Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo New Tigeress for Hamilton

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Connor91, 15 Mar 2010.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wellington have said they don't intend to get anymore tigers until Cantik or Rokan pass away.

Sounds like a good plan overall but housing 3:2 tigers in one house might be a challenge?

2. Connor91

Connor91 Well-Known Member

I think the zoos are giving everyone different information, Wellington told me they plan to import an unrelated breeding pair in the future.

I think Orana could comfortably house that number of tigers as they would rotate in three groups (Sendiri and Dumai), (Molek and Berani) and (Mencari).

3. Nisha

Back to square one!

I messaged someone at Auckland Zoo and they have informed that they don't plan to breed Oz with Molek again or bring in a new female for him at this time. Molek will be staying in Auckland with Berani for the time being.

In can only think that Isha will go to Orana Park (as a non breeding female) now as she seems surpus?

4. Connor91

It's like they've all given up on breeding tigers!

5. Connor91

The mystery continues...

I received an email from Hamilton Zoo saying that the news report wasn't true. While a new female is on their wishlist, they are not receiving one in the future.

So that means Auckland are planning on retianing Oz and Molek (but not breeding), Hamilton aren't getting a mate for either of their tigers, Orana park have two brothers they don't plan to breed with and Wellington Zoo are threatening to give up on Sumatran tigers altogether!

Is it me or the breeding program not what it used to be? We have several tigers in the region that have never bred or been found a mate: Nisha, Rokan, Mencari, Jaka, Kemiri, Seletan's third son, Sendiri and Dumai, the six sumatrans at Australia Zoo...the list continues.

Will Isha, Berani and Dreamworld's three latest join the many tigers not being found mates?

6. Nisha

I don't think Nisha not breeding was through lack of trying. Oz was arranged in 2005 as a partner for her although she sadly died 4 months before he arrived. I gather that Auckland had been batteling with the Studbook holder since they recieved Nisha and Malu from Wellington in 1998 for a suitable male for her. I believe that one had been arranged around 1999 or 2000 hence them moving Malu to Perth (she's now at Mogo) in preparation for his arrival but the deal fell through at the last minute.

7. Connor91

That's interesting, it must have been a real kick in the teeth for Auckland Zoo. Do you know where her orignally planned mate went?

I can't help but feel the studbook keeper favours Australia, his zoo (Taronga) is never without a mate for their sumatran tiger.

8. Nisha

I have no idea sorry. I only found out about him through a contact on here.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any hope of a linkage with the EEP or SSP?

The region is doing extremely well at 21.23. And by the looks of it you have a considerable surplus of related Sumatrans .... Other regions have supplied Sumatrans, so some reciprocity might be welcome! :)

10. Nisha

The main bloodline in Australiasia is already represented in Europe with a male tiger (Tenang) that was sent from Perth to Paignton (UK) in 2002. He has sired two litters since he moved. First was 1:1 in 2006. Sadly the male cub (Topan) died of a heart condition aged 8 months. The female (Kirana) was moved to Chester Zoo in October 08 and has been paired with a male although she has yet to breed. He sired 2:2 in Febuary 09 with 2:1 surviving this time. The three youngest cubs are still with there mother at Paignton.

11. Connor91

We sure do have a lot of surplus sumatrans, you wouldn't believe the amount that aren't being found mates!

Yes Tenang does represnt our largest bloodline but we still have tigers outside that bloodline Tuan and Assiqua, Soroya and Raja, Binjai, Oz, Shanti, Jaya and Ndari, and Kaitlyn, Bajii and Sunita at Austrlaia Zoo. These tigers are from Germany, France, Israel and Indonesia so we we must have something good for you guys there. :)

12. Nisha

Let's see.... do you reckon Austraila Zoo and the ARAPZA would be generous enough to send one of the Indonesian cubs over here? ;)

Think Tenang could do with a break from being the number one in the studbook in terms of genes. We have had no fresh imports since he came over in 2002.

13. Connor91

That's a good idea, I reckon it would probably be one of the female cubs since their are so many females in Australasia without mates. Do you guys have many tigers from Germany? A lot of our overseas imports come from there.

I guess Assiqua (adelaide zoo) may be represented in the UK since she comes from France? She is very important to our region :)

14. Nisha

ISIS lists Europe has having 43:51 with 5 cubs born in the past year. 1:1 at Dublin and 1:2 at Lisbon. The fathers of these cubs are brothers born at Dudley Zoo (UK) on 20/5/05. They are full siblings to Tenang's mate Banda.

We may have more females than males but an unrelated tiger (whatever gender) would certinley be a very welcome addition. However since the studbook holder for Europe doesn't tend to do a very good job (I'm sure you have heard about the mistake with the "Amur" male!) :rolleyes: we may have a long wait.....

The UK is the biggest holder of Sumatran Tigers in Europe with 12 collections housing the species. Germany has 7 holders and France 8.

15. Connor91

I'm surprised Germany only has seven sumatran tiger zoos. We have so many over here form Germany: Raja and Soroya, Dumai, Binjai, Tuan, Satu and they are very valauble to our breeding program, I wonder if any of these animals are realted?

16. Nisha

That list only covers collections that list on ISIS. There may be more than seven.

Binjai was born at Rotterdam Zoo in the Netherlands not Germany. Tuan (born in 1998 at Lisbon) at Adelaide is the father of Satu (born at Stuttgart in 2005) at Taronga. They were shipped together from Stuttgart Zoo in 2006.

17. Connor91

That's interesting. I wonder why Taronga haven't bred Satu and Jumilah yet, he would have been old enough in 2009. Tuan and Assiqua are taking there time, I don't think there's any cubs at Adelaide yet?

Do you know the origins of Assiqua, I know she comes from Zoo Dohr'e in France but am unsure of her representation in Austrlasia. She seems very valauble and when she and Tuan finally have cubs, the cubs should be mostly unrelated to Austrlasia.

18. Connor91

Sorry Nisha, also forgot to ask, do you know if Binjai and Cantic (1992) (from Arnhem Zoo, Holland) are related at all?

19. Nisha

As far as I am aware Binjai and Cantik have no relation however i'm not sure that there family tree's haven't crossed somewhere along the line.

This article clearly states that Binjai came to Melbourne from Rotterdam Zoo in 2004. Arnhem is also known as Burgers Zoo. They house 0:3 Sumatrans. They are sisters born in 2006 at Chessington in the UK. Rotterdam and Burgers are completely different zoo's. Pretty certien that Cantik is also from Rotterdam lines although I can't be certien without seeing the studbook which I don't have. (Sadly!)

Zoo hopes for big cat litter - National - theage.com.au

All I know about Assiqua is that she was born in France in 1999/2000 and went to Taronga in 2001. She had 2:1 cubs in 2003 the boys are now at Orana Park in New Zealand and her daughter is with Satu at Taronga. If they want to breed Assiqua again then they need to get a move on because she will soon be to old to breed!

20. Connor91

Assiqua is born in 1999 so 2011 will be her last year for breeding, they better hurry up!

I've had a theory on Australia Zoo's sumatran tiger cubs from Indonesia, I think the male Bajii will stay at Australia Zoo to breed with Singha (2004) as will Maneki who will breed with either Juma or Ranu (2004). Then Kaitlyn will leave, either for Europe or another zoo in the Australasian region. If Kaitlyn is bred with Oz from Israel then their cubs would be valauble to both our region and Europe.