Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo National Zoo Birds

Discussion in 'United States' started by avian83, 22 Aug 2010.

1. avian83

avian83 Active Member

Today I visited the National Zoo to check out some of their new birds. I've posted photos on my Flickr: National Zoo, Aug 2010 - a set on Flickr

The Bird House had some nice surprises: a new exhibit for a flock of Swamp Sparrows (two subspecies: nominate and nigrescens) which are housed with a pair of Southern Masked Weavers; several Blue-winged Teal in both the wetland exhibit and the walk-through Indoor Flight Room; Socorro Doves (also new) in the wetland exhibit and in another hall gallery with four Guira Cuckoos; and, most striking, a pair of Spectacled Owls which are rather unfortunately in one of the smaller hall exhibits which previously held a Green Magpie.

The Great Outdoor Flight Cage always seems to be devoid of birds considering how massive it is. There were a few sleeping ducks, some peafowl, a pair of Temminck's Tragopans and three Bamboo Partridges but nothing else. I feel like that space could be used more efficiently but I'm sure the staff have their reasons for not filling it more.

The Indoor Flight Room also seemed to be lacking, with only 11 species (compare to 15 in 2009 and 18 in 2007) and max two individuals of each species. The Lilac-breasted Rollers (my favorite) are still in there, along with two very active Blue-crowned Motmots which were perched about two feet away from the visitors at the lower entrance.

Many of the exhibits were undergoing renovation, including the entire strip of southeast Asian bird galleries.

Amazonia now has a beautiful male White-tailed Trogon flying around with the other species (I saw one Roseate Spoonbill and two each of Blue-gray Tanager and Red-crested Cardinal) which I believe came from the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It was in great condition and very active, fluttering around right above the path.

Construction continues on the new Elephant Trail exhibit and it looks like it'll be fantastic, especially considering what used to be in its place. The grass was lush and there are several pools as well.

And the pandas were out! Always a nice surprise.

2. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

What are all the species in the indoor flight room?

3. avian83

avian83 Active Member

Today I saw:
    Ringed Teal
    Blue-winged Teal
    Malay Great Argus
    Sunbittern
    Nicobar Pigeon
    Western Crowned Pigeon
    Blue-crowned Motmot
    Lilac-breasted Roller
    Bali Mynah
    Silver-beaked Tanager
    Blue-gray Tanager

In recent years I've also seen:
    Scarlet Ibis
    Bahama Pintail
    Crested Wood Partridge
    Sulawesi Ground Dove
    Blue-crowned Hanging Parrot
    Plum-headed Parakeet
    Eclectus Parrot
    Violet Turaco
    Guira Cuckoo
    Magnificent Bird of Paradise
    Golden-breasted Starling
    but did not see any of them today.

4. elephantking

elephantking Well-Known Member

great collection are the kiwis on display?

5. avian83

avian83 Active Member

Supposedly. I never see them in the nocturnal room so I didn't look.

6. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was at the zoo yesterday and saw one in the nocternal room. It was not very active.

7. elephantking

elephantking Well-Known Member

i will be visiting thursday i will take lots of pictures

8. avian83

avian83 Active Member

Returned last Saturday to see the new Crested Oropendolas in the Bird House and they are already toying with nesting material. They share their exhibit with a Wood Duck and two Ringed Teal. Next to them is an exhibit with a new female Spangled Cotinga (sharing her exhibit with Elegant Crested Tinamou and a Socorro Dove). These exhibits used to house Asian birds: Hooded Pitta, Black-naped Oriole (both gone from the Zoo), Pheasant Pigeon and Fairy Bluebird (elsewhere in Bird House).

Indoor Flight Room had the same inhabitants as on my previous visit, with the addition of a Sulawesi Ground Dove, a female Eclectus Parrot, and a pair of Fairy Bluebirds. None are new to my knowledge; maybe I just didn't see them last time. The Blue-winged Teal were relocated elsewhere in the building. It's always nice to see the Lilac-breasted Rollers, which are being phased out from U.S. zoos altogether and could possibly be gone in a decade or so.

9. avian83

avian83 Active Member

Made two more visits, one in April and another this morning. As usual, the Bird House feels under-stocked inside but appropriately stocked outside. The Guam Rails, Guam Kingfishers, and Socorro Doves, which are all in the same corner, are all sectioned off, as are the Kiwis; I would imagine this is due to nesting activity. (I saw the Guam Rails on a nest in April and the Socorro Doves on one today.) Other species which recently bred in the Bird House: Black Crake, Burrowing Owl, and (I think) Red-billed Hornbill. The Sunbittern were on a nest as well in the freeflight.

The Blue-billed Curassows have been moved outside, where there are now Whooping Cranes and Brown Pelicans as well.

Inside the Great Outdoor Flight Cage was an incredibly tame Double-crested Cormorant that followed the visitors around, but then croak-barked at them when they got too close. There were also some White-faced Ibis in here which I haven't seen at the zoo in years, and the Derbyan Parakeets were moved in here from a smaller aviary -- beautiful birds, nice to see them in free flight.

Amazonia was incredibly quiet. Gone are the days of 10-15 species; today I only saw 2 (Sunbittern, Roseate Spoonbill) and heard a 3rd (White-tailed Trogon). A few other common passerines were listed but remained invisible.

10. siamang27

It seems to me that the birds in Amazonia should just be moved to the bird house area.

11. avian83

avian83 Active Member

I think it would be awesome if they beefed up the collection in there. Move the other pair of motmots from the Bird House, throw in some cotingas and large (motmot-proof) hummingbirds, etc. It would be fantastic. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

12. siamang27

Yeah, I don't see why there can't be more birds there, but if the bird house is also understocked, then they might as well just put the small Amazonia collection in there, since there is probably extra room. That, or just get some more birds for both exhibits, but I doubt this is a priority for them.

13. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ok I know this thread is borderline ancient but does anybody know if they still have lilac breasted roller?

14. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know but I wouldn't think so because the zoo has been slowly lowering their bird population and sending them to other facilities as they get ready for construction of Experience Migration.

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/birds/experience_migration.cfm

15. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks. I also emailed he zoo, but last time they didn't respond. I'll be visiting in less than a week :D.