Join our zoo community

New Zooguidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Zebraduiker, 19 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Yes, but in terms of content, the new one is almost identical to its 2019 predecessor, but it has 12 more pages, and a new foreword by Javier Gimeno, who also discusses the pandemic. Plan is fortunately in it.:)
    Those who collect completely, of course, absolutely need it. I was in Walsrode 3 weeks ago - it's the first German zoo guide I'd bought myself on a zoo visit in years that I didn't already have in the collection before. I honestly didn't think that walsrode would publish a guide again - so it was a surprise for me. The edition has now been reduced from 5000 to 4000 copies. For information: In the 80s, the editions have been up to 150,000 copies!

What is still funny - the thing is called Parkguide. Who now buys the guide as an English-speaking visitor, assuming that it is also in English, is wrong ...:D

Yes, we Germans do not really like our language...in 20 or 30 years, we speak here also all English:)
    Should the San Diego WAP Zoo Guide really be from 2021, theoretically the platypuses should be in it-maybe even as a cover picture ?

That would be ingenious...

2. Bib Fortuna

Yes, really great postage. If these are really new editions, I will organize a collective order and we will share the postage...maybe some others here are interested, too ?I did that with San Diego 3 years ago when they sold their anniversary book for half - worked out great.

The Oceanografic Valencia has also a new guide, also as English edition. It costs 15 euros and 18 euros for postage...altough I really would like to get, I won't pay more for the shipping, than for item itself...same for Rome Zoo-they have a 2018 Guide, also in englisch and even in german language...

Antoine likes this.
  3. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For sure :)

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Indeed - not including the new 2021 edition, my collection of Walsrode guidebooks is nearly complete, missing only the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th editions, so it would be rather nice to keep things as up-to-date as possible!

I seem to recall that this is the third or fourth time in a row that you have been surprised at Walsrode releasing a new guide :p given the fact it is only two years since the last one, it perhaps suggests they sold out of that one faster than expected!

5. Bib Fortuna

The San Diego Zooshop told me now :"Yes, I believe they did use the same cover shots as before - the pictures on ShopZoo.com are the current versions. The content is updated however to reflect recent changes at both parks."

Why change the cover pic-it shows a Koala and Tiger, so poelne will buy them better than other species like Okapi ode Platypus. Nevertheless, I have to buy them both. But in a couple of years, the San Diego Zoos Guide will get a new cover species- a giant panda !:)

junglejim likes this.
  6. Antoine

Update for french zoo guide books :

- Parc de Branféré, as each year, has a new guide for 2021. However this is not just a new edition but a complete new guide more focussing on the zoo and less on all the species. Different from the previous but interesting too. For sale for 5 or 6 € (I don't remember) only at the zoo. For those who are interested in, I could try to get some copies.

- Sigean has a new edition for 2021 for its guide. The previous one was created in 2019. I don't received the new one yet (already ordered) but it's a 190 pages guide with 96 animal records and 200 colored photographies. The past was very good so I suppose it will be the same with updated species (red riverg hogs, new reptile house...). For sale, only at the zoo for 15 €. If some are interested I can collect some copies.

- Bioparc Doué la Fontaine published a brand new book for it's 60's anniversary. The book has 162 pages and is full of very nice photos. It speaks about a lot of different things such as :
    - the differents areas and animals in the zoo,
    - the conservation projects linked to each area,
    - some of the zoo's employees and people close to the park,
    - the story of the zoo.
    ...​
    For the sale at the zoo for 19,90 €. I can collect too.

As usual, this stuff is only available in french as as you know, for french there is just « la langue de Molière » and nothing else :p It's a joke. Sigean's guide are usually available in catalan language too ;)

Arizona Docent likes this.
  7. Antoine

Prague release a new lexicon for its 90's anniversary.
    This new guide book is 298 pages and presents 564 species and subspecies in 339 entries and more than 500 photos. Tasmanian devil on front cover.
    A must have for zoo collector even if it is only available in czech ;)

8. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing @Antoine

Antoine likes this.
  9. Antoine

A friend of mine was in la Flèche yesterday and informed me that there is a new guide book called "L'atlas des animaux" with 71 pages and sale for 5 euros.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  10. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank goodness the San Diego Zoo still is doing the guide books! Other so called zoo's showing NO interest of doing so.

11. Antoine

Some news for french zoos :

- CERZA is selling a new guide book with cheetah on front cover. I don't know more for the moment except the price (3 €). This guide must be up-to-date with the last species such as binturong, sulawesi babirusa and eastern ring-tailed vontsira. I will know more after receiving my order :)

- Beauval release a new photo book which is the document that can be consider the closest to a guide(the zoo published its last guide more than twenty years ago). This photo book is a new edition of the previous one with addition of the new species from the tropical dome. There are very few text but photos are nice. Price : 9,50 €

Some pictures to show you what it looks like :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for my fingers but it is hard to keep opened !

12. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is there a chance that I can order the Beauval-Book online? (Only found the old one)

OR (much more appreciated):

Do you have a copy of the new AND the old Beauval book left and I can buy it from you? (Deal methods by private messages)

13. Antoine

@zoomaniac Indeed it's surprising that they sell the old online. Maybe a mistake. Unfortunately I have no other copy of the old or new book at the moment. If you are not in a hurry, it would be a pleasure to take the new one for you next time (not sure whent it will be). If you have some stuff to exchange (to make the deal) it would be perfect. If not, doesn't matter and we will see together ;)

14. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Talking about the just two l'Oceanogràfic guidebooks in 20 years, the 2nd one with beluga in the front cover it's almost identical to the 1st one. In fact in the 2nd the walruses are still indicated as presents in the park, when in fact, they leaved months before i saw the "new" guidebook for sale.
    And off course the new facility and species (Puffins, guillemots, eiders, mackerel...) in artic are not presented.

15. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The new Dublin Zoo guidebook has been released recently. Written by our very own John Tuson. If anyone wants a copy I’m happy to pick one up for you next week just send me a pm.

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

On arrival at Walsrode today I discovered a 2022 guidebook has now been published!

IMG_20220610_100144007.jpg

17. Baringogiraffe12

Baringogiraffe12 Well-Known Member

This thread hasn't been updated in a while, so thought to add new additions:

Colchester Zoo (2023) - 60th anniversary guide
    Dudley Zoo (2024) - tiger [pocket guide]
    Edinburgh Zoo (2023) - king penguin
    Hamerton Zoo (2022) - wombat
    Highland Wildlife Park (2024) - snow leopard/polar bear cover
    Knowsley Safari Park (2023) - white rhino
    South Lakes Safari Zoo (2023) - ratel w/ mitred conure pullout
    West Midlands Safari Park (2022) - red panda

Arek, Antoine and bongorob like this.