Join our zoo community

Need Help in Identification

Discussion in 'China' started by sw_cherating, 22 Apr 2011.

1. sw_cherating

sw_cherating Member

I came across this video on Youtube. My speakers are broken so I couldn't hear what were they saying in the video.

The description of the video was, a weird animal was found kept in some zoo somewhere in China.

Anyone has any idea what animal is this? From the comments posted below the video they were arguing that the animal was an albino raccoon, & my last comment posted to them was that I am definately sure it was not a raccoon.

http://youtu.be/MQ8Gsch8c0w

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd say it looks more like an albino of one of the palm civets; but I am not sure of the exact species.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It is an albino masked palm civet Paguma larvata, or perhaps common palm civet Paradoxurus hermaphroditus, looking a bit overweight as well.

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Same idea, must be a leucistic (or perhaps albino) palm civet...

5. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I hadn't heard of any albino civets before. That's what I think it was too.

6. Chlidonias

in fact it could well be this mentioned individual of Paguma larvata from 1999: Yahoo! Groups

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I only watched a short section, but I would say leucistic and not albino. The eyes do not appear to be red.

I am amazed at how many leucistic animals I am hearing about lately. A year ago I saw a wild leucistic vermillion flycatcher here in Tucson. Recently someone sent me an article link (with b&w photo) about a wild leucistic ocelot in the Gran Chaco. And someone, maybe here on Zoochat, attached another link about a leucistic fishing cat in captivity in Laos (or another southeast Asian country). As a cat fanatic, those are some animals I would love to see. I also saw a leucistic eurasian lynx a year and a half ago at the Nashville Zoo, housed with a typically colored mate. Surprisingly, the zoo does not advertise this at all.

8. Chlidonias

No it is fully albino; the eyes are typical pink of an albino. If it was leucistic the eyes would be normally-coloured (ie black)