Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park New tiger trails

Discussion in 'United States' started by kiang, 1 Dec 2008.

1. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It hasn't started yet, but they have started closing off some of the paths there.

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Sumatran Tiger news:

Two 3-month-old Sumatran tigers bounded into their new home Friday at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

Joanne and Majel followed their mother, Delta, and explored the three-acre tiger exhibit for the first time.

The Zoo Safari Park, which used to be known as the San Diego Wild Animal Park, is raising funds to build a new forested tiger exhibit that will include climbing rocks, swimming pools, trees and long grass. The new exhibit will put guests at eye level with the big cats and other animals.

The park is home to six members of the species, and 23 have been born there over the years.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Truly great news. Of course 2014 (completion date) is still a ways off, but at least there seems to be a definite deadline in sight for the first time.

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

7. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Really happy to see they reached their goal before the deadline and that they've already broken ground. Bummer, though, it won't open until Spring 2014. That seems so far off.
    ========
    Work began Wednesday on a five-acre Sumatran tiger habitat at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, to be named after movie producer Thomas Tull and his wife, Alba.

The exhibit will be named the Tull Family Tiger Trail to honor the man behind the “Dark Knight” films and other popular movies like “The Hangover” and “300.”

The Tulls gave a challenge grant in May to San Diego Zoo Global, contingent on securing an additional $2 million from other donors to complete the funding of the $19.6 million project.
    ========
    Does that mean the Tulls are the anonymous donors of the $9mil? Or did they put up the rest of the money that didn't cover the anonymous donor's $9mil and the $2mil secured by public donations? It's kind of confusing to me. I had thought about donating, but since my own local zoo is also fund-raising for a new tiger exhibit, I decided to donate to them.

8. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know where my 2014 Holiday will be then.

9. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

No kidding! And while I live just a tad bit closer than you, I've been wanting to force myself to start visiting other zoos rather than keep going to San Diego all the time (I live in Arizona), but I must go see the new tiger exhibit. <sigh>

10. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I don't know if this had been mentioned before, but according the the zoo's Facebook page, the exhibit will have underwater viewing.

11. Arizona Docent

I have not heard that before. Could be cool, but only if you happen to be at the exhibit while a tiger chooses to be in that pond. I wonder if they are still on track for Spring 2014, which is not that far away. I had kind of put this whole project out of my mind and for some reason think of it as a long way off. Next Spring is closer than I realized.

12. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that the facebook page also says that it will open Summer of 2014, so it has been delayed a bit.

13. Otter Lord

I'm still thinking they'll be done by Labor Day. Its not surprised.

14. Arizona Docent

Labor Day is the END of summer. Maybe you mean Memorial Day (beginning of summer)?

15. Otter Lord

I stand corrected. So many holidays.

16. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

17. Arizona Docent

Only the first three photos appear to be of the exhibit site, but what is there looks very nice. I think this will be a top notch exhibit.

18. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Forgive me, AD. I should've made note of that. Thanks! It looks to be shaping up quite nicely. One of the water features, looks impressive at this stage. It should pan out nicely and give the tigers enriching lives, as well as flexibility for the park to shift animals around.

19. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

did anyone ever see like the latest species list for the Tiger Trail? The new master plan has no labels of the reptiles or deer that were mentioned earlier in the design process. I was just wondering if they got removed from the project or what?

20. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My understanding is that the species list is as follows:

• Sumatran tiger