Join our zoo community

New Zooguidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Zebraduiker, 19 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

I have a 2008 edition of Adelaide Zoo and a probably 2007 edition of Sydney Wildlife World.

2. Zebraduiker

Yesterday I've got an e-mail from San Diego Online shop regarding a new guidebook for the WAP. Unfortunately, there are no plans to publish a new guidebook for the WAP in 2009, but maybe, if we have luck, in 2010.

3. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

There was a new San Diego Zoo guide printed in 2007, with a giant panda on the cover. It's titled "Welcome to the San Diego Zoo".

4. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

5. Zebraduiker

I want to know if there are new guides for the oceanarium lissabon and the zoo Madrid.
    I've visetd the oceanarium in 2006, at this time, they sold still the 1998 edition guidebook, but maybe, they have now a new one ?

A few days ago, i've got the 2006 edition guidebook of Ueno-Zoo, great guidebook, as like as most of the japanese guidebooks ! I'm still trying to get an Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium Guidebook, can anybody help me ?

6. Zebraduiker

How many guidebooks has the Georgia Aquarium published until nnow ? I know three, the 2005 edition with a beluga whale on the cover, and two in 2007 with the same cover, a whale shark. Unfortunately, I have none of them. Do they have a new one for 2008 ?

And do have the Boston and Baltimore Aquariums a guidebook on sale now ?

7. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I have recently got hold of Berlin Zoo's new guidebook for 2008 (51st edition), featuring an aye aye on the front cover. And here's an interesting thing! The previous guide (hippo, 50th edition) was a break from berlin tradition - still fairly conservative, but new photos, slightly more modern design, snappier look. it was written by Dr Jurgen Lange. The new edition is back to the same old style, very conservative, could have been from any year in the past forty. I love it, I must admit, but I can see that some wouldn't. Written by Bernie Blaszkiewitz. Is there some sort of turf war going on here?

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Zebraduiker: I visited the Georgia Aquarium this past August, and the guidebook that I bought has a whale shark on the cover. Also, I purchased an outstanding book for about $25 that has a great history of this relatively young aquarium. There are a few pages of designs for exhibits that were never even built!

9. Zebraduiker

@scoty mangaby. The new zooguidebook from Berlin Zoo is mch better than the 2007 edition, can you read german ? So if you can read the geramn animal names, see what tehy have in the deers ection- a swamp deer ! It's the last outside of south america, but it is living since a few years behind the schens, so i wonder, why it is now in the guidebook ? Its the same with the pottos and pygmy slow loris, they are behind the scenes and not to see for the visiors, but they are in the guidebook...

@snowleopard. Sounds good, I will try o get a copy. I will see the aquarium in june 2009, but maybe, they will have a new guide until then. How big is the book , $25 are not very much for a zoobook...And how much is the guidebook, could you buy it at the entrance or in the giftshop ?

10. snowleopard

@zebraduiker: the book is hardcover and full of both fascinating information and terrific photos. The chapters on the conception and building of the aquarium are the best, there is a chapter on each of the main galleries, and it is at least a couple of hundred pages. The guidebook is sold at the entrance and I think that it was $6. It's of a high quality material and is thicker than most guidebooks.

11. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

I've just got the 2008 West Midlands safari park guidebook, and I'm very impressed with it! I know I have slated the park's ethical issues with their breeding of white lions and tigers for a while now, but the information given on all of the species within the park is really good, and detailed.

One of the best guide books i've bought this year!

12. Zebraduiker

@snowleopard. Can you tell me more about the georgia aquarium guidebook, how many pages has it and can you descripe the cover ? I've got today the 2007 edition,( at last, I have a guidebook from the Georgia Aquarium!),it's a small booklet with 45 pages, a map in the middle and a whaleshark and some yellow fishes with black stripes( i know the german name for this species, but not the english name) swimming in front of his mouth on the cover. Nice guidebook, but they have only a few species inside. And $ 6 are to much for a guidebook that size and quality.

13. snowleopard

@Zebraduiker: I've been living in the tiny Caribbean nation of Trinidad of Tobago for the past 7 weeks, and I'm still here for 3 more weeks teaching high school. I will be chatting to my wife via cell phone later today and will get her to check the guidebook out for me back home, but the one that you have sounds identical to the one that I just bought in August. I'll privately message you once I find out what the book looks like, and I think that $6 was a bit expensive...

14. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I just finished a catalogue of my zooguides and here are some newer ones not mentioned yet:

Disney's Animal Kingdom, 2007, "Imagineering Guide to DAK"
    Blackpool Zoo, 2007, Toco Toucan
    Colchester Zoo, 2007, Sea Lions, Elephants, Tiger, People
    Jersey Zoo, 2007, Livingstone's Fruit Bat

15. Zebraduiker

The Safaripark Stukenbrock in germany has published recently a new guidebook with a unuasally cover animal , it is the zebra/pony hybdrid they got last year ( I 've got one for you, okapikpr-a copy of the guidebook, not a zebra/pony hybrid)

Colchester has a new guidebook this year also with aorang utana nd three little pictures on the cover. And Howletts did it again, yeah, this zoo holds the record in changing the size of its guidebooks in Britain ! The 2008 edition(yeah, with a gorilla on the cover-they never had a gorilla on their guidebooks cover ,Ha,Ha). Does has this zoo no other animals ? ) is smaller than the 2007 edition and it has, for the first time, a spiral spinage.

16. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I really wanted the zebra/pony hybird! :(

17. Zebraduiker

I look out, what I can do, but I want in exchange-Harry ,Ha,Ha,Ha. Its a fair deal, a really rare species in exchange to another really rare species.

18. Zebraduiker

The Toronto Zoo will publish a brand new guidebook in May and it will be totally diffrent to the present one !

19. fanaloka

fanaloka Well-Known Member

Just before a while (Saturday, January 24, 2009, 6.00pm CET) I uploaded a photo featuring the cover of the brand new guide book which I acquired for my collection. As we still do not have a separate gallery for "zoo memorabilia" I uploaded it in the gallery set for Japan as the very first photo in Adventure World. As I pointed it out in the description I believe it is the first zoo/aquarium guide book edited in 2009 !!!!

20. Zebraduiker

@Fanaloka. Thank you for posting a cover pic of your new adventureworld Guidebook. I agree with you, it would be very helpful to have an own photo gallery for zoo memorabillia.

Now I can try to get also this guideboook, because I still have nothing of this park. Do you, or anybody else here, have other newer japanese zoo and aquarium guidebooks ? I only have the 2007 edition of the Ueno-Zoo.

So maybe of the Toba Aquarium, the latest edition I have is from the Mid 90ties and shows a drawn dugong on the cover, or from Churaumi Aquarium, I have just the 2002 edition with the whale sharks on the cover ? I still try to get the Osaka aquarium guidebook, or there are newer guidebooks of Kyoto Zoo, Kamogawa Seaworld or the zoos in Yokohama ?

And I just want to know if the Two Oceans Aquarium in South africa ( I think, cape town ) has published a guidebook ?