Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo New species at Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Writhedhornbill, 21 Apr 2007.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was thinking along the lines of the Java Sparrow as being the one common in captivity gratsmb, but since I do not know the captive population of Timor Sparrow I went along with Hornbill. It could be possible that someone is breeding them privately.

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

i did see a website that showed that. It also had crossbreeds betwen the 2 species

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

hey guys,

I just did a quick internet search. Timor sparrows are being kept in the UK but they aren't very common, maybe only a few dozen aviculturists are keeping them. They're a bit more delicate than Java sparrows apparently, but that would seem more likely to be due to Javas being captive-bred to many generations whereas Timors have only starting being kept fairly recently.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

that's more likely. I shall look out for these Timor Sparrows at Chester now...

5. bongorob

I saw them last week, they are very interesting. It took me a while to get a good view though, they are so active and the aviary is heavily planted in parts.

6. Writhedhornbill

It's a very nice enclosure, realm of the red ape. Did you find out anything about the Shrews?

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read somewhere that (though very common in aviculture almost to the extet of being domesticated) the wild Java Sparrow is actually not so common anymore....

8. Writhedhornbill

Ys. I've read that too. I beleive it as well

9. Chlidonias

the Java sparrow is EXTREMELY endangered in the wild, largely due to the numbers that are caught for the bird trade (both local and international). The actual captive population isn't even much help in terms of conservation because they are so domesticated that there are numerous colour mutations and very few pure 'wild-type' birds. Some of the zoos in the UK and probably elsewhere are I believe trying to keep a wild-type population going for the sake of the species.

10. bongorob

I remember a few years ago some European zoo wanted a flock of pure bred Java Sparrows and were surprised how difficult it was to obtain them. I can't remember which zoo it was but I think it may have been in Holland. Chester do exceptionally well with the Java Sparrow, and the last time I looked on ISIS they had over 90.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2007
  11. Chlidonias

London Zoo and others are also trying to establish a pure 'wild-type' population of Gouldian finches, for the same reasons as for the Java sparrows (ie, too many mutations messing things up)

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

hey,

as anyone got anymore news of the jaguar births?

I was there on sunday and could see sofia out and about, i guess the cubs would be still quite young if they surived and still be hiding in the den.

13. Writhedhornbill

I'm sorry, but I don't know. Someone just said that that Sofia had given birth. Dr Gordon Reid also agreed, so I was inclined to beieve it to be true.

14. Writhedhornbill

Has Chester got it's gazelles yet?

15. bongorob

Not that I know of. I was going to go today but I've cut my shin and decided to rest my leg instead. I looked on ISIS but there has been no update this week.

16. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Which gazelles do you mean? I went to Chester Wednesday before last and there were no signs of the Goitred Gazelle or the Addax that I could see.

17. bongorob

Addax are coming from Germany, they should have arrived last August and will be going in the paddock next to the onager and camels. There used to be a sign announcing their arrival. The reason they are not in the zoo is becuase there was an outbreak of blue-tongue disease in Germany last year, so the movement of even-toed ungulates into the UK was prohibited. Edinburgh have recently imported deer from the continent, and Chester have had their pigs, so I assume the ban is no longer in place. If they're still not there when I next visit I'll try to find out why.

Tim Rowlands, the team leader for the giraffe section told me last October he was negotiating with Helsinki to bring in some Persian Goitred Gazelles. They have a herd of about 20 so it should not be a problem obtaing them. I think he said he was waiting for Helsinki to catch them up when they do the annual health check. He also wants a second Asian gazelle species, this may be Bennett's Gazelle. The goitred gazells will be housed with the onagers and camels, but not until the indoor accommodation under the bridge has been modified.

Hopefully both these species will be at Chester before the end of the year.

18. Writhedhornbill

Thanks for enlighteneing us.

I checked on ISIS, and bennet's gazelle seem a bit too rare for Chester to obtain. Only in 1 zoo i think.

19. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Only in one Isis registered zoo. You never know, they could be getting them from somewhere else?

I think Cuvier's Gazelle would be a good species to bring in, they could create a mixed species with the Addax if there was room.

20. bongorob

There may be Bennett's Gazelles in non-ISIS registered zoos, or in private collections. Some of the Arab states are breeding all sorts of things. Cuvier's would be nice. Chester also considered Slender-horned Gazelles a few years back, along with Gerenuk, but nothing seems to have happened. The Addax will be occupying the old lechwe paddock, and the adjacent smaller one where the red river hogs used to be. There's plenty of room.