Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo New species at Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Writhedhornbill, 21 Apr 2007.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A Philippines themed area is planned. I don't know where, nor when it will start. I've been told that addax are probably not coming to Chester now.

2. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Aw shame about the Addax but at least we can have fun speculating what else could go in it's exhibit. How about Mhorr/Addra/Cuvier's Gazelle or another Wild Ass species? I guess if they've struggled with Addax they might go for a slightly easier to get hold of species in the meantime. I think it's almost certainly going to be a desert ungulate though.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The male Komodo dragon that arrived from Rotterdam Zoo is a mature individual. Rotterdam Zoo is the EEP Coordinator and has decided that chances for reproduction at Chester are quite good. Would be nice to have both females breed naturally with the new male!

Rotterdam has in exchange received 2 3 year old dragons from Reptilandia in the Canaries (where Rotterdam's mature female was sent for breeding). Reptilandia was the first to breed Komodo dragons in 2004. The only other natural breeding of Komodos took place this year at Praha Zoo.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Phillipine crocs

Any idea where the Philippine crocs might come from? London Zoo intend to go into this critically endangered croc as well. Cannot remember but somewhere I read that Paignton - currently building Crocodile Swamp for their Cuban crocodiles - is also looking into possibilities for this species. Anyone can verify this?

5. bongorob

I've seen that too, Jelle. Like you I can't remember where.

6. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I was informed that it may be Denmark or the Netherlands.
    I also think that given chester's philippine conservation, they will be given priority.

What crocs do London House Currently?

7. bongorob

I found out where I saw the information about Philippine Crocodiles. It was sin the Summer 2007 issue of Zoo Grapevine. Paignton are considering exhibiting Philipine Crocs and either Nile Crocodiles, or American Alligators.

8. bongorob

I went two weeks ago and saw Chinese Alligators which have been kept since 1988. London also has Dwarf Caiman.

9. Kifaru Bwana

bongorob,

I got the info off my membership of the Rotterdam Zoo. They are building a big outdoor exhibit for their lone female Chinese alligator. The plan is to breed them (and this species thrives better in outdoor exhibits they have found where in winter they can dig holes to hibernate!).

The project envisages the relocation of the current pair of Chinese alligators from London Zoo to Rotterdam on a permanent breeding loan. The London Zoo will then refurbish the enclosure to make it suitable for Phillipine crocs. I think that it is quite exciting that 3 UK zoos now intend to try and breed this critically endangered croc.

Oh and I refound the Paignton bit! In the archived news section they have a news item on the Cuban croc exhibit and talk of Phillipine crocs and American alligators. So, there!

10. Kifaru Bwana

Sorry bongorob,

Read your earlier comment on Paignton's crocs. Thanx!!!

11. bongorob

No problem Jelle. A few years back the alligators at London were in the Lubetkin penguin pool. Then they went back into the reptile house.

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

congratulations all you chester zoo fans according to wikipedia chester has jst received a male indri now call me sceptical, i know there is a new lemur exhibit being built but is this not a little fanciful, by the way what species are going into this exhibit and where is it, and finally this aquarium project origins has anyone seen any plans or species list.

13. Writhedhornbill

Don't know anything about the lemurs, sorry. Nothing about indri on ISIS.......
    The aquarium will be redone, when the offshow aquairium is built in some of the zoo's land. This land is not part of the main zoo.

14. bongorob

I don't think Chester will exhibit an indri.

The new aquarium is supposed to be going on to the site of the existing (1952) building. I was wondering how it could be done, Hornbill has solved the puzzle. A new offshow aquarium to be built outside the zoo, allowing for the clearing of the site.

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i'm sure i read on one of the threads here that one of the islands was being turned into a walk through exhibit with 4 species of lemur. the indri dear boy has as much chance of turning up as elvis has of performing the opening ceremony to its exhibit. the aquarium should be quite spectacular i take it will be large and concentrate on freshwater species as the aquarium at ellesmere port is sea water.

16. Writhedhornbill

Imagine.. An Indri. (Mouth waters)

17. bongorob

I posted the info on a new lemur exhibit. I've since heard that the project has been put on hold. The source I originally saw stated that planning permission had been obtained. There is enough land to double the size of the existing aquarium, of which probably only 50% is open to the public anyway.

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what they are building behind the jaguar house?

You can see it from the releam of the red ape, i gather also the buildings there are the animal hosipitol/quaranttee building?

19. Writhedhornbill

Yes. It is a small mammal building. It will house the zoo's small mammal babies and maybe some native species. Mainly rodents, as the curator is a big fan of them.

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

thanks for that it has been confusing me for a few weeks.