Join our zoo community

Tiergarten Schönbrunn New Baby Elephant

Discussion in 'Austria' started by Jola, 6 Aug 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good news from Zoo Vienna: a baby was born to african elephant "Numbi", 17 years old, transferred from Wuppertal to Vienna last December, this morning at 7:45 am. It's a little boy, 112 kg. This baby is "Numbi's" 2nd son, "Kibo" is 4 years old now. Father of both boys is "Tusker", who is still living at Wuppertal.

zoobesuche.net

2. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Another boy! Am I right in thinking all of Tiergarten Schönbrunn's elephants are Loxodonta africana?

3. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's correct, there are african elephants at Tiergarten Schönbrunn. Now we have 3 adult females ("Tonga", "Drumbo" and "Numbi"), a 7-year-old female ("Mongu") and to males ("Kibo", nearly 5 years old, and the newborn).

4. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

This is probably going to be a daft question :rolleyes:

I always read up on the other elephants at whichever zoo the event in question (birth, death, transfer) has happened on Ele Encyclopaedia and I noticed that Numbi was one of four (?) who appeared to have arrived at Wuppertal from Africa at the same time and thus form an 'artificial' family.

Anyone know why Numbi was transferred to Vienna? It just seemed a bit odd to me to break up what appears to be an established herd.

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wuppertal´s elephant cows are held in direct contact and Numbi "could not be trusted anymore". They´ve sent her away to avoid possible attack towards keepers if I understod it correctly.

6. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Thank you Jana :)