Join our zoo community

New York Aquarium New York Aquarium News

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 25 May 2013.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well since the aquarium officially reopens today (May 25) for the first time since Hurricane Sandy I thought it'd be appropriate to start a news thread for it!:)

The aquarium is only partially open for now with a reduced fee and will not fully reopen until 2016. Sea Cliffs, Grover's Reef, the aquatheater, and the Conservation Hall are what's open for now. The shark tank is planned to be reopened in 2014 and the new shark building is planned to be finished in 2017. The aquarium is open from 10am-6pm today and is holding penguin and Walrus feedings today.

~Thylo:cool:

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. ThylacineAlive

I completely forgot about that news thread, sorry. I started this one since the aquarium is, more or less, having a fresh start so I thought a new news thread would be appropriate. From what I see the two news threads are on the same forum, though.

4. ThylacineAlive

I'm going to be visiting the aquarium this weekend so is there anything anyone wants me to photograph/find out?

5. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Ask them why they are spending an exorbitant amount of money on Ocean Wonders: Sharks! when it will only be 500,000 gallons. :D

6. ThylacineAlive

Well I visited the aquarium yesterday and noticed/found out a couple of things. One, nothing new has reopened yet since the aquarium reopened. Two, Ocean Wonders: Sharks! is now set to open in 2016, as oppose to 2017. Three, Tazo the aquarium's Northern Sea Otter is off-exhibit indefinitely due to him fighting with the two Southern Sea Otters. Four, the Northern Fur Seals that were sent to the Mystic Aquarium were the aquarium's last fur seals and they no longer hold the species. And five, an Atlantic Harbor Seal pup was born at the aquarium in June, I believe his name is Buddy.

On a side personal note, Sea Otters and Walruses are huge!!:eek: I knew they were big, but they are monsters in person!

I think the Walrus enclosure is a bit too small for two Walruses, by the way. I liked much of the rest of the aquarium though the signage was very poor in the Conservation Hall and almost all was electronic which is my greatest enemy! I was pretty impressed by the African Penguin enclosure, by the way. It was very large and had fish in it!:D

7. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Here is a very nice Animation Video of the upcoming new Sharks Exhibit-it looks phantastic. I hope, it will that good in real. Us-People should be happy to have such great Aquariums...

[ame=http://vimeo.com/71531056]Ocean Wonders: Sharks! Animation on Vimeo[/ame]

8. ThylacineAlive

It looks great but I highly doubt we'll get all that when it first opens due more or less to the fact that the aquarium hasn't been getting much visitation since Sandy and most is still being rebuilt. I'd love to be wrong, though, that exhibit looks great! Hopefully the signage will be as excellent (and by that I mean they'll have some:p) I liked the aquarium but they suck at signage.

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

The project is funded (largely by the City) so its construction is independent of other repairs. And once it is complete it will, for a while, solve the visitation problem.

11. Zooplantman

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the link, and I cannot believe how much things cost in New York City. The price for the "Sharks!" project has skyrocketed to $157 million and for that amount of money the exhibit should be fantastic.

13. Zooplantman

But at least it is not simply a shark tank. More like an expansion of the aquarium:
    WCS's New York Aquarium Holds Groundbreaking Ceremony for Ocean Wonders: Sharks! - Wildlife Conservation Society

Coney Island's New York Aquarium breaks ground on new $157M shark exhibit on Friday  - NY Daily News

14. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. ThylacineAlive

16. ThylacineAlive

The aquarium has updated their website.

17. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

18. ThylacineAlive

An African Penguin chick has hatched.

19. ThylacineAlive

I visited today and, while I enjoyed myself, I'm genuinely surprised that nothing other than a very temporary shark tank has been opened/reopened since my last visit in 2013. However, I am pleased to see how much new stuff they plan to open along with the shark building.

Does anyone know if Tazo the Northern Sea Otter is still at the zoo? I only saw the two Southern Sea Otters in together and then an empty pool. To my knowledge he's never really been on-show but it seems there's room for him now.

20. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When is the new shark building planned to be open?
    Are they still aiming for 2016?