Join our zoo community

New zoo in Sweden to open in 2022

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Daniel Sörensen, 3 Oct 2021.

1. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

A new zoo is opening here in Sweden in 2022, here is an article I translated to English about it.

"In the spring of 2022, Småland's latest zoo will open. It will house several exotic animals. SVT News had an early visit and got to see both zebras and alpacas.

Among lingonberry bushes and black and white birch trees, two equally black and white zebras stroll. The two young plains zebras Zwassy and Swally moved from their former home in France to Ingelstadsgymnasiet (a school) located close to the town Växjö.
    - They come from a zoo in France, and it is part of the collaboration we have with other zoos, says Thomas Himmel who is a zoologist at Ingelstadgymnasiet.

The idea of having exotic animals at a school is to raise the quality of education. Many of those who study animal care at the school want to work at a zoo in the future.
    - It is an important part of our development of the school as an educational place, both for high school students, but also for adult education, says Katrin Bladh, principal at Ingelstadgymnasiet.

So far, there are zebras, alpacas, and wallaby kangaroos at Ingelstadgymnasiet. More animals will be added in the future.

So far, only students and staff are allowed to meet the new animals, but in the spring the gates will open and the public can visit the new zoo."
    Source: Zebror i lingonriset – ny djurpark väntas i Ingelstad

Last edited: 3 Oct 2021
    kiang, twilighter and Zorro like this.
  2. Bactrian Deer

Bactrian Deer Well-Known Member

Has it opened yet? I can’t find the article. This is also the 1,000 message in the Sweden forum.

3. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

It seems like it has! Ingelstad djurpark | ingelstad.nu
    Mostly seem to be domestic animals though, with the most exciting being Grant's zebras..

Bactrian Deer likes this.