Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens New white rhino

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 22 Sep 2009.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just wondering if the new female white rhino have arrived from South Africa yet?

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Short answer - no! ;)

Myself and zoogiraffe spent some time talking to keepers on Saturday but I don't remember a timescale for this (maybe zoogiraffe does? Sorry - been a long day!).

For the moment there's still just the two boys and they are still not mixed.

3. Nisha

Is there a chance that they won't be coming? :confused:

4. Maguari

They are still coming as far as I'm aware - I'm just not entirely sure when!

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

If i remember correctly they should be here before the end of the year but the problem been at the moment is the fact they are only allowed to fly them into Stansted and they can only arrive on a saturday for some strange reason.

6. Maguari

Yes - I remember that bit now! I really do need to get some sleep... :)

7. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On my visit last Saturday I spoke to the Rhino keeper who told me the two males had mixed OK but the old male is happier without the more boisterous youngster around . Around mid-day the two were swapped around from paddock to yards .

8. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

The two female rhinos have arrived.Viewed on Wednesday 28th Oct.In hard paddock area.Very lively and nosing Monty through fence.Monty was in outside trying desparately to get to see new females.Old rhino male was inside- secluded area to left as you enter rhino house and not animated at all.Zebras kept in own paddocks due to Monty being very boisterous.He even climbed onto rocks outside hard paddock to try to get to females.Stayed by females looking through bars all day.

9. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

Yes I saw them on Sunday, they were inside then outside, and the male outside was more than interested!! They oblingingly pee'd everywhere for him too!!

10. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

Rhino at Cotswold Wildlife Park

Male rhino and 2 young female together in paddock.Very bositerous and agressive -danger of pushing each other into ditch!Male trying to mount both females.As it grew dark keeper could not get male in separately to rhino house.Keeper said they would be kept apart for a while because if females kept refusing the male would give up-also too young to breed at present.

11. Nisha

The girls have now been named Ruby and Nancy