Join our zoo community

New Additions to Micke Grove Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Viper, 11 Nov 2013.

1. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

I just wanted to update you guys if anyone was interested.

The Zoo is now working on three new exhibits for three new interesting species of animals to take up residence at the Zoo. I will give you details on both the animals and the exhibits.

Snow Leopard

We have made arrangements to bring in a young female Snow Leopard cub this December from the Albuquerque Zoo. She will be residing in the current Mountain Lion exhibit for the time remaining (while shes still a juvenile) until the East End project is completed.

Recently, a few construction workers have came and redesigned the plans for the Asian Exhibit. They are still on the fence about having the otters as part of the plans due to the fact that the plumbing would be very costly. So it may just be that Snow Leopards will be the only ones inhabiting it. I have yet to see the plans myself.

News at Micke Grove Zoo | San Joaquin County Parks & Recreation

Bobcat

The Bobcat will arrive at the Zoo in a few weeks for quarantine.

Future Exhibit:
    http://www.zoochat.com/1174/empty-exhibit-308857/

The exhibit will have several "catwalks" surrounding the walls of the exhibit at various levels to allow the Bobcat to utilize the height of the enclosure.

News at Micke Grove Zoo | San Joaquin County Parks & Recreation

Gibbon

Recently, the entirety of the old Baboon enclosure was taken out in order to hopefully begin construction of the Gibbon exhibit if the finances are available. :rolleyes:

The plans for it, though, are very interesting. From what I was told, the enclosure will be similar to this:

Gibbon Exhibit at MGZ.png

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Convince them to keep the otters. Otters make everything better.

The gibbon concept looks very cool.