Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo New "Africa Rocks" complex at San Diego Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by DavidBrown, 9 Dec 2012.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope you know I am kidding around with you and not really upset. I just have to give you a hard time because you feel about primates how I feel about cats. If I had gone there would be twenty leopard exhibit photos and only one baboon exhibit photo! :p

2. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah I’m just kidding as well. Don’t take us zoo geeks seriously :p

3. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Of course, I know you are kidding! I have the same sense of humor.

4. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Well-Known Member

Just posted the photos I took today. They are in the San Diego Zoo Media Gallery. They are in order, sort of, so you can take a walking tour. I think a few uploaded in the wrong order, but by carefully looking over the titles, you will be able to figure it out. Also, the Aviary is grouped together, but the Upper Entrance is located on the corner between the Gelada's main yard viewing Area 1 and Viewing Area 2. The Lower Aviary Entrance is located on the bend between the backside Viewing Area for the Vervet Monkeys and the front side Viewing Area. Both the Upper and Lower Aviary are the same enclosure, just different entrances.

You can enter the Ethiopian Highlands from the Outback, from Front Street, and from the Kopje. Both the Front Street and Outback Entrances end up, more or less, at the first Viewing Area. If you stay right while entering from Front Street you will end up just before the second Viewing Area. The Kopje Entrance will lead you into the third Viewing Area.

The Baboons and the Ibex have three yards. I labeled the first enclosure H Baboon 1, the second, H Baboon and Gelada Shared, and the third Gelada 1. It appears to me that this will be an accurate description of the yards usage. I do not believe the Geleadas and the Hamadryas will ever use the Shared Yard together, more a rotation, but I saw no reason for either species to be excluded from all three. That would apply to the Ibex as well. In theory each Species has it's own yard if they all need to be separated. I assume the two apes will always be.

The three yards are impressive with numerous viewing areas, multi-leveled and well landscaped. I suspect it will become even more impressive as the foliage grows in. I saw no sign of the Ibex.

The Leopard Yards are smallish, but well laid out. Plenty of climbing and resting locations. My favorite part is the Transfer Path that is embedded into the rock work, just above the path between the two enclosures. Two Leopards were on hand, but workers were doing some adjustments to the mesh screen in Leopard 1 and the cats were balled up just barely view-able at the base of the Transfer Paths entrance to yard 1. I could plainly see the melanistic one and the coat of a non-melanistic. it is quite possible that the melanistic Leopard was laying on or in a cat bed with leopard print padding. That's how out of view they were.

The Aviary will be nice when the Foliage grows in. Right now, its just a huge open expanse with birds clinging to the mesh or hiding out on the hill.

The Vervet Monkey Exhibit is good as well. The Monkeys were all off exhibit for the majority of the time I was there. One ventured out and milled around for a few minutes, then went back into the off stage area. We shall see.

There were numerous rock structures with the shape of the African Continent pressed into its path face side through out the entirety of Africa Rocks. I believe these will have signs attached to them with information. They also had barricades around them.

Overall I feel Africa Rocks will be a favorite of many on these boards once it grows in and if the growth reduces the glare on the Windows and Mesh at certain times of day. Right now I feel it is too sparse in vegetation, especially mature vegetation, and is lacking a restroom. The nearest restrooms are near the Pandas, in the Outback/Urban Jungle, or Entrance to EO. Also, it will be hot because of the lack of mature trees for shade.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2017
    Arizona Docent, snowleopard and kiang like this.
  5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Great that it is all open! Has the new aviary meant any other aviaries within the zoo have become empty, or at least lost species, or are the species kept in the new aviary new additions to the zoo?

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

San Diego Zoo excels at many things, but creating excellent primate exhibits is one of the zoo's remarkable achievements. Whether it is for gorillas, orangutans, bonobos, gibbons or the vast array of monkeys in the 'Monkey Trails and Forest Tails' section of the zoo, San Diego has long been North America's #1 zoo for primates. Judging from photos it seems as if the recent additions in Africa Rocks (Hamadryas Baboons, Geladas and Vervet Monkeys) are all very impressive.

pachyderm pro and Arizona Docent like this.
  7. Arizona Docent

Glad to hear there are in fact two leopard exhibits (it was reported yesterday there might only be one).

8. betsy

From a primate lover. :(

9. betsy

Thanks for filling in all the blanks for me!

10. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

That's good news that there are two leopard exhibits, now the zoo has six new leopard exhibits counting the Asian Leopards complex in Panda Canyon!

Arizona Docent and StoppableSan like this.
  11. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

Hey! Lemurs are primates too!

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  12. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

Arizona Docent likes this.
  13. Arizona Docent

timmychompchomp likes this.