Join our zoo community

National Zoo and Aquarium National Zoo and Aquarium News 2022

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 10 Feb 2022.

1. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would hope this is not going to be a dead end for them at the NZ, I can't see why they can't split the group and import 2 or 3 more and send the others to another zoo and let them import some unrelated animals to start another group. I really hope these few are not acting as exhibit fillers until they pass like the Duskys are apparently at AZ.

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  2. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

I do wonder whether the slowdown in breeding is related to the fact that many of the animals in Australia (particularly those originating from Melbourne) are subspecific hybrids. The population thread notes that the females imported to Adelaide in 2020 are purebreds, and the recent annual report from Zoos SA indicates they are being paired with the males for breeding (unsure if the males are purebreds or hybrids).

Were colobus ever displayed at Monarto, or were they housed off-display? Colobus were included in the Monarto masterplan in 2015, although I'm not sure whether Zoos SA plans to house them at both sites going forward, or whether the move to Adelaide (as an African rainforest species potentially to be alongside gorillas in the future) is simply a swap between the two campuses.

(Also, more than happy to continue this discussion in another thread if it's more on-topic elsewhere.)

3. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sometimes they just seem to lose interest in a species like Bongos and Onagers ect. :(

Zoofan15 and Patrick Keegan like this.
  4. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The National Zoo and Aquarium have quietly received a potential breeding pair of Red Panda recently. Raj, a male from Sydney Zoo and Nasapati, a female from Perth Zoo have been transferred to the zoo - confirmed via email.

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A new Capuchin has arrived - named Mocha.

Info from socials.

Swanson02 likes this.
  6. Jambo

A male zebra foal was born recently to first time mother, Kiva, from Hamilton. He’s been given the name, Kyan.

Confirmed via email.

7. Jambo

The National Zoo have emailed back that the mother is in fact Johari, not Kiva as they initially mentioned.

The foal is Johari's second following Jabari's birth last year.

8. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

The National Zoo today posted on Instagram that their Serval, Souda, has turned 18 (born 30/11/2004).

Souda is noted to be the oldest Serval in Australia and has sired two litters of kittens.

9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s great to hear he’s still alive and well.

Souda was born at Auckland Zoo in a litter of 1.2 kittens - the first litter born in the new exhibit, which opened that year. The birth was hugely exciting as the zoo had only successfully bred this species once before (a single kitten born in the old cages).

10. Zoofan15

11. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

I haven't read the article as it is paywalled; however, the alligator in the photo appears to be outside. If that is indicative of the new exhibit, then I wonder where it is located within the zoo. On my recent visits this year, there has been a relatively new exhibit for alligator in the area which leads towards the Jamala dining room (but is open to the general public as part of the aquarium).

The alligators in that exhibit were relatively small and I made a throwaway comment to my friend about how they looked cute, only to be corrected by a preschooler nearby who assured me that they could still eat me!

12. Zoofan15

There’s a small water area next to the Sumatran tiger exhibits, but it doesn’t look big enough for an alligator exhibit. I’d guess maybe they’ve encroached on the forested area adjacent to the giraffes.

They don’t seem to be following geographical zoning, though at least their Indian antelope have their own exhibit and aren’t sharing with the giraffe etc.

steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.
  13. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Abbey

Can imagine younger smaller American Alligators would look cute..equally cute about that preschooler saying that to you lol

Abbey, Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.