Join our zoo community

Natural feeds and enrichment for galliformes

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by logan.ody861, 7 Aug 2013.

1. logan.ody861

logan.ody861 Member

Just wondering what natural feeds and enrichment ideas people have for galliformes? I already grown lettuces in pots and place then in the enclosure when fullygrown but I was wondering what everyone's else does or would suggest?

Ideas needed for pheasants, partridges, guineafowl, quail and jungle fowl!

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Natural feeds and enrichment....

A heap of leaf litter, with a few mealworms or other livefood thrown in.
    Break up the enclosure floor with logs and/or rocks, to provide different levels.
    Appropriate planting makes a difference -- see Grenville Roles' book 'Rare Pheasants of the World'.
    If pellets are fed ad lib in a dish, small amounts of supplementary feeds [different ones from day to day] can be broadcast around the enclosure.
    If there is room for a small pond, this will attract insects which the birds will enjoy hunting.

3. CambsVet

CambsVet Well-Known Member

I'd further what FBBird about leaf litter. I would create a compost and leaf litter pile and add some live insects. As well as using this area to forage you may also find that they use it to dustbath in.

You could also hang food up so its slightly more challenging to eat. I use spray millet with my bantams but you could also use apples etc :)

4. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

Scatter feeds work quite well, small amounts of finely diced fruit or pulses given as an extra to their pelleted food and, as already mentioned, mealworms. Hanging up the lettuce would be good too so they have to jump up a bit to reach it. Rotten bits of wood that might have grubs/insects inside too so they can peck through it to find them. If you have a roofed aviary then higher up perching for roosting if you don't already have it.