Join our zoo community

Native Mammals in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 11 Feb 2014.

1. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just spoke to the curator and he says they have one Pygmy-possum and it's on-show

Chlidonias likes this.
  2. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You can add Wildlife Sydney to the Yellow-bellied Glider.

Does anyone knows something of the status of Short-eared Rock-wallaby Petrogale brachyotis that is listed for Perth? I didn't see it, nor a signage.

I see there has been a significant decline in smaller dasyurid species in the last decade. When I visited the two wildlife parks of the NT in 2007, for me the small dasyurids - Mulgara, Kultarr, Common Planigale, Fawn Antechinus, Red-tailed Phascogale - were one of the major highlights in their mammal collections, next to the Greater Bilby.

3. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I was in Perth on July last year I was told by a keeper that the Rock Wallaby is kept behind the scenes.

AWP likes this.
  4. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unfortunately the Rock Ringtail Possum in TWP passed away last year.

There was no sign of Stripe-faced Dunnart in ASDP during my visit on July 2017.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Mar 2018
  5. Najade

So I made it just in time last year!?:eek:

As per a phone call today the Pygmy-possum at Trowunna is off-show as well.

6. Najade

Striped Possums at Wildlife Habitat are off-show.

7. Najade

Daintree Wild Zoo has Northern Quoll.

8. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello all! I'm planning a big zoo trip that will include parts of Australia that I've never been to before. I will likely keep it narrowed to Perth, Alice Springs and Darwin in order to see the best collection of mammal species new for me. This thread has been very helpful in my planning and I had the following 3 questions if anyone could help:

1. Can anyone expand on the following species stating specifically where they're held:

a. Southern Brown Bandicoot Isoodon obesulus

b. Rufous Bettong Aepyprymnus rufescens

c. Black Flying-fox Pteropus alecto gouldii

2. I'll be visiting the main zoos at those 3 cities, but do any of you have suggestions for other smaller collections in these areas and what unique mammal species they may have- such as Peel Zoo or Caversham Wildlife Park?

3. Do any of you have connections in the zoos of these 3 cities that I could get in touch with for photographing animals which may be off exhibit?

Thanks in advance for any help!

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Southern Brown Bandicoot are at Adelaide, Caversham, Cleland, and probably a few others. They aren't terribly common as zoo animals, and the zoos generally don't specify whether they have eastern or western. Any in western zoos are likely to be Quenda. Caversham would probably be the most convenient for you. They are easy to see in the wild as well.

Rufous Bettong at Australian Walkabout, Billabong, Cairns Wildlife Dome, Caversham, Darling Downs, Gumbuya, Hartleys, Ipswich, Moonlit, Peel, Secret Creek, and various others. Caversham and Peel would probably be the most convenient for you.

Black Flying Fox at Caversham, Territory, Lone Pine, Halls Gap, and they are usually at any bat rescue places. They are common in the wild if you're in range as well.

10. Najade

According to their website Bettong and Bandicoot are also around at the zoo in Albany.
    They're doing nocturnal tours every Friday this month too.

As far as zoos other than the main ones go Alice Springs only seems to have the Reptile Park and in Darwin I'd only consider Crocodylus (for it's reptile collection though) and maybe the aquarium (obviously also not for mammals;)).

Caversham would probably be your best bet as they have all the species you asked for (haven't been myself yet so no idea what the exhibits are like) as well as Northern Nailtail-wallaby. Quenda are supposed to be easy to see at Murdoch University and the new hospital (even during daytime) if you miss them at the zoo.
    There's also Barna Mia nocturnal tours at Dryandra which would give you a couple more rarities (although most of them are also around at ASDP I believe) and Karakamia does night tours too.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2018
  11. AWP

When in Alice Springs, I would recommand to go to the camp site at Heavitree Gap around dusk (besides visiting Desert Park of course). Great spot to see Black-footed Rock Wallabies and you're allowed to hand feed them.

For unique mammal species, it would be just Desert Park and Territory Wildlife Park in the NT. Crocodylus Park has some big cats and monkeys, if I remember correctly (didn't visit it, but saw some flyers). There was a serpentarium in Humpty Doo (unfortunately closed when I was there on my way to Litchfield), but I don't know if it still exists.

12. Najade

Western Ringtail, Red-tailed Phascogale and Fat-tailed Dunnart are not on show in Perth's nocturnal house anymore.

13. AWP

Lucky me! I saw all three at the end of January. Western Ringtail and Phascogale were in the first enclosure and Dunnart in the second one, so for which species are these enclosures used at this moment?

14. Najade

First one has Common Brushtail Possum and second one has Dibbler (at least now it has a bigger enclosure than before). I knew they were planning to phase out the Dunnart but didn't know about the other two. It does diminish the collection quite a bit.

15. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lumhotlz Tree Kangaroos are now held at Currumbin making it the 4th park in the state to hold the species I believe there are to be more holders in the future!

16. AWP

I was looking for some info about the hairy-nosed wombats of Rotterdam (didn't find it yet), when I came across the following in a trip report of some employees of the Rotterdam zoo dated from 1999 about Taronga:

According to this report Taronga kept the rarities in bold in the nocturnal house .

17. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

I was pretty young at this time, but I was already signed up as a Zoo Friend and all that. And I'm pretty sure that none of these were on display in the nocturnal house or anywhere else. Possibly they were behind the scenes? More likely, though, they were misidentified. Of course it's possible my memory is faulty and someone can correct me.

18. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't recall Taronga ever having Kaluta, and the numbats were held in an outdoor enclosure (because they are not nocturnal), but they were long gone by 1999. Kowari were kept at Taronga for many years in one of the first few exhibits in the Nocturnal House (I think it was the third). But I don't recall quokka being there either - they were outside with echidnas next to the Kangaroo walkthrough and Koala Encounters.

:p

Hix

AWP likes this.
  19. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Kowari were common inhabitants in Australian nocturnal houses in the '80's and 90's but had largely died out by 2000. It is a pity no program was established for them as they suffered the common dasyurid "boom and bust" syndrome. Various antechinus turn up from time to time in nocturnal houses, usually rescues or derived from an university research program. At best they live 2 or 3 years and there has been no serious attempt to establish a captive population of any species. Therefore it is quite possible Taronga acquired some animals that were only there for a short period.

AWP likes this.
  20. Dannelboyz

Dannelboyz Well-Known Member

Healesville Sanctuary have a new pair of quolls on display in the Nocturnal House which I believe are northern quolls :)