Join our zoo community

New Zooguidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Zebraduiker, 19 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

To anwer your question, please read again :

Germans do not buy guidebooks. Can anybody explain me, why british, polish and czech people buy them ? I have no idea...

To your info: Many zoos in Britain, Poland and Czech still publish guidebooks. That's why I assume that they (must) be bought there. I hardly believe that 10,000 zoo guides will be printed there just to dispose of 9,500 of them in the waste paper.

German zoos stopped printing guides, because nobody here in GERMANY buys them, and with NOBODY I mean common Zoo visitors, not Zoofans. Zoo guides are NOT made for the collectors, you know...;)

By the way, I can't buy Guidebooks- How can I buy something that is not on offer? As I said, there are no Guidebooks in germany to buy....and currently, its not easy to travel around.:) The last guide I bought was an Artis Guide frmm the 1870 ties. And believe me, I didn't buy it at the zoo or at Aldi.;)

The last guidebook I've bought directly from a zoo during a visit, is a long time ago, a long time....

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Funny thing.... the last guide I bought directly from a German zoo were a pair of newly-published ones at the time of my last visit to Germany :p to wit, Leipzig and Halle....unless autumn 2018 counts as "a long time ago" of course! The most recently published German guide I own (Walsrode) was published even more recently, in spring 2019 - and you even posted yourself on the last page to note that this guide, and 2019 guides for Erfurt and Muenster, had been released. But then, you've always had a penchant for stretching the available facts to fit whatever claim you wish to make, then flipping to the opposite claim just to bait people... so I am not at all sure why I am bothering to engage with this argument!

3. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pairi Daiza has a new guide book, available online.
    Unfortunately for our international friends, only in french at the moment.

twilighter likes this.
  4. Antoine

I received it today and it's a really nice guide, unfortunately in czech !

pipaluk and TeaLovingDave like this.
  5. TeaLovingDave

Unfortunately it seems Zlin don't ship to the UK :(

6. Antoine

@TeaLovingDave I contacted them by email and deal directly. Of course, you must do international bank transfer which can be easy or not (for me it was).

7. Bib Fortuna

I can't understand why they do not publish their nice guidebook also in english. Which is, by the way, with 12.90 Euros very expensive. But, why not, if the guidebook is a good one...

8. Bib Fortuna

I have an extra copy for exchange, so if you want it...I'm still looking for some british guides from the past years, so London ,Whipsnade 2019 or Marwell 2018 and 2019, for example.

9. Antoine

I suppose there will be a flemish one in the near future but I agree with you, an english guide would be a great idea.

I will receive my copy next week so will tell you if it looks good for me or not.

10. Bib Fortuna

How much you have to pay for the shipping ?

But you are lucky enough-you can read it....:)

Of courseI want this guidebook, too. It seems to be, according to the few picture of its contens, the best guide ever published by Pairi Daiza. And of course it has an Panda -Mom with Baby-Panda-Cover :) More reason to get two copies.

By the way-Pairi Daiza is one of just two Giant panda holders in europe, who is still publishing a Guidebook.Maybe three-I don't know, if Moskow Zoo still has a guidebook.

11. TeaLovingDave

I make it five (Pairi, Ouwehands, Beauval, Moscow, Copenhagen) :p all of which have issued a guidebook since 2018.

12. Bib Fortuna

I was in Beauval last year. Nobody even knew what a zoo guide is anymore - there was nothing, the last zoo guide was published in 1998. Ouwehands is right, Moscow very likely. But that Copenhagen should have a new zoo guide? That would be the first since 2009. When will it be published ? Do you have any details ? I only know that they have published a brochure about pandas, but that is not what I understand by a zoo guide.

Of course it always depends on the point of view, what exactly is meant by a "zoo guide" - there are obviously many different opinions about it.

13. TeaLovingDave

That may well account for some of the disparity - I am going off the master lists on Jonas Livet's site, which show the following for each collection in question:

Beauval

upload_2020-10-18_17-39-36.png

Copenhagen

upload_2020-10-18_17-40-28.png

Ouwehands

upload_2020-10-18_17-41-38.png

Moscow

upload_2020-10-18_17-42-18.png

Jungle Man and Antoine like this.
  14. Antoine

@Bib Fortuna The shipping was 5,90 € for three guide books so not expensive.

@TeaLovingDave The Beauval's first one is not a guide book as there are very few texts and just pictures of the most important animals. To be complete there were three releases of this book. I can buy some for those who are interested in. The price is 9,90 € and I think you can buy online (not up to date to the dome).

The two others are definitely not guide books. One is just on the panda baby and the other is a press file.

15. Antoine

twilighter likes this.
  16. Antoine

I received Pairi Daiza new guide and I don't like it too much :
    - In my opinion two many pages on the monuments and Eric Domb's travels and dreams.
    - the texts on animals are not really interesting. Just general infos.
    - just two pages on reptiles !
    - few on conservation actions.
    - nothing on the vets, keepers...
    - few or nothing on animals facilities.

I'd rather prefer Exmoor or Hamerton type !

17. Bib Fortuna

San Diego Zoo is offering new 2021 editions of their Zoo Guide in their online store, but with the cover images of the 2019- Koala- for the Zoo, and 2018-Tiger- for Wild Animal Park Editions.

Does ANYONE have these 2021 editions and can confirm that they have been updated in content, possibly even have a new cover photo ?

Incidentally, the Walsrode Bird Park has a new park guide from 2021. The cover picture shows a Golden Headed Manakin and butterflies. Still have copies for exchange.

Antoine likes this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

Very nice indeed :) I will have to check if I have any spares which would interest you, as I do like keeping my Walsrode collection as complete as possible!

Antoine likes this.
  19. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the heads-up about the guidebooks, but the shipping costs are astronomical. Whether I order a couple of $5 books or a whole bunch of things, the shipping is set at $39.86 US (almost $50 Canadian) and that's a crazy total.

Antoine likes this.
  20. Antoine

And 40 euros for shipping in Europe ! Really expensive but some years ago it was far more (about $80 US so 65 euros).

snowleopard likes this.