Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park New tiger trails

Discussion in 'United States' started by kiang, 1 Dec 2008.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All of the other species other than tigers were eliminated from the plans. The new tiger exhibit is slated to open in May 2014 according to the January ZooNooz.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Since none of the other species are in the cat family, it is fine by me. :p

3. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

I mean its gonna be a blockbuster tiger exhibit for sure but I think they could've really made this an unbelievable asian exhibit. I'm still excited to visit when it opens but I'm kinda disappointed that they don't have a larger species list.

4. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The site they've chosen for the exhibit is kind of small for a large tiger exhibit complex. It is situated on a hill that runs from the end of the bridge to just the lion lookout that no longer exists. There is not much space for immersion like the current lion exhibit as the perimeter of the exhibits are entirely mesh. I looked at the underwater viewing area today from the bridge and it looks very small. It looks like the emphasis will be on the new longhouse building and the added features for managing the tigers with new bedrooms plus three yards. The yards all look very small from the plan too. It will be nice, but not block-buster.

I'm happy they just decided to focus on tigers instead of other species because it would have been too much for the hillside. Although, the space is not suited for large tiger exhibits, but better for small hillside aviaries and smaller species. This means the original aviaries and reptile habitats would have been better than this set up, but this set-up is better for the tigers.

5. Arizona Docent

I still LOVE the idea of three separate tiger exhibits. I could envision myself (a cat fanatic) spending a couple hours or more just in this one spot. With this plus the upcoming new big cat exhibits at the zoo, I will definitely need to renew my expired membership.

6. sandiegomaster

sandiegomaster Well-Known Member

7. Arizona Docent

8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Seconded.

Though, I secretly wish San Diego would make a formal split of sorts. The Zoo dedicates itself to Asia and the Subcontinent and the WAP takes on Africa and all that entails.

9. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

The logwalk looks interesting. Since the Zoo and Park are making paths easier for handicapable people, how will this work? It looks narrow, which doesn't bode well for people in wheelchairs. They will probably get harassed to move along faster. And we cannot forget strollers. Clogging the path and abandoned blocking the paths while parents wrangle their monsters or take photos.

10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Functionally the split that you mention has happened more or less over the years, although a bit differently. The WAP focuses on the savanna fauna of Africa and the grassland Asian animals. The zoo exhibits the forest animals of those continents. Obviously there is some overlap as some popular savanna and forest species (giraffes, elephants, gorillas, lions, tigers) are at both places.

11. Arizona Docent

I am sure there will be a bypass for people in wheelchairs, strollers, walkers, etc to access the area without going over the logwalk.

12. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Has there been any mention of an animal/web/whatever cam or three being added to the exhibit? Or not?

13. Arizona Docent

14. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

They look good. I'm just slightly disappointed that the WAP appears to be using entirely modern construction techniques. Hopefully, they give the outer structure a more appropriate facade to improve the illusion of place.

15. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

It's really starting to come together. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product when I go in September.

16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Tiger Trail | CCI

Here is the link to the contractor CCI pictures of Tiger Trails. There's 24 pages. Enjoy. :)

19. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There will be a member preview day for Tiger Trails on May 23 according to the May 2014 issue of zoonooz.

20. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately there will not be a member preview for the Tiger Trails. I spoke with costumer service on the phone and told them about the current zoonooz magazine saying that there was going to be one. They said that it was a misprint.