Join our zoo community

New Zooguidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Zebraduiker, 19 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope that my local zoo Marwell does a new guide book this year

2. panpaniscus

panpaniscus Member

Hi everibody, I`m new, Somebody know how I can find and buy the Disney animal kingdom zooguidebook??
    Thanks

3. Miniaturezoo954

Miniaturezoo954 Well-Known Member

Well if you are refering to The making of Animal Kingdom theme park, book, from 1998 with information of the park construction, animal species and plans i have it, (two of them) but i'm not sure if this is the book you are refering to, i'm very familiar with animal kingdom, being there about 11 times already and planing on going back in a couple of weeks for valentine's day. Maybe i can find this guidebook you are talking about, what is the name of it?
    Danny

4. fanaloka

fanaloka Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to "zoochat". Below you will find a list of all books and guides I have in my collection from Disney's Animal Kingdom. I think that those last editions should be still available. And of course you can always try to find this or that book or guide on "ebay" auction.

1. A Sneak Preview, Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Copyright 1997, First Edition (Hyperion,N.Y.), oblong, 31p., sc., cover-col.drawing of different African animals and „tree of life”, black framed;
    2. BOOK: The making of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, by Melody Malmberg, 1998, Hyperion, New York, h.c. + jacket, 192p.;
    3. $5.00 Disney’s Animal Kingdom, The Official Insider’s Guide, A Collectors Book from Disney Magazine, nd-1998, ls.,vert., 40p., cover- full page colour photo of the young lion;
    4. Field Guide To Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, Use This Guide To.... , © 2000, cover-main col.photo of giraffe + 3 smaller insets, etc.;
    5. The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney’s Animal Kingdom...., 2007by Disney Editions New York, 125+pages,cover-tree of life;
    6. Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Where dreams come true, Souvenir Book, nd-2008, sq., cover- Disney’s chcracters by the baobab tree;

5. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

The Oceaneum Stralsund in germany, opened in July 2008, has now published its first guidebook. Its has 80 pages, a map of the building, but it is in small size and quite expensive !

6. panpaniscus

panpaniscus Member

Hi Miniaturezoo954, thanks for be so fast. I´m looking for that one exactly (1998)
    You`re lucky, you have the DAK near to you! jeje
    I`m really interested in the book. We can speak, if you want a change for one of mines or you want sell me.. is ok for me!
    Thanks again, and thanks too Fanaloka!!

7. Zebraduiker

The first german zooguidebook in that year was recentcly published by Leipzig Zoo, edition 2009/2010, with a surgeon fish on the cover.

8. Zebraduiker

London Zoo and Whipsnade have published their 2009 edition guidebooks. London does have a red panda on the cover, Whipsnade a brown bear.

They are available at the Zoos Online giftshop also.

9. zooman1

Des anyone know if these are different inside to last years guide with a cheetah and tiger on the front.

10. zooman1

Banham Zoo has a new guide coming out on the 3rd of April any one else now if other uk zoos have new guides this year

11. Zebraduiker

Belfast zoo celebrates its 75 years anniversary this year, does anybody know if they will publish a new guidebook, the last guide was published in 2001 !

12. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Last Sunday I bought the 2008 edition of the guide of Artis (Amsterdam Zoo). As always a beautiful booklet with 80 pages full of animals, history, etc. Artis publishes the most beautiful guides of The Netherlands.

13. Zebraduiker

Yes, I like the Artis Guidebook also and Artis is publishing almost every year a new edition.
    Do you know if Emmen has a new guidebook, or do they still sold the 2006 edition with the pelican on the cover ?

I hope, Rotterdam will do new, much better guidebooks then the present one in the future, I think so, because the new director is a collector of zooguidebooks...

14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow, I had no idea zoo guidebooks were so big in Europe. Some zoos publish a new one every year??? That's amazing. Here in the U.S. only a few zoos do them, and certainly NOT every year. I have maybe 8 or so guidebooks from the roughly 60 zoos I have visited since 1990. San Diego of course does a very nice one, updated every few years, I have three versions plus two versions of the Wild Animal Park. With the opening of Elephant Odyssey next month, I'm sure they'll do a new one soon.

My zoo (Reid Park Zoo) has never done one as far as I know, but I am going to propose the idea once our new elephant expansion is complete in a couple years. The other zoo here in Tucson, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, did a very nice one (called a "scrapbook") a few years ago to commemorate their 50th anniversary.

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Arizona Docent: you sound exactly like me, as I own the unique Arizona-Sonora scrapbook guidebook and a number of copies of San Diego's semi-annual guidebook. I do have quite a few zoo books and a handful of actual guidebooks, but in Europe collecting zoo memorabilia is far different than in North America. There are literally thousands of guidebooks that are available at yearly meetings.

16. Zebraduiker

Yeah, Europe is a paradise for zooguidebook collectors, becuase most of the zoos and aquariums do publish regulary a guidebook, mostly in a time span of 2 or three years.

By the way, I have now 3,450 diffrent guidebooks from zoos and aquariums around the world, but I colelct now since 15 years. We do have an anunnual meeting of zoocolletcors, every year in another zoo, this year, it will be held at Mulhouse Zoo at the end of August.

Until the End of the eighties, much more zoos in the States do have published guidebooks, then it stopped and the guidebooks were replced to a foldout map. I've ask several zoopeople during my two zootrips to the States, and they all said the same, the visitors do not buy them....MOst amercian zoopeople coming to europe are wondering about our guidebooks and that the people buy them...Unfortunately, a few of the big german zoos are not publish guidebooks anymore, altough they have done it many,many years. Hagenbeck and Cologne had guidebooks since their openings in 1907 and 1860, but Hagenbeck stopped produing them in 2005, Cologne in 1998.Both have only maps now. Magdeburg Zoo has his last edtion in 1998 also, but some german zoos do have every year a new guide, so both Berlin Zoos and Leipzig. Britain is also a very good country for guidebook collectors. I think, during my upcoming Us-Zootrip in June and July, I will not get many guidebooks,maybe in some of the Aquariums(Boston,Baltimore,Atlanta,Mote Aquarioum and Florida Aquarium, maybe Camden)but thats it. Its a shame, the big and famous Bronx-Zoo is not publishing guidebooks, the last one was in 1999 to the 100 years anniversary of the zoo.

17. Zebraduiker

Yeah, Europe is a paradise for zooguidebook collectors, becuase most of the zoos and aquariums do publish regulary a guidebook, mostly in a time span of 2 or three years.

By the way, I have now 3,450 diffrent guidebooks from zoos and aquariums around the world, but I colelct now since 15 years. We do have an anunnual meeting of zoocolletcors, every year in another zoo, this year, it will be held at Mulhouse Zoo at the end of August.

Until the End of the eighties, much more zoos in the States do have published guidebooks, then it stopped and the guidebooks were replced to a foldout map. I've ask several zoopeople during my two zootrips to the States, and they all said the same, the visitors do not buy them....MOst amercian zoopeople coming to europe are wondering about our guidebooks and that the people buy them...Unfortunately, a few of the big german zoos are not publish guidebooks anymore, altough they have done it many,many years. Hagenbeck and Cologne had guidebooks since their openings in 1907 and 1860, but Hagenbeck stopped produing them in 2005, Cologne in 1998.Both have only maps now. Magdeburg Zoo has his last edtion in 1998 also, but some german zoos do have every year a new guide, so both Berlin Zoos and Leipzig. Britain is also a very good country for guidebook collectors. I think, during my upcoming Us-Zootrip in June and July, I will not get many guidebooks,maybe in some of the Aquariums(Boston,Baltimore,Atlanta,Mote Aquarioum and Florida Aquarium, maybe Camden)but thats it. Its a shame, the big and famous Bronx-Zoo is not publishing guidebooks, the last one was in 1999 to the 100 years anniversary of the zoo.

18. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

I don't think emmen has a new one, but I will visit the zoo very soon to find out.

3,450 guide books is amazing. I'm collecting only of Dutch zoos, and I'm not really searching but sometimes I can buy an old one. My oldest is of Artis, published in 1842!

19. fanaloka

fanaloka Well-Known Member

Starting from yesterday (Friday, April 24, 2009) a new edition of Wroclaw Zoo (Poland) guide book is on sale. To view a scanned front cover please see the photo gallery Poland - Wroclaw

20. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Emmen has no new guidebook.