Join our zoo community

Closed New thread vs necro thread Etiquette

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by ZooElephantMan, 4 Jun 2015.

1. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I want to make a new thread to talk about a topic, but then see that theres already a really old one that people stopped using that is about the same thing, would people like it more for me to restart the old one, or make a new thread?

2. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

There's no point in making a new topic on the same subject, when old one is not locked.

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Thread Etiquette

If you want to start a new discussion (as opposed to continuing an exisitng one) and the old thread is five years old, I think you may as well start a new thread (although it would be handy and useful if you linked the existing thread and stated why you think a new discussion would be beneficial). Try to search for related discussions before creating a new thread, to be sure its not been discussed recently. And please post it in the correct forum, for example if it relates to just zoos of a specific country, it should be posted in that country's forum.

Thanks for asking! :)

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

it does also really depend on what the topic is.

If, say, there is a five year old thread about a new animal species being discovered, and you want to post something about this animal being photographed for the first time this week - then add it to the old thread.

Basically, if the new post relates directly to the really old ones then the same thread is fine. If it is just the same general topic, then a new thread is probably better.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I agree 100% with Chlidonias here - start a new thread unless it directly relates to what was discussed in the old thread.