Join our zoo community

New Zoo Books

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by snowleopard, 7 Nov 2016.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Beckon Books, via Southwestern Publishing House, has been producing large, colorful American zoo and aquarium guidebooks (often called 'souvenir books' in the U.S.) for the past decade. The link below contains their catalog and there is a wealth of information on each book such as publishing date, size, page numbers, etc. However, ordering the books is a bit of a dilemma, as I already own 9 of them but several others that I want can only be ordered via the specific zoo/aquarium website. Georgia Aquarium's 80-page, hardcover book is $12.99 U.S., but an additional $41 U.S. in shipping. Yikes...no thanks at that price! ($54 U.S. is $76 Canadian)

San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Smithsonian's National Zoo, Phoenix Zoo, Philadelphia Zoo, Cleveland Zoo and Bristol Zoo are all represented.

Shedd Aquarium (hardcover), Georgia Aquarium (hardcover), Aquarium of the Pacific, Birch Aquarium and New England Aquarium are the aquarium selections.

Here's the catalog:

Beckon Books

TinoPup and twilighter like this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've tried reaching out to them in the past but never got a reply :( I specifically want the Philly book, though a few of the others would be nice as well. Philly doesn't keep it in their stores (most zoos seem to not carry books about themselves!)

snowleopard likes this.
  3. snowleopard

Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago has had history books published in the past and a new one came out in 2018. It seems to only be available on the zoo's website (see the link below) and sells for approximately $40 U.S. and consists of 204 pages.

I'm not going to order this particular book, as it is an additional $40 U.S. for shipping. The final price is $83.12 U.S. and that equals about $111 Canadian. Yikes!

Book | Reach: The Remarkable Impact 150th Anniversary

4. snowleopard

TinoPup likes this.
  5. snowleopard

twilighter and TinoPup like this.
  6. snowleopard

Felids and Hyenas of the World: Wildcats, Panthers, Lynx, Pumas, Ocelots, Caracals, and Relatives (September 2020) is now available for pre-order on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Felids-Hyena...58&s=books&sprefix=felids+and+,aps,207&sr=1-1

This is author Dr. Jose R. Castello's 3rd book in the ongoing series and the first two are very well done.

Bovids of the World: Antelopes, Gazelles, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, and Relatives (2016)

https://www.amazon.com/Bovids-World...elló&s=books&sr=1-2&text=Dr.+José+R.+Castelló

Canids of the World: Wolves, Wild Dogs, Foxes, Jackals, Coyotes, and Their Relatives (2018)

https://www.amazon.com/Canids-World...elló&s=books&sr=1-3&text=Dr.+José+R.+Castelló

7. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

snowleopard likes this.
  8. snowleopard

9. snowleopard

Jungle Man, twilighter and TinoPup like this.
  10. snowleopard

Dublin Zoo: An Illustrated History (Catherine de Courcy) was published in 2009 and it is a superb zoo book and a valuable asset in my collection. I see that Dublin Zoo: An Illustrated History - New Edition (Catherine de Courcy) has been published in 2020 and I was wondering if anyone has purchased it yet. Are there a couple of new chapters at the end recapping events from the past decade...or has the entire book been tweaked a little in terms of historical photographs and events?

Here is a link to Dubray Books:

Dublin Zoo Illustrated History

Here is a blurb on the Dublin Zoo website:

Dublin Zoo: An illustrated history. New Edition | Dublin Zoo

lamol, Jungle Man and TinoPup like this.
  11. snowleopard

Arek, TinoPup and twilighter like this.
  12. TinoPup

Australia Zoo has released a book, written by Bindi.
    Creating a Conservation Legacy
    "In celebration of Australia Zoo's 50th birthday, we are incredibly proud to announce a very special new book! Join Bindi Irwin as she takes you on the amazing journey from humble beginnings through to where we are today - effecting change in our own backyard and around the globe. It's a substantial story that includes hundreds of photos from the Irwin family archives - many that have never been seen before. The 272-page book is printed locally here in Australia, with a choice of soft or hardcover options. Order now to be one of the first to receive your copy, and in doing so, contribute to Steve's ongoing conservation legacy." It's $50 ($38.50 US) for softcover, $100 ($77 US) for hardcover. No idea if it can be ordered in the USA.

Mac, Tafin, snowleopard and 2 others like this.
  13. snowleopard

Master Pongo: A Gorilla Conquers Europe (Mustafa Haikal) is a 2020 book that is a translation of the original, 2013 German publication. I have already purchased a copy, via Amazon, and the hardcover is a small book of only 120 pages, plus an additional 11 pages of 'short biographies' of famous individuals mentioned in the book.

https://www.amazon.ca/Master-Pongo-...&keywords=pongo+gorilla&qid=1614227731&sr=8-3

The Wanderlust Keeper (Wild Mike Miller) was just published in January 2021 and it is a 208-page book from a "dedicated animal care professional" who has visited over 50 zoos. (That makes him a rookie by ZooChat standards ;))

https://www.amazon.ca/Wanderlust-Ke...words=wanderlust+keeper&qid=1614227913&sr=8-1

Tafin, Antoine, TinoPup and 1 other person like this.
  14. TinoPup

The only thing I can find on this guy is he worked at Six Flags in NJ (a poor quality safari/zoo) and attempted to break the world karaoke marathon record to raise money for the wounded warrior project. For a guy giving himself a nickname and publishing a book about his job, you'd think there'd be slightly more on the internet about him...

Wisp O' Mist and snowleopard like this.
  15. snowleopard

16. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. TinoPup

twilighter likes this.
  18. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My bad @TinoPup. I haven't seen it mentioned and I used the wrong thread.

TinoPup likes this.
  19. snowleopard

TinoPup likes this.
  20. TinoPup

A new book coming out soon: The Social Value of Zoos by Tawnya Switzer & John Fraser (Cambridge University Press, 2021). It focuses on how zoos contribute to society, educate people about animals, and help with conservation. It's been "made possible" by the AZA research initiative Why Zoos and Aquariums Matter. It's 300 pages and comes out April 15th. $34 for paperback, $100 for hardcover.

Here's an overview: The Social Value of Zoos | FifteenEightyFour | Cambridge University Press
    Discussion guide, which gives you a general idea of the chapters: https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...5/The-Social-Value-of-Zoos-Learning-Guide.pdf
    Book: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academ...tional-psychology/social-value-zoos?format=PB
    Amazon US link: https://www.amazon.com/Social-Value...ef=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1617154231

snowleopard and twilighter like this.