Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park New tiger trails

Discussion in 'United States' started by kiang, 1 Dec 2008.

1. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there won't be. I know they have to allow the people who donated $100 or more first look, but then they could have members get a view after that before the general public is allowed in. I wonder why there won't be...

2. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow those photos look great.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Considering how many households receive the magazine, that is a pretty huge misprint. I would be more inclined to believe the magazine is correct and the people on the telephone are uninformed. I mean if hundreds of members show up for the preview, what are they going to do?

5. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would guess they are falling behind on their construction schedule.

6. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

7. azcheetah2

That's great that the cam is already up and running. From what I can see, it looks to be quite nice, but all the trees concern me about visibility. I guess we'll have to wait and see when it opens and people start posting photos.

8. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

God forbid if they put too much trees in rainforest exhibit for tigers.

9. azcheetah2

Wow. What an ass-hat thing to say. I was just making an observation that I'm sure will be thought by many. Certainly no reason for that kind of response. :rolleyes:

10. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My apologies if you were taken aback by my comment. I suppose I should have explained more, I didn't see many trees in the actual exhibit from the visuals that were shown already. It was mostly bamboo and palms if I remember correctly. The neatly mowed lawn and mulched beds look a lot like what we have here in the suburbs.

11. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Well I guess that answers my earlier question! Thanks for the update!

I had the same observation. When I first saw cam sneak peak it appeared that there was a very, very narrow field of vision. Move the camera a few inches in either direction and your view is blocked by a tree. Hopefully that won't be the case when it finally goes live.

12. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Arizona Docent

Brief article, but nice. This is going to be a great exhibit.

The article says it is a $19.5 million exhibit, but I think they added a one. I believe it should be $9.5 million (which is still a gigantic sum for a tiger exhibit - perhaps a world record).

There is also a slightly misleading statement saying the tigers have twice as much space as they did in their former exhibit. This makes it sound like they have access to a larger yard when I am pretty sure all of the new yards are actually smaller than their old yard. What it should say is that the entire complex is double the size, but this includes three yards (instead of one) and multiple visitor viewing and interpretive areas.

14. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I would like to see a break down of that $9.5-million. Primarily for my own edification.

That said, what I've seen of the yards look phenomenal. I can't wait until the webcam goes live; that'll tide me over until I can make it down there next month. I'm also quite keen on seeing what the interpretative stations look like.

15. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article. Pictures look great.

That's the second article now that's repeating the $19.5-million price tag. I know building costs are essentially doubled in California, but, man, that seems steep. And while the theming looks phenomenal, but I am really looking forward to seeing it in person.

If anybody is interested the WAP is now offering a Behind the Scenes Tiger Safari for a cool seventy-five bucks per person. The description doesn't go into too many details, but I'm intrigued. Of course, I'd pay that kind of money for a good game of tug of war.

That said, I think they have some work to do with the webcams. I barely saw a tiger throughout the weekend, but during one of those instances, one of them was stalking something in their new riverbed. That was fun to watch.

17. Arizona Docent

Yes I guess it is $19.5 million. Somehow I had the $9 million figure stuck in my head - I could swear that was what it was originally reported when they were fundraising. Maybe costs escalated or they got more in donations. Or maybe I had it wrong all along. I also thought I remembered the major donation being $2 million but this article says it was $9 million. Either way it is great and I am sure there are zoos across the country that are envious of the kind of money that gets thrown around at the San Diego Zoological Society.

18. Arizona Docent

Why are there no photos in the gallery yet? What are all you lethargic ZooCahtters out there in So Cal doing? :p

19. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I'll be there in a few weeks...

20. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I just got back from a vacation in Victoria, Canada (where I didn't see one whale but did see California sea lions :mad:). I went to the Safari Park today but unfortunately it was so crowded I didn't take pictures. I will try again another day.