Join our zoo community

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo new elephant exhibit

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 2 Sep 2008.

1. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone seen the new Encounter Africa complex yet? Anyone have photos of it too?

4. joneil238

joneil238 Member

I have a couple of photos of it from a visit in May. They do not show the scope of the exhibit at all, but there is one of inside the barn and one where you can see maybe 1/2 of one of the elephant yards. I will upload these to the gallery.

5. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo hosting 50th birthday party for Missy the elephant

I am putting the link in this thread, because it shows partly an off exhibit area for the elephants behind their barn. I noticed a picture on Instagram lately of their elephants in a wooded area and I asked the user (zookeeper) about it and he told me how it was off exhibit area where they can roam in the mornings before opening. It looked quite enriching and spacious for them.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s about 3 acres of fenced in forest that the elephants rotate through in the summer. The only things the keepers really have to do is take out any toxic plants. The elephants can’t be in there all day though as the space needs time to recover otherwise the growth wouldn’t come back after the elephants go through it. It’s behind the barn. If anyone visits, look up the mountain as you are driving up Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Rd and you’ll see some bollards and cable. That’s the vacation yard. Otherwise, guests really don’t realize it’s there other than signage in the barn.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ironically, the zoo posted a video of the vacation yard on their facebook page yesterday.

StoppableSan likes this.