a recovery from his foolishness,physically and mentally,and yes,he has been dealt with enough punishment as it is from this one silly mistake that cost the life of a rare animal.. So,maybe my words were a tad harsh,but my larger sympathies lie with the loss of the beautiful beast

IndianRhino and Bengal Tiger like this.
  4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan, Sarus Crane and Elena like this.
  5. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That could be said about many if not most accidents. Yet they still do happen, and will happen. Among others due to the unpredicability of individual human foolishness - which is why I maintain that there is not such thing as "foolproof".

Cleaning staff can be a security issue. Not just in zoos, but in laboratories, power plants, federal buildings...and yet they are a necessity.

Using a high pressure jet of water as a water cannon (provided by the local fire department) aimed at the Tiger could have been a nonlethal alternative, but there have been cases (including intraspecific fights among animals) in zoos in which that didn't suffice.

StoppableSan, nczoofan and zoomaniac like this.
  6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited the zoo a few weeks ago and just a few quick updates. I visited just two days before the tiger incident, so to be completely honest wanted to avoid thinking about it.
    • It does not appear construction has begun on the new entrance. I know fundraising is mostly done so I would expect work to begin potentially this year.
    • The zoo no longer holds Sitatunga (The male went to Baltimore). Instead the yard now just holds the existing pair of black-crowned cranes. I would imagine the zoo will move one of the affected hoofstock species over, when construction begins on the entrance.
    • I didn't see many bongo or rhim gazelle. I am unsure if they have less now or if they were just off display during my visit.
    • The reeves muntjac are no longer signed with the yellow-backed duiker. This area is slated to become the new South American section, so that may play a factor.
    • The white-headed lemur are next to the fossa now. This has made care of them easier than on the island.

7. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2 Feb 2022
    TinoPup likes this.
  8. TinoPup

Thanks for sharing. Very happy to read that they completely clear the zoo of any wrongdoing. The fences are appropriate, they have the correct barriers, there's signs and locks everywhere. It seems like the guy managed to keep his arm, which is amazing given his injuries.

For those wishing to look at it, the graphic images don't start until pg 35, after the text, lots of photos of the exhibit and exhibit details, etc.

9. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

TinoPup likes this.
  10. TinoPup

zoomaniac, nczoofan and StoppableSan like this.
  11. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

TinoPup likes this.
  12. TinoPup

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

People who like zoos have likely been under the impression that animal rights groups, random examples of poor husbandry, and perhaps public distaste for seeing animals in captivity would cause the eventual demise of the institutions we enjoy.

Unfortunately, it's a lot more basic than that. Plain old human stupidity and declining common sense/self respect will get the job done just fine with the society of junkies, tweakers, and general trash that we are cranking out lately. People like this make Beavis and Butthead look like Malcolm Gladwell.

14. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

I find it incredibly hard to believe as well. Hopefully this decision will be re-examined.

zoomaniac, Kifaru Bwana and TinoPup like this.
  15. groundskeeper24

My best guess is that the zoo is taking pity on the poor dolt. It's completely his doing, but the man nearly just had an appendage ripped off by an animal that's basically designed to rip and tear flesh. Maybe they just figured he'd suffered enough and are thankful that he's not in a position to sue them.

I'd prefer that he be prosecuted. Not because I'm a sadistic, cruel individual (I sort of am), but as a deterrent to future people of his ilk that might attempt similar stunts. It's one thing to be incapacitated and scarred for life, but it's almost worse to have that on top of say, 30 days in jail or a sizable fine.

It's hard to put monetary value on an animal like that. People like us see them as the most valuable things on the planet, but I have no idea how a court would interpret such a loss for the zoo or how they would be made whole again if the potential offender was required to do so.

Elena and StoppableSan like this.
  16. TinoPup

It has nothing to do with what the zoo wants. The sheriff even says in the article that they want to prosecute him, they just can't figure out what to charge him with. They can't put the death of the cat on him, courts will side with saving the human over the animal every time.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. groundskeeper24

Oh. Well, it's definitely a lost asset. It's also possibly trespassing, I suppose.

18. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Breaking and Entering?

19. TinoPup

He didn't, though. He was supposed to be there, he just stepped over a barrier and ignored signs. They might be able to stick on a trespassing thing for the barrier, but I'd guess it's such a minor thing that it isn't worth prosecuting, and they could be concerned about a judge not willing to convict due to the injury. From the zoo's POV, it's bad if someone doesn't get charged with doing this, but it's probably worse if they get taken to court and the criminal isn't convicted.

Neil chace likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Petition to rename lake in honour of Eko the tiger:

Naples City Council looks into changing name of lake to honor Eko, tiger killed at zoo

A Southwest Florida community is doing what it can to honor Eko, an 8-year-old Malayan tiger shot and killed at the Naples Zoo in December.

The Lake Park Community wants to honor Eko by renaming a lake in his honor.

The Naples City Council discussed the idea on Monday and are looking into the procedure on changing the lake’s name.

The article also notes the zoo are looking into receiving a new tiger - obviously subject to programme recommendations.