Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo New tigeress planned at Wellington Zoo

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nisha, 7 Jul 2009.

Tags:
  1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I hope that they are not going to mate all three with the indonesian animals.That would be a waste of unrepresented genetics as the wild animals genes would simply be submerged with the overrepresented bloodline of Nico and Meta. This has alrready happened with the Poetry and Frank bloodline.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They were born in September 2000. :)

3. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, Stripes.
    Would anyone happen to know when Cantik was born?

4. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

I don't know whether you know but Tenang has fathered a second litter at Paignton Zoo (in the last 6 months) with Banda, 2 females and 2 males. A female cub was euthanised recently due to health problems, but there are still 3 cubs surviving (although they are suffering with bone problems)

Also 'Topan' his son sired from the first litter died a few months after birth from a heart defect.

Kirana, the daughter sired from the first litter is now living at Chester Zoo (UK)

5. driftaguy

I knew about Topan's passing and Kirana living at Chester Zoo, but did not know about the second litter. Thank you Paulkarli08 for your information :)

If anybody else has some related information that I have excluded on my website, or has noticed any mistakes, please post it here or private-message me. I always love to hear that there are births that I have missed, because every time that happens I feel happy about the fact that breeding programmes are successful and that there are more Sumatran tigers out there than I thought.

Thanks heaps :) :) :)

6. Nisha

I have recently been in contact with someone from Wellington Zoo with regards to when Isha would be moved. It turns out that Wellington Zoo know nothing about Isha! They have no plans to obtain any more tigers at present. Since she isn't going to Wellington does anyone what's really planned for Isha?

The press release from TWPZ is still online and clearly states that she is/was going to Wellington. Zoo Welcomes Sumatran Tiger Pair - Taronga Conservation Society Australia

7. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

is there any other zoos in the wellington area?

they probably mean she will be moving to a wellington zoo...

8. Nisha

The press release says Wellington Zoo in New Zealand! I'm suprised that nobody from the zoo has spotted this and corrected it as it's a year old.

9. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

She is definately going to New Zealand. Well that has atleast been the plan for atleast the last 12 months. she is due to be separated from her brother soon as TWPZ has another female.

10. Nisha

Just to update this thread (their is a new one for it) Hamilton Zoo are getting a new tigeress as a mate for there male (born 10/1/00 at Wellington. I assume that this will be Isha. :)

11. driftaguy

I have updated my Sumatran Tigers Wikispace: The Sumatran Tigers Family Project - Powered by CO.CC
    I have nearly finished a new family tree which will have more tigers on it :)
    There are quite a few problems with the website that need fixing up that I hope to do in the next few weeks. However, all the information should be correct :)

12. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

wow that is so cool do u think u could do another one about lions

13. lionboy

Past and present lions in new zeland

Malik
    Zulu
    Sheca
    Kura
    Amerda
    Djembay
    Djane
    Zhara
    Luka
    Ryo
    Ella
    Chase
    Ben
    Hannah
    Max
    Mishka
    Keara
    Thaska
    Abodola
    Cleo
    Savannah
    Narnia
    Cora
    Jabu
    Tanza
    Shinia
    Shumba
    Zamba
    Shikera
    Ladourma
    Gandor
    Timba
    Tamba
    Sable
    Sibilie
    Moya
    Mara
    Imvoula
    Amafu
    Tombo
    Tonyie
    Lazorus
    Narla
    Kutaza
    Kuchamie
    Amanie
    Kibira
    Tiomby
    Zalika
    Sam
    Manta
    Mara
    Zion
    Jenny
    Honey
    Suzy
    Zalika
    Jade
    Ruby
    Gipsy
    Eddie
    Qunnie
    Toby
    Jake
    Millie
    Zac
    Lea
    Aslin
    asha

are these all the lions that are and that have been in nz feel free to add ant more

14. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

That's a big list :)

Auckland Zoo has had many since they opened in 1922. Their current pride are lions Lazerus and Ngala and lioness' Kura (1998), Sheeka (1999) and Amira (2001).

There's also Orana Park's Pride which includes Kiara (1998), her 2002 cubs Kahn, Sakura and Miska as well as Kiara and Miska's 2009 litters. Also at the park are Pricilla (1998) and her cubs Ra (2002), Leah and Meeka (2004). The father of the cubs born between 2002-2004 is Toby who was born at Paradise Park in 1998. Orana Park had many lions before this pride began, the last one was called Cemba.

The founding members of Paradise Valley Springs were circus lions named Leo, Sheba and Cleo. Cleo gave birth to Sam in 1988 who was later transferred to Wellington Zoo. Sheba gave birth to Suzy (1986) and Honey (1988). Suzy had six cubs: Jenny and Jade (1990), Jake and Scarlett (1994), Ryo (1995) and Toby (1998) while her younger sister Honey had three cubs: Ruby (1992) and Max and Millie (2000). The next breeding female was called Ryo, she produced seven cubs named Zac and Zalika (2001), Leah and Luca (2004), Aslan and Asha (2005) and Ben (2007). Rygo handed over the torch to Luca as breeding female who has since produced Hanna (2007), Chase and Ella (2010).

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: 16 Mar 2011
  15. driftaguy

I have got some more information that I will be posting on my website soon (hopefully in the next few weeks). I was going to upload it before Christmas, but I have been having toruble logging into my email address in the past few months. I am planning o add some more tigers on the site, and I have also made a new design and a new Family Tree.

16. lionboy

ok cool thnls heaps axi i have been looking for this info evrey where where did u find out about shiba cleo and leo

17. lionboy

and do u no the other lione at auckland zoo in the 1990

18. lionboy

and do i no how leo cleo and sheba die

19. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Axi, I like it :)

I got the infromation about Sheba, Cleo and Leo from Paradise Valley Park, I emailed them a few years ago and they sent me a poster of all the lion cubs born at Paradise Valley including their dates of birth and their parents. Perhaps they could send you one.

Paradise Valley sent two lionesses' to Auckland Zoo, they were called Jade (1990) and Ruby (1992). They could have been transferred there around the same time Sam (1988) went to live there. As mentioned, the export of these animals coincided with the arrival of purebred African lions Tonyi and Tombo in 1998, and the subsequent conversion of the lion pit into a tiger arena for the Sumatran tiger Nisha who arrived the same year.

TVNZ KidZone played a children's music video 'We're going on a Lion Hunt' up until February 2011 which showed the lions still in the old lion pit, it must be a very old video!

PS. You mentioned a lioness named Shania (at Zion Park) in your list, she was orignally called Scarlett and was born in 1994 at Paradsie Valley Springs. Her brother from the same litter is called Jake.

20. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can this conversation be moved to the Lions in NZ thread, I know it's about Zion but is more appropriate. I keep opening this expecting for an update on the title.