Join our zoo community

new thylacine photo!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by patrick, 28 Sep 2007.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

the wonders of photoshop....

i love photoshop. i work in it all day every day.

for those interested here's a comparison of teh two imagesand and explaination of what i did...

1) reshaped the body to give it less bulky forequartes and more pronounced hindlegs. this was just what seemed right to me. i didn't use any reference pics.

2) lengthened the heel.

3) added the stripes. on the net i found a decent photo of a real museum thylacine study skin from above. i then cleaned up that image, and used the "warp" feature, to wrap the stripes around the body as if they were painted on a sheet of cloth. i then colour corrected the fossa's skin to better match the tan coat of a thylacine.

4) reshaped the ears. to do this "painted" in the tops using the same colour palette from the photograph

5) rescaled the head and muzzle. the head to body ratio looked wrong to me and teh muzzle too short. i slightly shrunk the head and lengthened the muzzle trying not to go overboard and ruin teh very lifelike appearance of the fossa.

6) i subtly lightened the areas around the fossa's eyes using mounted thylacines for ref.

the result well, it fooled a few of you guys!! :D the only thing that really still bugged me was the "chubby" arms. and trust zoopro to notice that straight away!!

Attached Files:

2. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

As you know Pat, I've been around a while, and it takes a lot to fool an old dog like me! :)

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I put a picture of my brother's face onto a picture of a female orang at San diego. He wasn't pleased!!!

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I particularly like the way you handled the head, very subtle and effective - and such pretty ears.

Alan

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But the ears were the very first thing I noticed that didn't seem right. Too pointed. The Thylacine's ears were(are?) rounded along the top edge. The rest of the head is very convincing though.. (this could run and run...;)