Join our zoo community

Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park New additions?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ituri, 30 Aug 2008.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are vague rumors circulating about new additions to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Anyone think there's a chance there is a new geographic region in the works? Perhaps Australia?

2. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

All I've heard is that Night Kingdom area, other than that I haven't heard of anything else.

3. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

AVATAR-themed land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Do not expect any new animal exhibit complexes in the near future at this park!

From the Disney Parks Blog:

"We have great news to share today. At a press conference happening right now at Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs just announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney Parks. And it’ll all begin at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

James and his producing partner Jon Landau and their team at Lightstorm Entertainment will serve as creative consultants on the project and will work side-by-side with our Walt Disney Imagineers as we dream up experiences that will take our guests deep into worlds of AVATAR like never before. There are also two sequels to the record setting first film in the works, which will offer more fascinating stories, characters and locations to explore in the AVATAR universe. Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

The design phase on the Disney’s Animal Kingdom project has just begun so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details."

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As if I needed another reason to never step foot in this park again, they have come up with one!

6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Arizona Docent: Well, although I like most exhibits at DAK with REAL ANIMALS, I am also disapointed about those AVATAR plans. Science fiction is okay, but why at DAK? Why not in Disneys Hollywood Studios Park, where it would fit much better?
    If DAK really needs more attractions (rides), then they should do it with animals. Someone mentioned an "Australia Theme" which I think is a good idea (I just say: "Bernard and Bianca - The Rescuers Down Under"). I could also imagine an "Amazon River Cruise" thru exhibits with animals of this region.

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

You don't want to spend $80 to see a bunch of blue aliens running around?;) I agree with you 100% and unless there is a major addition to the park that is animal-related I'm not sure that I'll be back for many years.

8. DavidBrown

This is where it becomes clear that this is a theme park first and an animal park second, albeit a spectacular one. To be fair "Avatar" did have a very strong conservation message and a very well-designed ecosystem and wildlife, and this does make a logical fit as the "imaginary animal kingdom" that was part of the original concept of the park. If you don't like the theme park aspect of DAK, then I can see how this is bad or non-interesting news. If you do like Disney rides and immersive environments then it is potentially exciting news.

9. mstickmanp

Being that I'm a Disney Parks fan (I've been to Disneyland around 15 times this summer alone) and an Avatar fan this is exciting news! Although I would prefer an Australian or South American area like zoomaniac mentioned above.

10. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i love disney + animals:D mario, do you have an annual pass?;), but i'm going to say that it is important to remember that DAK is a theme park, however, there animal habitats are truly spectacular. i'd love to see an amazon area.

11. mstickmanp

Yup, I've had one for several years now.:)

12. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lucky;) was going to say, 15 times can't be cheep if you didn't:S

13. DavidBrown

For anyone interested in Animal Kingdom and the new Avatar thing, here is an excellent article that discusses the history of Animal Kingdom as both a zoo and theme park and the pros and cons of how "Avatar Land" fits into it. The guy who wrote it seems to know both zoos and theme parks.

http://www.yesterland.com/avatarkingdom.html

14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm surprised somebody still remembers Avatar. I guess in 3 years time it will have only nostalgia value, like Indiana Jones movies today... Especially that the movie is dependent on visual effects, and they evolve rapidly.

15. Trowaman

Trowaman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So, I was thinking about it. Introducing Avatar as a "world" in Animal Kingdom isn't a bad idea, especially with two more films in the works with a significant step being taken towards sea life in the future films, but an Avatar world at Disney is not what is needed, especially when that Yesteryear article references a full human mythology world of griffins, unicorns, dragons, etc (which would possibly be better). Avatar could make a fun section of the mythology world like the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids play area that was at Hollywood Studios. Disney needs to go bigger than an "Avatar World" to compete with Wizarding World of Harry Potter. They need whole new park. And I got just the right idea.

"The Star Wars Universe." It's a guaranteed cultural icon, people will travel across the country just to experience it if executed correctly. Disney already has the theme park rights with the Star Tours ride. Some of the busiest times at Disney's Hollywood Studios are during Star Wars weekends where they have "jedi training" for the kids, Star Wars parades, and some B/C actors from the movies come sign autographs. Imagine a whole pan on that concept with different worlds of its own: Tatooine, Naboo, Kashyyk, and Bespin. And in the center of the park: Coruscant featuring the Jedi temple as the centerpiece ala Cinderella's Castle/Spaceship Earth/Tree of Life. Set the theme around 1 year before Episode 4, have Vader welcome you to "his Galactic Empire" and have signs with C-3PO and R2-D2 guide you around the park giving you "helpful" hints/directions or signs saying it's a galactic crime to litter in the park with Vader standing on it looking menacing. It'd be the greatest thing ever and would make bank with the amount of merchandise sold at all the gift shops (and the tie in foods, everyone would get blue milk much like how at Harry Potter everyone gets Butter Beer).

So, yeah, Avatar is not a bad idea, it's good one. But it's not a GREAT idea. If Disney wanted to be ambitious, go for the gold bar.

Oh right, zoos . . . umm, the Naboo area could have an aquarium and the Kashyyk world could have a lot of plant information. Maybe there could be a pseudo Dagobah world and fill it with snakes and lizards . . .

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

17. kknudsen

kknudsen Well-Known Member 10+ year member

a male white rhino was born on May 4, 2012

18. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. MJMcB

MJMcB Well-Known Member

I like the changes coming to the Safari where they are adding a large herd of zebra at the end

Should be great

20. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

I was here today and saw a few things I saw the baby rhino but he was in his barn, I saw the construction in the zebra exhibit it had short grass growing and some plants but does not seem close to completion and I was talking to a keeper about the tigers and found out that they have five tigers that all are females that came from a rescue facility and they will never breed because they presume that they are mixed species.